Jump to content
NBC Sports EDGE Forums

2021 April Closer Thread


Recommended Posts

10 minutes ago, GratefulPhan said:

Where'd everybody go you think?

 Closers.  They are a pain in general.  I like Merryweather whether he closes or not.  And since you saw the above above this already now you know and it may save you here and since you already saw it it is now removed. 😎

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

could be perception, but April always feels like a merry go round for closers, with many "falling off" as April continues, and then relievers settle in as the rest of the season continues.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, reichl555 said:

I can tell you this right now if he pitches the way he is now (filthy and with ease) and consistent there will be know lineup or matchup issue.  He will be their closer.  I know it’s early but this guy looks dominant.  

The lineup comments are about Romano usage more so than Merryweather. Romano looks like he’s being used as the fireman and Merryweather as the closer: So I still think there will be a split but I do think Merryweather  gets the majority of chances. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, hawkeyezz said:

Yeah this forum in general used to have way more activity. What happened? Where did everyone move to? Reddit?

I’ve been wondering about this myself and I’m wondering if we are seeing a decline in the popularity of fantasy baseball. It seems like more attention is being paid to fantasy football year round. Even the fantasy sports channel on SiriusXM has several shows now that are dedicated to football year round. Also I think more people are using Twitter as a source for quicker updates. 🤷‍♂️ 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Twitter and Reddit are hot garbage. They are better for getting lineup cards early and reading about something that just happened in a game(injury/blown save/etc). This forum is a lot better for real information/insight and always will be.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, meh2 said:

I’ve been wondering about this myself and I’m wondering if we are seeing a decline in the popularity of fantasy baseball. It seems like more attention is being paid to fantasy football year round. Even the fantasy sports channel on SiriusXM has several shows now that are dedicated to football year round. Also I think more people are using Twitter as a source for quicker updates. 🤷‍♂️ 

Too bad.  This forum has been an absolute gold mine for me, probably the closer stuff  and minor leaguers the most.  I find twitter and reddit littered with falsehoods and inaccuracies and harder to sift through.  Mostly one word comments with no substance.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Getting back on track, seeing posts about dumping Karinchak & Romano. Karinchak, Clase, Romano, and Merryweather are must holds in just about all leagues. None of those guys should be on waiver wires unless you have bizarre league settings!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I own no shares of the Toronto closing situation, but while Merryweather is a good pick-up is there something about his track record I'm not seeing that makes us think he's going to be a dominant closer?  Did he overhaul his repertoire or show increased velocity in Spring Training, or something?

Otherwise this looks like a hot start for an otherwise above-average reliever (which isn't a bad thing).  

**Again, I fully admit that I may be completely unaware that this guy has added a 95 mph cutter or is In the Best Shape of His Life(tm) or some such.  

Edited by Overlord
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Overlord said:

I own no shares of the Toronto closing situation, but while Merryweather is a good pick-up is there something about his track record I'm not seeing that makes us think he's going to be a dominant closer?  Did he overhaul his repertoire or show increased velocity in Spring Training, or something?

Otherwise this looks like a hot start for an otherwise above-average reliever (which isn't a bad thing).  

**Again, I fully admit that I may be completely unaware that this guy has added a 95 mph cutter or is In the Best Shape of His Life(tm) or some such.  

He’s a late bloomer largely related to an uptick in stuff as a former starter converted to reliever and injuries. I watched both of his outings which is why I’m so enamored with his potential. He’s got a 99mph fastball with an elite changeup and a good slider. He was also locating his pitches well. His stuff right now is on par with the top 5 relievers in the game. His past health issues make him quite risky going forward so if you could somehow handcuff him with Romano you’d be in great shape. Here’s the most recent Fangraphs scouting report on him:

Merryweather was once one of those anonymous, strike-throwing Cleveland prospects who had a dramatic uptick in stuff a little later in pro ball. For Merryweather that meant mid-90s heat, a good changeup and curveball, and a breakout 2017 during which he nearly reached the majors. Then he needed surgery before the 2018 season began, was traded that year as part of the Josh Donaldson rental deal, and wasn’t back until late in 2019 as a reliever, when he looked ready to make an immediate bullpen impact, sitting 95-97 (up from 93-96) with his fastball in the Arizona Fall League. He threw harder still when the 2020 season finally rolled around, parked at 96-99 and touching 100. Toward the very end of the season he was once again shut down with elbow tendinitis. It’s concerning that over the last several years, Merryweather has been healthy and pitching in games for just a few weeks. But he has knockout backend bullpen stuff right now, and for a lot of prospects in this and other systems, that would be a great outcome. He’s prominently represented here, despite his age, because of that. It’s also worth noting a fourth option year has been imposed upon Merryweather due to his injury history, which isn’t great for him but certainly buoys his trade value a little bit because teams value roster flexibility. (Alternate site, MLB)

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Overlord said:

I own no shares of the Toronto closing situation, but while Merryweather is a good pick-up is there something about his track record I'm not seeing that makes us think he's going to be a dominant closer?  Did he overhaul his repertoire or show increased velocity in Spring Training, or something?

Otherwise this looks like a hot start for an otherwise above-average reliever (which isn't a bad thing).  

**Again, I fully admit that I may be completely unaware that this guy has added a 95 mph cutter or is In the Best Shape of His Life(tm) or some such.  

I think it's a bit of recency bias, but he did look absolutely incredible and unhittable in that first game. I watched it and his stuff was electric. You don't usually see a guy throw that hard with  such good command. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, jmcampbe11 said:

I think it's a bit of recency bias, but he did look absolutely incredible and unhittable in that first game. I watched it and his stuff was electric. You don't usually see a guy throw that hard with  such good command. 

So he's throwing a lot harder ... that explains it.

 I considered picking him up for a good 15-20 minutes before someone else did.  I hope I don't regret not dropping Williams, Clase, Yimi, Minton, or Bednar for him.  

Edited by Overlord
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Overlord said:

So he's throwing a lot harder ... that explains it.

 I considered picking him up for a good 15-20 minutes before someone else did.  I hope I don't regret not dropping Williams, Clase, Yimi, Minton, or Bednar for him.  

I wouldn't have dropped Williams or Clase, but possibly any of the other three. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, jmcampbe11 said:

I wouldn't have dropped Williams or Clase, but possibly any of the other three. 

I regret not making it work.  If it was a saves league versus a saves+holds it would have been a much easier call.

I won't make the same mistake with JB Buskabukkakeabis, whenever Arizona gets around to calling him up.

Edited by Overlord
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, SpecialFNK said:

why is Bryan Garcia getting work in today's game. he just pitched 2 days ago.

He wanted to show the people who picked him up how much he can rape ratios

 

Well that was fun while it lasted, step right up Mr. Soto

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...