NBC Sports Edge Forums

Iglesias is the same as he is every year, great ks, not bad WHIP, but he's gonna blow a couple.  I'm sure Maddon knows what he was getting into, he's a known quantity at this point.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

"Why don't you come over here and say that?!"

I hate closers - I feel like a dog chasing my tail in a circle. 😡

I’ve been watching the Tigers game. Clase was the only one warming up a few days ago when it looked like the Indians might tie or take the lead. Today, Karinchak was the only guy warming up in th

Posted Images

1 minute ago, stay_woke said:

These aged well

A 3 year, 24 million dollar deal with give you some leash. He was dominant in the opener, seems to struggle in non-save situations. Maddon views him as one of the league's premier closers. He'll hit his stride soon enough.

• Like 1

I am sure someone has the split of him in a save situation versus non-save situation. It is christmas time when he pitches in a non-save situation. Dude gets lit up.

14 minutes ago, fawkes_mulder said:

they're still true...i'll bet you 500 bones that raisel still the closer. If you accept, take it to PM. An April 6 blown save does nothing here.

I've never even said he won't be closer, I merely said I'd be worried if I owned him and then I have kids like you hopping on me crying bad take. The fact is he's been awful in 3 out of 4 appearances, Mayers has been great (and had a better ERA and K/9 than Raisel last season), and to be frank Chris Rodriguez has better stuff than both of them. You guys can keep telling yourself Raisel is untouchable in that role but as an Angel fan I'm telling you that he's not some untouchable god tier closer.

3 minutes ago, papasmurf said:

I am sure someone has the split of him in a save situation versus non-save situation. It is christmas time when he pitches in a non-save situation. Dude gets lit up.

Closers do perform worse in non save situations. Can't recall who researched it. Fangraphs, probably. Don't know about Iglesias in particular, but I see no reason he would avoid the same fate. 

2 minutes ago, AnonymousRob said:

Closers do perform worse in non save situations. Can't recall who researched it. Fangraphs, probably. Don't know about Iglesias in particular, but I see no reason he would avoid the same fate. 

It was a whole “thing” last season.  Raisel was very displeased about getting thrown into non-save situations and faltering badly, because he does not feel that’s the way he (a closer) should be used.  

Edited by 80version
Words
  • Thanks 1
30 minutes ago, 80version said:

It was a whole “thing” last season.  Raisel was very displeased about getting thrown into non-save situations and faltering badly, because he does not feel that’s the way he (a closer) should be used.  

Dude shd be worrying about helping his team win whenever he's on the mound. When he becomes manager, he can only use his CL in save situations.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, meh2 said:

Where’s that ‘This is fine’ gif?

Sounds promising.

4 minutes ago, B&F said:

Sounds promising.

Yeah I try not to overreact and jump to conclusions, but I am fully expecting something quite serious here. They aren't flying him around if they like what their team docs are saying.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, ST. STEVEN said:

Yeah I try not to overreact and jump to conclusions, but I am fully expecting something quite serious here. They aren't flying him around if they like what their team docs are saying.

Thing is I am not sure that anyone will take the job and run with it IF Rosey is out.  Deikman, romo, and trivino could end up splitting up the saves 

11 minutes ago, ST. STEVEN said:

Yep, this doesn’t sound promising.

3 hours ago, Wytchclt55 said:

First off want to say I'm not picking on this post but in general the what I keep seeing about Clase and Karinchak.  Also I am holding both and I think they both could end up being top closers so I'm not coming from a place of rooting for one guy.

However, to say he has the stuff and the demeanor to run away with the job how could you not think that about Karinchak even more than Clase?  I've been watching Clase for awhile now and in general he gets about a K/Inning and that's from a large sample from the minor leagues.  To me that doesn't scream "dominant" lights out can't touch him.  I DO however see that with Karinchak who has been 17k/9 guy in the majors in high leverage situations (and at every level of the minors).

It's just when I watch Clase I think he's more like Sixto or Syndergaard.  To the average person viewing from home their stuff looks unhittable and we all get a dopamine jolt when we see a pitch have crazy movement and see the radar gun read 100. With that said, I feel in the batter's box once you see a couple of pitches or even see him a second or third time, his stuff still plays well but not as dominant as it does on TV.  Go watch the Detroit game and you'll see it.  First couple pitches guys were blown away and then they adapt and start making good takes and seeing the ball better.  Karinchak when he's on is unhittable and filthy.  Yes, I get the command issues but when he's on, he's not only better than Clase he's probably better than 99% of the league.

For a comparison I think at their best Karinchak is more of a peak Kimbrel and Clase is like a later Mariano Rivera.  Both were top 5 closers with low ERAs and I say it to both as compliments.  I just feel Clase will be more of a weak contact low BA against guy and Karinchak is a overpowering swing and miss guy.  Both have potential to save 40 but I personally give the edge to Karinchak.  It's fine if you lean Clase I have no problem with that argument but to say he's got the stuff and demeanor as if Karinchak does not while he's more proven seems a bit ignorant to me.

Edit:  For the record I do think Clase has the edge on the closers role in Cleveland, but that's Tito's decision.  It reminds me of when Andrew Miller was pitching the highest leverage situations getting the whiffs and Cody Allen was the closer.  Miller was the better pitcher but Allen got the 9th regardless.

A couple things: I know for me I was reporting usage and who was warming up. I don’t have a dog in the fight, so not leaning either way. I’m not saying it was directed at me alone at all, but just clarifying my stance.

As for “stuff,” no doubt it’s Karinchak. I owned him last year, and he’s unhittable. But that walk rate, if it’s up around 6 BB/9, is a huge issue. He’ll put two on and you’re just hoping he Ks the side. It’s never easy. He may be the choice, but there will be many uncomfortable innings.

Lastly, when people speak on Karinchak’s demeanor, they may be talking specifically about him saying he didn’t care if he was named closer, he just wants to pitch high leverage innings (link below).

Personally wouldn’t be shocked if any of the 3 (Wittgren as well) get the job and run with it. Right now it’s just reading the tea leaves and making our best guesses. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.beaconjournal.com/amp/4554096001

8 hours ago, duke of queens said:

Hand on Covid list so Hudson/Rainey will get some saves to start.

Hudson with the save, Rainey didn't even appear. What's up with that?

1 minute ago, Ace_King said:

Hudson with the save, Rainey didn't even appear. What's up with that?

Hudson got the W at home, not the save. With extra inning rules (runner on 2nd), Rainey is probably better suited to save him for the 10th if it got there (higher K%).

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, bbythepier said:

Hudson got the W at home, not the save. With extra inning rules (runner on 2nd), Rainey is probably better suited to save him for the 10th if it got there (higher K%).

Got it--thanks for the catch on Hudson too.

45 minutes ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

Thing is I am not sure that anyone will take the job and run with it IF Rosey is out.  Deikman, romo, and trivino could end up splitting up the saves 

Hoping for Diekman to seize the opportunity (nevermind his first appearance).  He did well as the fireman last season, albeit with some luck, but I have little faith in Romo and Trivino getting the job done consistently.  

Watched the nats game It’s worth noting that Rainey was up throwing with the nats down 1 going into the 8th. Didn’t come in but looked like he’d be the setup man with a tie or a lead

Hudson came in a tie game in the 9th, typical closer usage

this may all mean nothing, but I think it may be Hudson for now. Disclosure: I own Rainey so if anything I’m biased the other way, but I saw what I saw 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Castillo blew it but I still think he’s safe. Fairbanks is clearly the fireman and there’s nobody else with anywhere near as good of “stuff” as those two in the Rays pen.

Edited by Dislimb
12 minutes ago, Dislimb said:

Castillo blew it but I still think he’s safe. Fairbanks is clearly the fireman and there’s nobody else with anywhere near as good of “stuff” as those two in the Rays pen.

Have you ever seen a Chaz Roe slider?

But I definitely agree those are the top 2 dogs.

• Like 1