NBC Sports Edge Forums

4 minutes ago, Overlord said:

Lucky for Rosenthal there was no hint of these issues prior to signing the contract with Oakland

Have to assume this is just Brad Pitt getting out ahead of undervaluing closers as the new market inefficiency.

• Like 1
  • Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

"Why don't you come over here and say that?!"

I hate closers - I feel like a dog chasing my tail in a circle. 😡

I’ve been watching the Tigers game. Clase was the only one warming up a few days ago when it looked like the Indians might tie or take the lead. Today, Karinchak was the only guy warming up in th

Posted Images

1 hour ago, bbythepier said:

There's been some Melancon chest thumpers in here. Lets see if Coach sends him out vs L,L,R,L in the 9th

Edit: Looks like he is warming up, Pomeranz sat down.

/chestthump 

dudes the closer 

41 minutes ago, Overlord said:

Lucky for Rosenthal there was no hint of these issues prior to signing the contract with Oakland

Also lucky for Oakland it doesn't look like they are in need of a closer this year with their current pace of 0 - 162.

11 hours ago, BMcP said:

Hudson could still be available - someone to check in on, in advance of a DH.

Unfortunately the WW is picked pretty clean already as it's a 16 team SV+HLD league. I ended up grabbing graveman. Throwing 97 as an RP, per FG.

Why not. Can't be worse than the ghost of Devenski.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, KingJoffrey said:

Will Smith in a non save situation, just for a hold. Leadoff guy Juan Soto. This is very bad news for Will Smith owners.

It's a double header today. Only 7 innings. 

• Like 1

Karinchak warming up for the 8th inning, Clase looking like he might get the save opportunity? Although this indians lineup is terrible and I doubt they're going to be having many save opportunities this year

17 minutes ago, stay_woke said:

Karinchak warming up for the 8th inning, Clase looking like he might get the save opportunity? Although this indians lineup is terrible and I doubt they're going to be having many save opportunities this year

Every time I see this sentiment I feel the inclination to point out that overall team victories corresponds far more weakly than one would think with saves and save opportunities.  It's such a weak correlation that in almost all circumstances you can simply discard it as a consideration.

**Note:  this is not the case for holds, which correlates rather more strongly with overall team record.  

****IIRC, every ten percentage point increase in win percentage above  40% correlates to something like only .7 additional save opportunities.  This is so miniscule you are pretty safe ignoring it.  I can't find the stat right now, but I think holds is a lot higher, something like 1.5-2.5 additional save hold opportunities.  That actually is somewhat meaningful when you're talking about the differential between a 69 win team vs. a 92 win team.  

Edited by Overlord
  • Like 4
9 minutes ago, stay_woke said:

So Indians are gonna win what 75 games? Probably be about half save ops. Yeah no need for those on anyone's team.😉

17 minutes ago, duke of queens said:

So Indians are gonna win what 75 games? Probably be about half save ops. Yeah no need for those on anyone's team.😉

I'd still hold Classe or kaeinchak until the situation becomes more clear.   I mean, there hasn't even been a save .opp

18 minutes ago, Eddie Mush said:

Amir Garrett 4 ER in 11-0 non save situation.

He's looked awful in his limited appearances thus far. Sims has looked incredible. Amir looked great in spring and talked a big game, but I can't see how they let him get the next chance. He's blown his opportunity, I think. 

1 minute ago, Aynsley said:

And now we finally get a Cleveland save situation. This Clase owner is hoping for a two-inning save. Will we see Wittgren?

It wouldn’t count as a save it would count as a win, which is still nice 

• Like 3

Clase is just pure sexy filth naughty McNasty.

Having watched both of them today, let alone recent history, one is in a different class. A different Clase if you will. (K was helped mightily by blue to keep from the bases loaded, it's been settled. Francona has eyes, he see's the filth.)

Edited by LarryChip10
2 minutes ago, AnonymousRob said:

He's looked awful in his limited appearances thus far. Sims has looked incredible. Amir looked great in spring and talked a big game, but I can't see how they let him get the next chance. He's blown his opportunity, I think. 

Sims wants to close too, he just didn’t yap it up. Instead he’s just showed it with his performance. 

Holland implosion ...lol

• Like 1