• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

"Why don't you come over here and say that?!"

I hate closers - I feel like a dog chasing my tail in a circle. 😡

I’ve been watching the Tigers game. Clase was the only one warming up a few days ago when it looked like the Indians might tie or take the lead. Today, Karinchak was the only guy warming up in th

Posted Images

Just now, jmcampbe11 said:

Why Trivino over Diekman or Romo?

Because Melvin said he prefers him.

• Like 1
Just now, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

Maybe I am remembering wrong, but didn’t Melvin a week or so ago say he liked diek at the end?

Yes - he has apparently changed his mind.

1 minute ago, jmcampbe11 said:

That's not how I read that quote at all. It seemed very ambiguous.

Which quote?

1 minute ago, BMcP said:

Yes - he has apparently changed his mind.

His exact words were that Trivino "could" be an option. It wasn't definitive at all. Trivino was mediocre last season and a dumpster fire the year before. At best this is going to be a committee situation unless Diekman (3 Ks last night) runs away with it. 

His exact words were that Trivino "could" be an option. It wasn't definitive at all. Trivino was mediocre last season and a dumpster fire the year before. At best this is going to be a committee situation unless Diekman (3 Ks last night) runs away with it. 

It’s not ideal to use Jake in the ninth inning,” Melvin said. “A lot of times his spot, or what he’s used to, comes up before that. Sometimes in the eighth, you look at the lineup and there are a couple left-handers you target for him. Hopefully, if we can keep moving forward with Lou, maybe he gives us an option to close as well and/or pitch the eighth inning depending on matchups. He’s pitched really well for us, just that one pitch to (Yordan) Alvarez over at our place. Other than that, he had a terrific spring and has pitched really well. We’ve seen what Lou can accomplish when he’s feeling good. Hopefully, we’re working toward that. I know he’s as encouraged by how he’s throwing the ball as well as we are.”

Make of this statement what you will....

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, BMcP said:

It’s not ideal to use Jake in the ninth inning,” Melvin said. “A lot of times his spot, or what he’s used to, comes up before that. Sometimes in the eighth, you look at the lineup and there are a couple left-handers you target for him. Hopefully, if we can keep moving forward with Lou, maybe he gives us an option to close as well and/or pitch the eighth inning depending on matchups. He’s pitched really well for us, just that one pitch to (Yordan) Alvarez over at our place. Other than that, he had a terrific spring and has pitched really well. We’ve seen what Lou can accomplish when he’s feeling good. Hopefully, we’re working toward that. I know he’s as encouraged by how he’s throwing the ball as well as we are.”

Make of this statement what you will....

They've tried to use Trivino as a fill in closer in the past...and it didn't work. He's just not a good pitcher. I say all bets are off are he blows one or two saves. 

They've tried to use Trivino as a fill in closer in the past...and it didn't work. He's just not a good pitcher. I say all bets are off are he blows one or two saves. 

You cited his injury-ravaged 2019, which was a lost season, while ignoring his 2018, his improvement over the 2020 two-monther, and his ST.  In any event, I’m just reporting what the manager has said regarding what he would prefer to do moving forward.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, cpdaly said:

Any chance Reyes keeps the STL job the entire season?  It looks like he is made for this exact role.  

I think its nearing that way 100%.  Even when Hicks is back full strength I envision they will move him into a setup role with occasional  split save.

3 minutes ago, enyouartist said:

I feel like it’s safe to drop him now.

Merryweather warming for the ninth in a tie game at home 

• Like 1

Do you think any one of Diekman, Clase or Sims has the closing role now or coming up soon?  And has the goods to actually run away with the role?   If I had to guess, I would say Clase or Sims are probably the most suited and Diekman a distant third.

• Like 1

Trivino is absolutely being given a chance to run with the job. Whether he will remains to be seen. Oakland announcers are talking about it, as is Lou himself. Whether you want to grab him before it's definitive depends on your league settings, but he's going to be given the opportunity and has shown some high level talent in the past. I just assume every addict in this thread is in a blood for saves league so I'd snatch him up asap.

• Like 8
47 minutes ago, BMcP said:

Merryweather warming for the ninth in a tie game at home 

So did Romano allow two hits that ended up with Thornton getting  the earned run? Seems like Merryweather is taking the closer job over by pitching better.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Zig Zag said:

Do you think any one of Diekman, Clase or Sims has the closing role now or coming up soon?  And has the goods to actually run away with the role?   If I had to guess, I would say Clase or Sims are probably the most suited and Diekman a distant third.

Do you not have Trivino on waviers? Trivino, Clase, Sims, Diekman in that order right now if you do.

Garrett hasn't officially lost anything yet and their is an outside chance of Doolittle who appears to be good again and has the infamous "closer experience"

• Like 2

Why trivino over diekman? I’m reading everything, but the only guy Melvin actually named was Diekman (last week). Sorry to be pesky, but most of us only get one shot

Edited by Cesare13
4 minutes ago, Slatykamora said:

Do you not have Trivino on waviers? Trivino, Clase, Sims, Diekman in that order right now if you do.

Garrett hasn't officially lost anything yet and their is an outside chance of Doolittle who appears to be good again and has the infamous "closer experience"

Honestly it was just for conversation sake.  Good call on Trivino, I definitely should have listed him.

I agree with your ranking though just based off Trivino having the clearest path.  Even though Karinchak hasn't received much work in the 9th yet he is still an option and competition for Clase.  Not even mentioning Wittgren who they have used primarily in the 9th so far.

• Like 1