Jump to content
NBC Sports Edge Forums

Recommended Posts

Quote

Oakland Athletics relief pitcher Lou Trivino could be in line for save opportunities while Trevor Rosenthal recovers from thoracic outlet surgery, according to Shayna Rubin of the Mercury News. Manager Bob Melvin said, "If we can move it forward with Lou, maybe he gives us an option to close as well and/or pitch the 8th inning depending on matchups." Speculation had been that Jake Diekman or Sergio Romo could have been among the top considerations for the closer role, but Rubin reports that Melvin suggested the team may look to use Diekman more in an eighth-inning role. As of now, Oakland's closer situation remains murky, but managers looking for saves should target Trivino first in light of this report.--Michael Grennell - RotoBaller

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

"Why don't you come over here and say that?!"

I hate closers - I feel like a dog chasing my tail in a circle. 😡

I’ve been watching the Tigers game. Clase was the only one warming up a few days ago when it looked like the Indians might tie or take the lead. Today, Karinchak was the only guy warming up in th

Posted Images

Considering Garret's implosion the other night I would be all over Sims.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Cesare13 said:

Why trivino over diekman? I’m reading everything, but the only guy Melvin actually named was Diekman (last week). Sorry to be pesky, but most of us only get one shot

Rosenthal being definitively out for a long time changes things. As does Diekman's track record and lousy performance the other day. Oakland is desperate for an arm, any arm, to step up in that bullpen. I think anyone who performs is going to run with the job. Maybe Diekman beats him out. But Trivino has the opportunity right now, and that's probably the biggest thing you can ask for when speculating on a closer. Now they just need to get to the ninth inning with the lead...

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Iglesias just struck out 3 (no hits, no walks) in the bottom of the 11th with a man on 2nd (new rule) for his second save of season. Looking dominant. Just only throw him out there for saves situations, Joe Maddon.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, PhilaFanBoy said:

Iglesias just struck out 3 (no hits, no walks) in the bottom of the 11th with a man on 2nd (new rule) for his second save of season. Looking dominant. Just only throw him out there for saves situations, Joe Maddon.

I thought it was Mayers szn tho according to this thread 🤡

 

(he did look awesome)

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, PhilaFanBoy said:

Iglesias just struck out 3 (no hits, no walks) in the bottom of the 11th with a man on 2nd (new rule) for his second save of season. Looking dominant. Just only throw him out there for saves situations, Joe Maddon.

Man, if a closer can't handle a tied game in the 9th. That is on them, not the manager.

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

any word on b-hand and his potential return date? haven't heard a peep from washington on who were the positive tests on the team. I scooped hudson hoping for some saves, but now i'm thinking of dropping for trivino based on the lou hype train in here.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Slatykamora said:

Man, if a closer can't handle a tied game in the 9th. That is on them, not the manager.

I don't know, I imagine there's something special about being the guy who ends the game, gives his teammates the win, the ability to get off the clock and go home...the psychology of it. That's still on Iglesias if he blows a non-save situation, but if a guy feels more in sync when he's the last man up, it's not a bad move for a manager to have some patience. The Angels used 6 relievers tonight and easily could have gone with Iglesias earlier, but Maddon chose not to.

(again, Iglesias complained about non-save situations in Cincinnati)

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Cesare13 said:

Is trivino even a good pitcher?

He's ok, has been mixing his 4 pitches pretty well this/last year. 3 of them are hard, with a slow curve to keep them from timing him. Cutter is the only really good pitch though. Despite being a mid-90's guy.

Not going to be as exciting to own as a Clause or Sims, but he's the one with an obvious path.

2 minutes ago, PhilaFanBoy said:

I don't know, I imagine there's something special about being the guy who ends the game, gives his teammates the win, the ability to get off the clock and go home...the psychology of it. That's still on Iglesias if he blows a non-save situation, but if a guy feels more in sync when he's the last man up, it's not a bad move for a manager to have some patience. The Angels used 6 relievers tonight and easily could have gone with Iglesias earlier, but Maddon chose not to.

(again, Iglesias complained about non-save situations in Cincinnati)

So when the Angles are the home team. They should just forget about using him if they don't get a lead by the bottom of the 8th? 

Top of the 9th is a traditional closer spot. Every other dedicated closer is pitching there because there is no longer a chance for a save in the game and you don't know when the game ends.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, B&F said:

Considering Garret's implosion the other night I would be all over Sims.

 

 

He came in at 11-0. Not sure I would read much into that.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Arizona:

Stephen Crichton: Has been used as 7th inning guy/fireman

Taylor Clarke: Has been used in 7th and 8th inning, not used in April 4th win.

Yoan Lopez: Has been used as a 10th inning guy

Kevin Ginkel: Used as a fireman in the 8th when Soria got hurt, not used in April 6th win, behind Clarke/Chricton on April 2nd

Alex Young: Trusted Situational Lefty

Swarzak/Caleb Smith: Used in low leverage

R. Smith/M. Peacock: Long RP

 

If Clarke isn't the April 10th starter. He is ahead of Ginkel. So the closer job would be between Crichton/Clarke IMO.

If Clarke is the April 10th starter. Then the closer job is between Crichton/Ginkel, which I think favors Crichton ATM, though Ginkel is the more interesting talent.

 

 

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Closer Monkey doesn't even have Trevino in their top 3. Laughable

Oakland A’s — Trevor Rosenthal underwent thoracic outlet surgery and will be out for at least the next 12 weeks. He had a rib removed as part of the procedure and will visit with his doctor in eight weeks for a check-up. Meanwhile, a potential late-innings candidate, A.J. Puk, is now on the IL with a strained left biceps injury

Hierarchy remains: Diekman | Romo | Petit.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Cesare13 said:

Is trivino even a good pitcher?

 Meanwhile, Trivino does have some closing experience, albeit not very successful, having converted only four of 11 save opportunities over the previous three seasons. His mid-90s fastball serves as an excellent weapon to go into into high-leverage scenarios with, but his career 4.1 BB/9 could prove problematic.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, smeeze said:

Closer Monkey doesn't even have Trevino in their top 3. Laughable

Oakland A’s — Trevor Rosenthal underwent thoracic outlet surgery and will be out for at least the next 12 weeks. He had a rib removed as part of the procedure and will visit with his doctor in eight weeks for a check-up. Meanwhile, a potential late-innings candidate, A.J. Puk, is now on the IL with a strained left biceps injury

Hierarchy remains: Diekman | Romo | Petit.

Not a great site for closer speculation. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

CLOSER MONKEY has been trash for years

Only thing they’re still good for is vulture saves predictions. Outside of that, I haven’t used them in years.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, weakkneeswilly said:

 Meanwhile, Trivino does have some closing experience, albeit not very successful, having converted only four of 11 save opportunities over the previous three seasons. His mid-90s fastball serves as an excellent weapon to go into into high-leverage scenarios with, but his career 4.1 BB/9 could prove problematic.

Some clarity is needed regarding that save conversion percentage.  I don't think he actually blew 7 traditional save opportunities.  Looking at his game log from 2018, he converted 4 saves, spaced out over almost a month and a half.  His "blown saves" that year mostly came in the 6th & 7th innings.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...