NBC Sports Edge Forums

1 hour ago, jseay65 said:

If Garrett continues to struggle it looks like the consensus here is Sims. Is anyone buying Doolittle, with his uptick in velocity and 111 career saves?

Definitely worth a stash.  Veterans usually get the first shot at closing assuming they are effective.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

"Why don't you come over here and say that?!"

I hate closers - I feel like a dog chasing my tail in a circle. 😡

I’ve been watching the Tigers game. Clase was the only one warming up a few days ago when it looked like the Indians might tie or take the lead. Today, Karinchak was the only guy warming up in th

Posted Images

See you guys tonight when Wendelken comes out in the 9th to protect a 1:run lead.😅(I hate saves)

Edited by Cesare13
  • Like 3

I think the news of Amir Garrett's demise might be greatly exaggerated at this point.  It's been 2 innings, one of which was his first inning of the year, where he actually converted a save.  The other was a throw away, "get some work in" inning.

If we're going to hop on the "SSS Carousel", then he still has 3 Ks in 2 innings and his velo is still at 95.5.

10 minutes ago, 89Topps said:

I think the news of Amir Garrett's demise might be greatly exaggerated at this point.  It's been 2 innings, one of which was his first inning of the year, where he actually converted a save.  The other was a throw away, "get some work in" inning.

If we're going to hop on the "SSS Carousel", then he still has 3 Ks in 2 innings and his velo is still at 95.5.

yea SSS of course, but he has not looked good in either outing 

Gotta believe he has a short lease

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, crotchcrickets said:

yea SSS of course, but he has not looked good in either outing 

Gotta believe he has a short lease

He's been wild, yea.  He's not going to walk a batter every inning though, unless he just forgot how to pitch.  The velo is still there, so I'm willing to chalk it up to "shaking off the rust" and having one really bad throw away inning.

25 minutes ago, 89Topps said:

I agree with you and do think he gets one more chance, but I also want to note that the Reds manager already said at the beginning of the season that he was doing a closer by committee.  He didn't annoit Garrett as the closer, and I assume one of the reasons for doing so is so that he could make the switch to Doolittle or Sims more easily if he wanted to "because of matchups"

Edited by Fbaseballgod
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Fbaseballgod said:

I agree with you and do think he gets one more chance, but I also want to note that the Reds manager already said at the beginning of the season that he was doing a closer by committee.  He didn't annoit Garrett as the closer, and I assume one of the reasons for doing so is so that he could make the switch to Doolittle or Sims more easily if he wanted to "because of matchups"

Yeah this can't be ignored. I'm not saying Sims or Doolittle have the job, but it's not like Amir ever had the job. It's much easier to 'lose' a job you never had when you're not performing. Especially when the people you're sharing the job with are crushing it.

1 hour ago, 89Topps said:

I am buying wherever I can 50 cents on the dollar

4 hours ago, weakkneeswilly said:

Meanwhile, Trivino does have some closing experience, albeit not very successful, having converted only four of 11 save opportunities over the previous three seasons. His mid-90s fastball serves as an excellent weapon to go into into high-leverage scenarios with, but his career 4.1 BB/9 could prove problematic.

How many of those 7 blown saves came in traditional closer situations? I hate people using saves/save opps for guys who have been MRs most or all of their career because you can get a “BS” in the 7th inning. 

• Like 3
3 hours ago, BostonCajun said:

Only thing they’re still good for is vulture saves predictions. Outside of that, I haven’t used them in years.

Pretty much all my closer speculation comes from this thread, lol. I’m really not sure where else I’d go, other than to just look at closer depth charts on RR and FG. Like others have said, Monkey is garbage. 

36 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

How many of those 7 blown saves came in traditional closer situations? I hate people using saves/save opps for guys who have been MRs most or all of their career because you can get a “BS” in the 7th inning. 

I actually didn't know that,  thanks.  But then where does the "11 opportunities" come from? Surely he's pitched in more than 11 close games where his team was winning  over 3 years.

Take his HLDs + SVs and divide by (HLDs + SVs + BS).

The stat would be still misleading in that if he comes into a SV situation in the 7th inning, gives up 2 runs, leaves with 2 guys on base, but gets one out but leaves with a lead, and the next guy allows all those inherited runners to score, he would still get a HLD even though he's charged with 4 runs.

But, still much better than looking only at his converted SVs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So impressed with Reyes, man that dude looks good. Also, Melancon looks real good and the leash is probably very long

If you were drafting today where would you put these guys now with what we have seen?

5 hours ago, 89Topps said:

...but here's the thing. Garrett has never been a "great" RP for a long stretch. He was good last year, but ever other year his whip has ranged from below average to downright terrible. I feel like people get too hung up on the "he has a closer's mentality" argument and overlook his actual numbers. I mean, Fernando Rodney had a closer's mentality and we all know how that worked out. I personally think Sims will be closing out games before the end the month and Garrett will settle back into his role as  mediocre middle reliever. 

16 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Bush to IL, in case anyone was still holding out hope. Kennedy full speed ahead.

cant believe i am excited about owning ian kennedy.  

3 minutes ago, herschel said:

Pronounce his first name "Yan" and pretend he's a different player ;)

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, herschel said:

I remember him being in the same spot when I picked him up off the wire in 2019 (last full season) and he turned out to be very solid with a lot of saves and helped me win a nice chunk of money 

13 minutes ago, jmcampbe11 said:

...but here's the thing. Garrett has never been a "great" RP for a long stretch. He was good last year, but ever other year his whip has ranged from below average to downright terrible. I feel like people get too hung up on the "he has a closer's mentality" argument and overlook his actual numbers. I mean, Fernando Rodney had a closer's mentality and we all know how that worked out. I personally think Sims will be closing out games before the end the month and Garrett will settle back into his role as  mediocre middle reliever. 

Not sure what you mean about Rodney. He had 327 career saves and had 25 or more seven different seasons, including leading the league one year. Did they always come with good ratios? Nope, but you think fantasy owners wouldn’t be thrilled right now if you told them Garrett would save 327 games in his career? 

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, jmcampbe11 said:

Fernando Rodney has 327 career saves. If you were trying to make a point, that was a bad example

• Like 1
  • Haha 1