NBC Sports Edge Forums

29 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

Not sure what you mean about Rodney. He had 327 career saves and had 25 or more seven different seasons, including leading the league one year. Did they always come with good ratios? Nope, but you think fantasy owners wouldn’t be thrilled right now if you told them Garrett would save 327 games in his career? 

27 minutes ago, Slatykamora said:

Fernando Rodney has 327 career saves. If you were trying to make a point, that was a bad example

My point is I don't see a team trotting out a sub par pitcher just to "get saves" for any length of time in 2021 especially if they have better options (and the Reds do). Or they'll just mix and match and play match-ups. I think the days of mediocre pitcher, like Rodney, having 40 plus saves are over. So is rostering someone like Garrett who "might" get you 20 saves with a mid 4s era and terrible whip worth it? I guess that's for you to decide. 

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

"Why don't you come over here and say that?!"

I hate closers - I feel like a dog chasing my tail in a circle. 😡

I’ve been watching the Tigers game. Clase was the only one warming up a few days ago when it looked like the Indians might tie or take the lead. Today, Karinchak was the only guy warming up in th

Posted Images

33 minutes ago, Slatykamora said:

Fernando Rodney has 327 career saves. If you were trying to make a point, that was a bad example

Sadly his mentality also lead to one of the best seasons for a closer ever. Unfortunate how that worked out. 

16 minutes ago, jmcampbe11 said:

My point is I don't see a team trotting out a sub par pitcher just to "get saves" for any length of time in 2021 especially if they have better options (and the Reds do). Or they'll just mix and match and play match-ups. I think the days of mediocre pitcher, like Rodney, having 40 plus saves are over. So is rostering someone like Garrett who "might" get you 20 saves with a mid 4s era and terrible whip worth it? I guess that's for you to decide. 

That 60 or so innings they get the 20 saves is about 5% of the innings making up my ERA and WHIP but could be 20-30% of my total saves on the year so very well could be worth it 

8 hours ago, Monkeyman74 said:

Is Barnes clearly the guy Boston, Ottavino is just dead weight?

There's no clear answer but it's leaning toward Barnes

They both have walk issues so I'm not confident either will keep it long-term

Edited by itaos
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
10 minutes ago, papasmurf said:

I woulda gone with "Nats activate closer, gives Hand job."

“Left, Hand right now.”

Edited by BMcP

has there been any injury to jansen or reason why knebel would get the save opp?

EDIT: I see that Dodgers had yesterday off, but Jansen had worked the prior two games (blowing a save in his last game).  Interesting development, is there a changing of the closer guard happening in LA?

Edited by swingbatter
5 minutes ago, swingbatter said:

has there been any injury to jansen or reason why knebel would get the save opp?

EDIT: I see that Dodgers had yesterday off, but Jansen had worked the prior two games (blowing a save in his last game).  Interesting development, is there a changing of the closer guard happening in LA?

I've said this before but I don't think dodgers are always going to use one guy and one guy only...kenley should get some more saves, but they're an analytical org and kenley isn't nails like he used to be. Lot of good relievers in this pen, and victor g a lefty.

spring training, there was a quote from roberts about kenley being the guys "on opening day" and that they like a lot their relievers in the end game...i sold kenley that day I read it haha. Plus playoff usage already had me spooked.

7 minutes ago, swingbatter said:

I believe so.

• Like 1

Predicted on the radio the other day that Corey Knebel would be the #Dodgers closer by August. Man, was I off.

-Bill Plunkett

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, BMcP said:

I believe so.

You believe wrong. 

Dave Roberts said he wanted to stay away from Kenley Jansen on what would have been his 3rd outing in 4 days, something no LA pitcher has done yet this season. “He’s in the same bucket as all our pitchers, as far as workload,” Roberts said

• Like 1
1 minute ago, jmcampbe11 said:

You believe wrong. 

Dave Roberts said he wanted to stay away from Kenley Jansen on what would have been his 3rd outing in 4 days, something no LA pitcher has done yet this season. “He’s in the same bucket as all our pitchers, as far as workload,” Roberts said

My belief may eventually be proven wrong - but this statement from Roberts  doesn’t change my belief that we are witnessing a passing of the baton.

• Like 1

As of now, with essentially the same workload, Knebel has six Ks to Jansen's one, two saves to Jansen's one, and no ERA to Jansen's 2.45 (which I admit isn't awful).  I know it's a microscopic sample size, but I think it can be argued that Knebel's positioning himself to take the job.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
4 minutes ago, Bandito said:

As of now, with essentially the same workload, Knebel has six Ks to Jansen's one, two saves to Jansen's one, and no ERA to Jansen's 2.45 (which I admit isn't awful).  I know it's a microscopic sample size, but I think it can be argued that Knebel's positioning himself to take the job.

And allowed one baserunner, compared to Jansen’s five. 

• Like 2

I could see a committee where Jansen takes the 'easy' saves and Knebel or someone else takes the harder ones, but I can't imagine LA is actually making a complete closer change at this time. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, Bandito said:

this is misleading, the other save was the day after kenley went 1.2 innings in the evening with a day game the next day. More likely a committee than 1 job.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, AnonymousRob said:

I could see a committee where Jansen takes the 'easy' saves and Knebel or someone else takes the harder ones, but I can't imagine LA is actually making a complete closer change at this time. 

I agree this isn’t a “complete” change at this time - but in a “blood for saves” league, it’s important to read the writing  on the wall and act quickly when you see changes in progress.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, ST. STEVEN said:

nothingbutcutteritis

or he's just getting up their in mileage

Active RP IP

1. Tyler Clippard 795  (2.95 ERA)*

2. Joakim Soria 725 (3.00 ERA)*

3. Joe Smith 697 (3.01 ERA)

4. Sergio Romo 641 (2.93 ERA)

5. Kenley Jansen 639 (2.39 ERA)

6. Mark Melancon 610 (2.83 ERA)

7. Tony Watson 594 (2.79 ERA)

8. Steve Cishek 579 (2.79 ERA)

9. Darin O'Day 579 (2.50 ERA)

10. Craig Kimbrel 573 (2.15 ERA)

Everyone here beside Kimbrel and Jansen is considered old AF.

*=on IL ATM

Edited by Slatykamora
1 hour ago, BMcP said:

I agree this isn’t a “complete” change at this time - but in a “blood for saves” league, it’s important to read the writing  on the wall and act quickly when you see changes in progress.

Yep! Kenly has blown some key saves over the last couple of years and that's why Urias finished up last year when it counted.  Roberts tries to make everyone happy and use his players interchangeably at many positions, but it appears the Knebel is going to get a large chunk of saves, probably more than Jansen.

• Thanks 1