NBC Sports Edge Forums

4 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

Clean inning for Yimi...11 pitches, eight strikes. Did anyone watch to see how he looked?

He looked good, attacking the count. Didn't look scared like Bass, made short work of the heart of the Mets order converting the save. In closing, he didn't look like a pile-o-chit unlike Bass. It's Yimi's job now IMHO.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

"Why don't you come over here and say that?!"

I hate closers - I feel like a dog chasing my tail in a circle. 😡

I’ve been watching the Tigers game. Clase was the only one warming up a few days ago when it looked like the Indians might tie or take the lead. Today, Karinchak was the only guy warming up in th

Posted Images

7 minutes ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

Just looked at about 5 “closer depth chart” sites and they seem to rotate ginkel and chichton as the closer and 1st in line...Taylor always at least 3rd option or deeper

Probably because people are assuming Clarke was going to be a mutli IP RP but he's used 3 times and they were all 1 IP affairs in tight games. Peacock and Smith have been used as the long men. My odds on guess right now would be Crichton getting the first chance. After that, no clue. Prefer Clarke over Ginkel, but Ginkel probably has higher K% Potential

Edited by Slatykamora
3 minutes ago, Slatykamora said:

Probably because people are assuming Clarke was going to be a mutli IP RP but he's used 3 times and they were all 1 IP affairs in tight games. Peacock and Smith have been used as the long men. My odds on guess right now would be Crichton getting the first chance. After that, no clue. Prefer Clarke over Ginkel, but Ginkel probably has higher K% Potential

Hoping they all struggle and JB gets called up and continues his strong spring and runs with the job..lol

Yeah Yimi is the captain now.

His stuff is what I'd call 'very solid' for late inning guy. Good movement and great hard contact suppression. 4 pitch guy but hasn't throw his change much this year yet, which I bet will change, because it grades out really well. I prefer to look at what he did in 2019, for the sample...but he was no slouch last year either, for numbers.

image.png.c2d11fc8a72ed719f521328d345b2eb8.png

• Like 7
7 minutes ago, LarryChip10 said:

He looked good, attacking the count. Didn't look scared like Bass, made short work of the heart of the Mets order converting the save. In closing, he didn't look like a pile-o-chit unlike Bass. It's Yimi's job now IMHO.

Thank you, good sir. It’s good to hear that he looked strong and confident. I honestly never did get the confidence in Bass. I’ll be curious to see how the rest of the season pans out. 

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

Thank you, good sir. It’s good to hear that he looked strong and confident. I honestly never did get the confidence in Bass. I’ll be curious to see how the rest of the season pans out. 

I seem to recall Yimi had a late start to the spring and needed some extra time to catch up - maybe that contributed to the “confidence”?

8 minutes ago, BMcP said:

I seem to recall Yimi had a late start to the spring and needed some extra time to catch up - maybe that contributed to the “confidence”?

I'd say Bass crapping the bed twice over probably helped his confidence too... lol

What's crazy is the announcers said that Bass is the highest paid player on the team. ( 5 million ) iirc.

1 minute ago, LarryChip10 said:

I'd say Bass crapping the bed twice over probably helped his confidence too... lol

What's crazy is the announcers said that Bass is the highest paid player on the team. ( 5 million ) iirc.

That can't be right, maybe highest paid pitcher. Starling Marte would be my guess

• Like 1
1 minute ago, LarryChip10 said:

Yeah, I mean I don’t really hold his last outing against him too much: made a bad selection doubling-up on the heater that McNeil had just fouled straight back - on his birthday during the home opener.  A grounder that Berti couldn’t quite corral in time - and struck out Conforto for the GW RBI.  I wouldn’t be shocked if Donnie keeps him in the mix once his confidence is restored.

25 minutes ago, BMcP said:

Yimi just didn’t pitch well in Spring Training.

+ I think they wanted Bass to close to use Yimi more as a leverage guy. He was easily our best reliever last year. Struggled in 1 game against the Braves in the playoffs, but he was nearly perfect before that.

Yimi should be better than Bass. He can get swings/misses on his fastball which is nice. He also throws strikes. Only problem is he can be susceptible to the long ball.

Long term sleeper if it doesn’t pan out would be Anthony Bender, but he’s not even on the roster yet. I would imagine that’ll change soon. He possesses a high 90s fastball and was pretty dominant in Spring Training, but they opted to protect their 2 Rule V picks, and Bender has options not being on the 40 man roster.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, BMcP said:

Yeah, I mean I don’t really hold his last outing against him too much: made a bad selection doubling-up on the heater that McNeil had just fouled straight back - on his birthday during the home opener.  A grounder that Berti couldn’t quite corral in time - and struck out Conforto for the GW RBI.  I wouldn’t be shocked if Donnie keeps him in the mix once his confidence is restored.

That's funny, because the announcers in the game pointed out that very fact of McNeil "juuuuust missing" the fastball. I couldn't believe he threw another one, but catcher was set up low/away and he threw a belt high cookie inside to a lefty w/ power. It got smashed!

Salary aside, Bass has been as bad as his #'s. He's been timid, consistently falling behind hitters, and just doesn't have that fire to seize a closers gig. Yimi's got a chance to steal that job and gain some leash w/ a few more solid saves.

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, murraygd13 said:

Pretty brutal outing for Montero. Walk, HBP, Wild pitch

Ugh....another month of following this thread  :(

• Haha 1
22 minutes ago, 9703 said:

Yimi just didn’t pitch well in Spring Training.

+ I think they wanted Bass to close to use Yimi more as a leverage guy. He was easily our best reliever last year. Struggled in 1 game against the Braves in the playoffs, but he was nearly perfect before that.

Yimi should be better than Bass. He can get swings/misses on his fastball which is nice. He also throws strikes. Only problem is he can be susceptible to the long ball.

Long term sleeper if it doesn’t pan out would be Anthony Bender, but he’s not even on the roster yet. I would imagine that’ll change soon. He possesses a high 90s fastball and was pretty dominant in Spring Training, but they opted to protect their 2 Rule V picks, and Bender has options not being on the 40 man roster.

But Yimi didn’t pitch that poorly, either, for whatever stock you want to put in ST numbers. The numbers I cared about...11k, 1bb in 8.2 ip. 

4 hours ago, swfcdan said:

Is Knebel going to be the new Dodgers closer? What out of 10 on the pickup-o-meter.

I’m interested in this too. Also it’s odd that Knebel has had an increase in his four seam velocity yet he barely threw the pitch in his last outing. Is his curve that good?

4 minutes ago, Magnus88 said:

I’m interested in this too. Also it’s odd that Knebel has had an increase in his four seam velocity yet he barely threw the pitch in his last outing. Is his curve that good?

Yes. His curve is elite, always has been an awesome weapon for him. In his Brewer days his command of it was so automatic that he basically stole strike 1 with it 85+% of the time.

• Like 2
32 minutes ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

Wendelken has a nice inning in a NSS

The question for me is who was warming up when the 7th run was tacked on. If it was Wendelken, then they may very well give him a shot at the gig. 

2 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

The question for me is who was warming up when the 7th run was tacked on. If it was Wendelken, then they may very well give him a shot at the gig. 

“Bob Melvin said he wanted to stay away from Yusmeiro Petit and Lou Trivino today. If the lead had been less than four in the ninth he might have used one of them but credited Wendelken with finishing the win.” - Matt Kawahara

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1