NBC Sports Edge Forums

4 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Why?  Merryweather was pretty much perfect before his injury.

He was, but it was only for 2 weeks.  I'm afraid that wasn't really enough time for him to entrench himself as definite closer in Montoyo's mind.  Merryweather really needs to get back ASAP to prevent Dolis from running and keeping the job.  If Merryweather could be back in say 2-3 weeks, I think he'd get the closer role back.  The longer he's out, the dicier it gets though at least if Dolis is doing an adequate job.

Is there any word at all on approximately how long he's supposed to be out?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

"Why don't you come over here and say that?!"

I’ve been watching the Tigers game. Clase was the only one warming up a few days ago when it looked like the Indians might tie or take the lead. Today, Karinchak was the only guy warming up in th

I hate closers - I feel like a dog chasing my tail in a circle. 😡

Posted Images

2 hours ago, FootballFan101 said:

He was, but it was only for 2 weeks.  I'm afraid that wasn't really enough time for him to entrench himself as definite closer in Montoyo's mind.  Merryweather really needs to get back ASAP to prevent Dolis from running and keeping the job.  If Merryweather could be back in say 2-3 weeks, I think he'd get the closer role back.  The longer he's out, the dicier it gets though at least if Dolis is doing an adequate job.

Is there any word at all on approximately how long he's supposed to be out?

Thought I heard they expect Merryweather to miss about a week.

https://twitter.com/gregorchisholm/status/1383444032211152916?s=21

sorry, no idea why that didn’t format correctly. Here’s the tweet:

From what I'm hearing, #BlueJays believe Jordan Romano's injury will be a short-term thing and he should be back close to when his 10 days are up. Julian Merryweather is more of a long-term problem and won't be back for quite some time. Not a shock, because it's an oblique issue.

Edited by Backdoor Slider
  • Like 1
2 minutes ago, BronxBozo said:

Nice.  There are other places you can go to see recent reliever usage, role hierarchies, etc. but having it all in one table with closer-relevant stats like fastball velocity, K%, and recent saves and holds on a non-paywalled site is just perfect.

Incidentally, Fangraphs is having a membership drive right now, and if you like this chart and have a few extra bucks, you should go reward the people who work to put this stuff together.

• Like 2

The Jays were going to be exercising extreme caution with Merryweather anyway, as I don't believe he threw back to back, and I kind of think we would have found that he wasn't going to be an everyday closer as things progressed. Now it just seems remote that he's going to be back in time to grab a real share of the saves, as he'll be eased back into the 7th inning at first. As for Romano, ulnar neuritis means 2-3 weeks of pain free rest before resuming activities. These teams don't want to be forthcoming but that's a standard thing that any cursory search of the condition will tell you. 2-3 weeks of opportunity is more than enough time for Dolis to show he can do it, and they have confidence he can pitch back to back and over multiple days.

I really should have made this my first post, but

THANK YOU to everyone who posts in this thread year after year! This is the thread that brought me to lurk in these forums a few years ago, and I've been here in the shadows ever since. The info here is better than that wild Monkey or any other place on the Net for current and potential closer news. I've been drafting closers every year I've played Fantasy, which is about 10, despite the warnings here. Finally, this season, I took that advice, but accidentally (yes, indecision and fumbling led to this) drafted Hader, so my silly streak of drafting closers is unbroken. Even so, Hader has been great, but I got Clase of waivers before anyone in my league thanks to this thread. Next year, I'll try to break the streak for real and not draft a single closer. LOL!

As for contributing here, I don't have much yet except to echo: DON'T DRAFT CLOSERS! Be patient, hang around this thread, watch games, and enjoy the carousel ride!

• Like 3

I don’t agree with the “don’t draft closer” mantra, nor do I believe it’s silly to do so. It’s a matter of draft capital and allowing others to spend high picks on those considered to be the top guys. I may never draft the top closers, but I will draft a couple in mid-later rounds and then play the wire. 

But I guess my response belongs more in the strategy thread. 

• Like 3
20 minutes ago, BuraddoRun said:

I really should have made this my first post, but

THANK YOU to everyone who posts in this thread year after year! This is the thread that brought me to lurk in these forums a few years ago, and I've been here in the shadows ever since. The info here is better than that wild Monkey or any other place on the Net for current and potential closer news. I've been drafting closers every year I've played Fantasy, which is about 10, despite the warnings here. Finally, this season, I took that advice, but accidentally (yes, indecision and fumbling led to this) drafted Hader, so my silly streak of drafting closers is unbroken. Even so, Hader has been great, but I got Clase of waivers before anyone in my league thanks to this thread. Next year, I'll try to break the streak for real and not draft a single closer. LOL!

As for contributing here, I don't have much yet except to echo: DON'T DRAFT CLOSERS! Be patient, hang around this thread, watch games, and enjoy the carousel ride!

Yes, agreed.  This year I basically didn't draft any closers except rosenthal in one of my leagues.  (lol).  But managed to get Clase, Valdez, Garcia, and Trivino off waivers, often before they were announced to be the closer officially, all because of this thread

• Like 1
3 hours ago, tonycpsu said:

Nice.  There are other places you can go to see recent reliever usage, role hierarchies, etc. but having it all in one table with closer-relevant stats like fastball velocity, K%, and recent saves and holds on a non-paywalled site is just perfect.

Incidentally, Fangraphs is having a membership drive right now, and if you like this chart and have a few extra bucks, you should go reward the people who work to put this stuff together.

I want to say we all use fangraphs a LOT. It's been one of the major sources this forum references, and has been for years. And it's all been for free. Throwing a couple bucks at them in their time of need is the least we can do. The fantasy baseball community will be a lot worse off if they're not around.

On the Merryweather front, I'm not convinced he'll get the job back. It wasn't clear he ever had the job all to himself, so this isn't like Chapman or some proven guy coming back and getting their job. Toronto was also concerned about his ability to go back to back games, and this injury surely hasn't alleviated those concerns. I'd definitely hold him if you have space, but in a shallow league with limited IL/bench spots, he might have to get cut.