• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

"Why don't you come over here and say that?!"

I hate closers - I feel like a dog chasing my tail in a circle. 😡

I’ve been watching the Tigers game. Clase was the only one warming up a few days ago when it looked like the Indians might tie or take the lead. Today, Karinchak was the only guy warming up in th

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, jmcampbe11 said:

Didn't Reyes have surgery in 2018? Then why are they comparing his velocity being down to 2019? And to put things into perspective it's down to 98! This seems like a smoke / no fire situation to me. 

Agreed. Good call on the context.

Clase should just take a page out of Karinchak's book and just K the side instead of giving up hits tsk tsk.  (yes I am being sarcastic and yes, I am a bitter Karinchak owner).

16 minutes ago, Baur10 said:

Clase should just take a page out of Karinchak's book and just K the side instead of giving up hits tsk tsk.  (yes I am being sarcastic and yes, I am a bitter Karinchak owner).

16 minutes ago, Baur10 said:

What’s crazy is that Naquin’s Bill Buckner reenactment today preventing Clase’s 1,2,3 inning was the same idiot the misplayed Roberts’ lead off double against the Sox the turned into a triple thanks to Naquin misplaying the ball in RF.

Reyes closed out a 5-run lead but looked real shaky. Only 13 of 28 pitches were strikes. Escaped scoreless on a deep rocket to right with the bases loaded. Walks continue to be a problem.

• Like 3
20 minutes ago, swingbatter said:

Victor Gonzalez with the Dodgers save tonight.  Roberts is going to spread some saves around with the depth of his bullpen. 

Last couple of days gives me the peace of mind I need to drop Knebel. 

• Like 1
59 minutes ago, swingbatter said:

Victor Gonzalez with the Dodgers save tonight.  Roberts is going to spread some saves around with the depth of his bullpen. 

The mookster saved him today. Wasnt hit that hard but it was toward the gap.

18 hours ago, Flyman75 said:

I don’t agree with the “don’t draft closer” mantra, nor do I believe it’s silly to do so. It’s a matter of draft capital and allowing others to spend high picks on those considered to be the top guys. I may never draft the top closers, but I will draft a couple in mid-later rounds and then play the wire. 

But I guess my response belongs more in the strategy thread. 

I think that's basically what most people mean when they say don't draft closers. "Don't pay for saves" is probably a more accurate truism people throw around.

I prefer SAGNOF.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, absknicks said:

Last couple of days gives me the peace of mind I need to drop Knebel. 

In what context? In that you thought he was going to be the guy? That I get, but I'd still much rather have Knebel over Gonzalez and think he'll probably get 10+ saves when the dust settles. 

Just now, Fiveohnine said:

Not even one "the sky is falling!" post after Daniel Bard's meltdown yesterday?

What is this thread coming to?!

Could be because nobody is willing to take a risk on the rox “next in line”

🤣🤣🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 minute ago, sasnumberonefan said:

Well, not a great day for owning McGee & Clase.. hoping that was just a blip on the radar for both of those guys.

In Clase's defense, they had a mediocre at best fielding OF playing 1B named Naylor and he let a ball go right through his legs.  Otherwise he would have gotten the save.

• Like 2

Looking at the save leader chart ... My first impression is WTF my draft strategy trying to find a closer just plain sucks. What did I do wrong. lol 

Jake McGee Mark Melancon Diego Castillo ? 

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, KilloWertz said:

In Clase's defense, they had a mediocre at best fielding OF playing 1B named Naylor and he let a ball go right through his legs.  Otherwise he would have gotten the save.

Yup, although he did give up 3 singles after that which isn't great and almost made things a lot worse.  That cutter is still filthy though. 

8 minutes ago, Fiveohnine said:

Not even one "the sky is falling!" post after Daniel Bard's meltdown yesterday?

What is this thread coming to?!

Well, he seems like one of the closers who doesn’t necessarily have done staring over his shoulder. 

5 minutes ago, Baur10 said:

Yup, although he did give up 3 singles after that which isn't great and almost made things a lot worse.  That cutter is still filthy though. 

Yeah, that doesn't excuse the fact that he gave up 3 singles after the error, but he still should have had an easy save given it would have been a 1, 2, 3 inning.  He still should be an elite closer for years to come (even after the Indians trade him someday).

1 hour ago, Bandito said:

Well, he seems like one of the closers who doesn’t necessarily have done staring over his shoulder. 

Not only that, they're a team going nowhere, and he's a feel good story for them every time he nails down a win. Bard has as much job security as any closer in baseball that isn't on a multi-year deal, and is not likely to be a trade deadline candidate, either. It would take a total implosion over multiple outings for him to lose the job, and a good manager won't let that happen easily. That's important, too, in that his team is not looking to replace him at the first sign of trouble, whereas other closers on better teams (think Castillo in TAM, Reyes in STL., Colome in MIN) can just be brushed to the side if they struggle with a team in contention. I love an adequate closer like Bard on a bad team.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, TribeFoo said:

Bukauskas recalled in ARI. The plot thickens.

Not moving the needle in any direction here, if anything I'd say if you can scoop Soria from the IL, he's a worthy stash at this point. He's going to have a path to saves as soon as he returns. 

3 minutes ago, Richard Kimble said:

I love an adequate closer like Bard on a bad team.

Agreed. I can tell you as a life-long Royals fan that they had a lot of cr@ppy teams that still produced good closers. Even rancid teams generate 60-70 wins, a big proportion of which will be close because, after all, they’re rancid.