NBC Sports Edge Forums

14 minutes ago, TribeFoo said:

Bukauskas recalled in ARI. The plot thickens.

I’ll be keeping an eye on the situation as there is now finally an arm in the dumpster fire bullpen worth getting excited about. Also, this means we’re past the first service time manipulation date so we should be seeing other prospects getting called up soon.

• Like 1
  • Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

"Why don't you come over here and say that?!"

I hate closers - I feel like a dog chasing my tail in a circle. 😡

I’ve been watching the Tigers game. Clase was the only one warming up a few days ago when it looked like the Indians might tie or take the lead. Today, Karinchak was the only guy warming up in th

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, meh2 said:

I’ll be keeping an eye on the situation as there is now finally an arm in the dumpster fire bullpen worth getting excited about. Also, this means we’re past the first service time manipulation date so we should be seeing other prospects getting called up soon.

bukauskas is also only SP eligible in yahoo (for now).  anyone think he can get some saves right away before soria comes back?  if he comes out and looks lights out as a closer, they may opt to keep him there over soria.  

13 minutes ago, swingbatter said:

bukauskas is also only SP eligible in yahoo (for now).  anyone think he can get some saves right away before soria comes back?  if he comes out and looks lights out as a closer, they may opt to keep him there over soria.  

Bukauskas will not get saves right away IMO. I've never seen a manager throw a green rookie into high leverage.

But if he has a couple of clean outings and that pecking order changes real fast. High leverage might be one of the most performance-based aspects of MLB. Hot hand is everything. 

Edited by BillyMartinTrailer
  • Like 1
1 minute ago, BillyMartinTrailer said:

Bukauskas will not get saves right away IMO. I've never seen a manager throw a green rookie into high leverage.

But if he has a couple of clean outings and that pecking order changes real fast. High leverage might be one of the most performance-based aspects of MLB. Hot hand is everything. 

I get that about not throwing him right into the fire, BUT he did get a save in spring training, so I was wondering if they already see him as that kind of reliever. Add in the fact that no one in the d-backs bullpen inspires confidence, and we may have something here.  SP eligibility is a nice bonus too.

• Like 1
Just now, swingbatter said:

I get that about not throwing him right into the fire, BUT he did get a save in spring training, so I was wondering if they already see him as that kind of reliever. Add in the fact that no one in the d-backs bullpen inspires confidence, and we may have something here.  SP eligibility is a nice bonus too.

They certainly do see him as that kind of a reliever. I don't think he's a wait and see pick up. I picked him within two minutes of learning the news. Take the Ks, be patient and you will be rewarded. 

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, BillyMartinTrailer said:

They certainly do see him as that kind of a reliever. I don't think he's a wait and see pick up. I picked him within two minutes of learning the news. Take the Ks, be patient and you will be rewarded. 

For those of us who play in leagues with very small benches, trying to gauge if it’s worth grabbing JBB if it’s going to take a month or more for him to start getting saves.  

By all means if you can grab JBB in a league that needs saves, fine, but I would rather see something actionable first. There are situations he's a clear add in NL only and 15-team leagues that are just waiver wire wastelands, but I still would reserve that bench spot for someone else in most other scenarios. You're just as likely to hit on vulture saves and wins through streaming if you're an active owner, and a closer injury will occur at some point. I just don't see a rookie taking hold of this messy situation, although Lovullo should take a page from other managers and send him into the locker room to tell those old humps he's there to take their jobs. The AZ bullpen should all be summarily replaced. 

3 minutes ago, JameisofThrones said:

Save machine Jake McGee to the IL. Kinda ugly behind him. Rogers or Wisler I guess?

Probably just a day. Side effects from vaccine .

• Like 3
15 minutes ago, meh2 said:

Probably just a day. Side effects from vaccine .

Probably right.  At most a couple of days, but still, likely Rogers if there's a save today as he's been far better this season so far.  Only issue I see is he pitches 1.2 innings yesterday, but I'd rather roster him for a day or two and he not pitch than have Wisler.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Richard Kimble said:

By all means if you can grab JBB in a league that needs saves, fine, but I would rather see something actionable first. There are situations he's a clear add in NL only and 15-team leagues that are just waiver wire wastelands, but I still would reserve that bench spot for someone else in most other scenarios. You're just as likely to hit on vulture saves and wins through streaming if you're an active owner, and a closer injury will occur at some point. I just don't see a rookie taking hold of this messy situation, although Lovullo should take a page from other managers and send him into the locker room to tell those old humps he's there to take their jobs. The AZ bullpen should all be summarily replaced. 

I'd say he's a must add in saves + holds leagues and an add if you have an open bench spot (otherwise keep an eye on him) in saves leagues. 

13 minutes ago, jmcampbe11 said:

...interesting. So who's the better stash? Merriweather (who've we've gotten no updates on) or Romano?

Jordan Romano seems like he always hurt.  Then again there is this.  Neither maybe?

9 minutes ago, AnonymousRob said:

It would be great if Clase could just start striking people out so he wouldn't have to deal with his team's defense.

I think he heard you.  3 straight Ks to close it out.

• Like 2
20 hours ago, Baur10 said:

Clase should just take a page out of Karinchak's book and just K the side instead of giving up hits tsk tsk.  (yes I am being sarcastic and yes, I am a bitter Karinchak owner).

giphy.gif?cid=5e214886l5oxqah1w87xwfvkzi

• Like 2
  • Haha 4
7 minutes ago, rotoguy74 said:

Thoughts on Newcomb in ATL? Some seem to think he will be their closer one day but I am thinking this year

Love him, but I think they envision him in that multi-inning fireman role that is becoming increasingly popular.  My guess is he still winds up with 5ish saves this year?  They are going to give Minter a run to cover for smith on off days.

7 hours ago, rotoguy74 said:

Thoughts on Newcomb in ATL? Some seem to think he will be their closer one day but I am thinking this year

Will Smith hasn’t looked bad. Unless he implodes, he’s the closer. Even if he does, I don’t think Newcomb is NIL.