• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

"Why don't you come over here and say that?!"

I hate closers - I feel like a dog chasing my tail in a circle.¬†ūüė°

I’ve been watching the Tigers game. Clase was the only one warming up a few days ago when it looked like the Indians might tie or take the lead. Today, Karinchak was the only guy warming up in th

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Dirty Little Birdie said:

is there any reason to think Diekman can run away with the job?

I am guessing Rosenthal will not pitch on consecutive days the whole season and he will split chances with Diekman.

Diekman's walk rate scares the heck out of me though.

32 minutes ago, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

Hoping Alex Reyes can remain healthy. He should be a dominant closer. 

Reyes has gotten my hopes up multiple times now before getting injured. If he stays healthy he could keep the role over Hicks

I doubt Reyes becomes the full-time closer for some reason.  He has the stuff of course, but it seems like the original plan of 100 innings at ~2 per appearance leading to a rotation spot next year is the better plan...assuming good health and that his body can handle becoming a starting pitcher.

1 hour ago, EWV1 said:

I doubt Reyes becomes the full-time closer for some reason.  He has the stuff of course, but it seems like the original plan of 100 innings at ~2 per appearance leading to a rotation spot next year is the better plan...assuming good health and that his body can handle becoming a starting pitcher.

Yea. Probably short term until Hicks is healthy enough. Lots has been written about that possible plan.

1 hour ago, EWV1 said:

That's probably how they're hoping things will shake out, but he wouldn't be the first starter turned closer who doesn't ever go back to starting. Depends on your settings, of course, but I'd grab him if he's out there and ride this train until it crashes.

• Like 3

Giants won’t be closing many games with Alvarez that’s for sure. Comes in a tie game in the 10th and walks 3 batters including the game ending run

4 hours ago, pbjfb said:

Merryweather is a top yahoo add now, 98 mph SP/RP, Romano on edge

Why do you say Romano on edge?  Are you implying that Merryweather is the Jays closer? Dolis in the 8th, and Romano came in the 9th, albeit tied.  I know Merryweather ultimately got the save in the 10th, but wouldn't that just be a situational anomaly?

• Like 6
8 hours ago, B&F said:

I am guessing Rosenthal will not pitch on consecutive days the whole season and he will split chances with Diekman.

Diekman's walk rate scares the heck out of me though.

There not paying a 1 year closer 11mil not to pitch on consecutive days..... 

3 hours ago, enyouartist said:

Why do you say Romano on edge?  Are you implying that Merryweather is the Jays closer? Dolis in the 8th, and Romano came in the 9th, albeit tied.  I know Merryweather ultimately got the save in the 10th, but wouldn't that just be a situational anomaly?

I agree with you that people are probably overreacting to this Merryweather/Romano/blue Jays situation on all parts.  

First off (to play devil’s advocate) the only thing that is only slightly concerning and makes me do a double take is that Romano came in the 9th of an away game. Normally away teams save their closer for only if they go up to save it or if they’re running out of arms.

With that being said, I will also say this to counter it. I was watching that game and it was tense and  both managers were managing as if they knew it was not going longer than a couple extra innings. Also, this early in the year he may have thought hey I wanna ensure I give Romano some early work this season, a tough part of th lineup is coming, why not maintain the tie in a tense 9th. If I was the manager, I would’ve liked what I saw from Romano. While he did get in a jam it wasn’t like he was imploding and he did amazing to not allow a run at all and hold the tie. He did start bad (leadoff walk to sanchez) but Jansen had a great pitch to throw out pinch runner tauchman stealing 2nd and then bobbled it to throw him out stealing 3rd. Romano walked another guy, I believe, but it was a run that didn’t matter and set up a possible DP. He did great to K Bruce and get the weak contact from lemahieu to throw the runner out at home and then get a clutch Ko Judge. If anybody looked rattled in that 9th it was Jansen and Romano did great in a pressure situation. I was fine with what I saw.

Edited by Wytchclt55
Grammar
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
8 minutes ago, Wytchclt55 said:

With that being said, I will also say this to counter it. I was watching that game and it was tense and  both managers were managing as if they knew it was not going longer than a couple extra innings.

With the ridiculous new rules this is almost assured. 

9 innings still take 3+ hours. How they think cutting down extra innings will help draw in uninterested fans who think the game is boring is mind boggling.

• Like 2

Romano is still the favorite for saves here and did fine. Merryweather's stuff was not an anomaly though, he was amazing and topping it off by hitting 99 to K Gleyber after making Stanton and Hicks looks dumb was drool worthy. In Hold leagues, he's an immediate add imo. Maybe Merryweather is the fireman and will have a fluid role...

The KC situation is messy but Wade Davis seems likely to be a force with¬†his rediscovered velocity. I was surprised Staumont didn't get in the game either.¬†ūü§∑‚Äć‚ôāÔłŹ

Edited by tucker26
  • Like 1

With the the new extra innings rule. Pretty clear these games wont go very long after 9 frames. Managers wont be keeping the closer in the back pocket. I'd wager we will be see a lot more closers come in the 9th of a tie game more often now. Regardless of if they are home or away.

10th inning guys are going to be reserve more for the fireman types is my guess.

You can read into those situations that Merryweather is a trusted RP of that bullpen, but not highest on the priority list.

Edited by Slatykamora
  • Like 4

The KC situation seems messy. After Holland’s poor showing yesterday I still think he gets the next shot but if he blows another one I think we’re gonna be looking at a full blown committee 

16 hours ago, cyberer said:

Looks like if the rumors were true and the Padres did pick ‚Äúa closer,‚ÄĚ it‚Äôs not pagan.

In in the 7th

I want to punch Kevin Acee in the face, lol. But but but...all the beat writers said!¬†ūüôĄ

2 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

I want to punch Kevin Acee in the face, lol. But but but...all the beat writers said!¬†ūüôĄ

Melancon is on borrowed time. I am willing to bet he doesn't lead the team in saves by the end of the year.

7 minutes ago, duke of queens said:

Melancon is on borrowed time. I am willing to bet he doesn't lead the team in saves by the end of the year.

Still seems like Pomeranz is ahead of Pagan in the pecking order unfortunately

Why did rays go to castillo yesterday even though they use Fairbanks in the playoffs? Was Castillo hurt? Or matchups? Trying to gauge the value of Fairbanks 

10 minutes ago, Dr. Whom said:

Why did rays go to castillo yesterday even though they use Fairbanks in the playoffs? Was Castillo hurt? Or matchups? Trying to gauge the value of Fairbanks 

Cash by the save numbers is about as unpredictable as it gets. At best you can peg a guy as a .5 closer. Looks like Castillo.

7 hours ago, enyouartist said:

3 hours ago, tucker26 said:

Romano is still the favorite for saves here and did fine. Merryweather's stuff was not an anomaly though, he was amazing and topping it off by hitting 99 to K Gleyber after making Stanton and Hicks looks dumb was drool worthy. In Hold leagues, he's an immediate add imo. Maybe Merryweather is the fireman and will have a fluid role...

The KC situation is messy but Wade Davis seems likely to be a force with¬†his rediscovered velocity. I was surprised Staumont didn't get in the game either.¬†ūü§∑‚Äć‚ôāÔłŹ

The thing is Romano didn't do fine.  He couldn't hold on the runner who easily stole two bases on him without a sweat.  He never threw over to a base once.  Like the ESPN announcer said, it is one glance then throw home all the time.  That is his m.o. and the Yankees knew it.

And he goes home very very slowly.  And don't get me started on that silly catchers style squat he does as part of his delivery.  In short he looked poorly-equipped to be a "closer."

Meanwhile Merryweather took his unplanned place as the accidental closer yesterday and ran with it in sterling fashion.  This is exactly how one reliever can leapfrog over the competition.  Not saying it will happen but it was night (Romano) to day (Merryweather) yesterday at Yankee Stadium.  Opening Day as the big, first nationally broadcast game of the season and Merryweather didn't look stressed and handled it all with ease.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Like 4
19 minutes ago, Dr. Whom said:

Diego is a veteran in this pen, he's also really good. I'm not surprised he got the first save. Pete will get some saves too.

Watch the save situation today (if there is one) go to Chaz Roe though, unironically, because he didn't pitch yesterday and both Pete and Diego did.