NBC Sports EDGE Forums

2021 April Closer Thread

7 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

That is what the 10 IL slots are for that Yahoo gives you.  If you are playing in a private Yahoo league and your commish hasn't changed the number to the 10 max you should tell him too.  Don't know if you can do it in season but definitely don't play in a Yahoo league next year at least without all 10 slots activated.  In today's game players drop like flies and last season and this players are flying on and off the covid-19 stuff that is also IL eligible that you need them.

I got Merryweather in a slot for sure.

Yeah lucky you buddy lol. We definitely have IL spots.. I’m not going to get bench coach in here so let’s just say Merryweather wouldn’t make the top 4 of guys already needed to get put on there. That’s what I was trying to get a feel of what others were thinking. Stashing a possible closing option with an (supposed significant) oblique injury seems kinda tough. 

Just seems like the Jays might be a rotating pen all year regardless of health. I guess they can join the 15 other MLB teams in the same boat. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, LarryDavid said:

Yeah lucky you buddy lol. We definitely have IL spots.. I’m not going to get bench coach in here so let’s just say Merryweather wouldn’t make the top 4 of guys already needed to get put on there. That’s what I was trying to get a feel of what others were thinking. Stashing a possible closing option with an (supposed significant) oblique injury seems kinda tough. 

Just seems like the Jays might be a rotating pen all year regardless of health. I guess they can join the 15 other MLB teams in the same boat. 

Yea, I don’t think I’d stash any closer save for Hader/Chapman/Hendricks for anymore than a couple weeks.  Merryweather would be a drop for me.  I’m in a 2 IL league

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LarryDavid said:

I just dropped him as well in a 10 team league with 2 IL spots (for context) if that helps. The planets seem to be aligning for Romano who's due back on Saturday. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Magoo said:

I think every CIN bullpen arm gets a pass last night.  Especially Sims.  Should have never had to pitch in that.  

I'm not giving Garrett a pass.  Dude has a 3.00 WHIP and nly 3 K's in 4.1 IP.  Maybe still has value in holds leagues but i can't imagine he is long for the closer role.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, crotchcrickets said:

I'm not giving Garrett a pass.  Dude has a 3.00 WHIP and nly 3 K's in 4.1 IP.  Maybe still has value in holds leagues but i can't imagine he is long for the closer role.

Yea that's fair.  He's looked like complete trash regardless.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, crotchcrickets said:

Speaking as someone who plays in a saves + holds league, he does not. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

54 minutes ago, crotchcrickets said:

Yeah - I wonder if his forearm injury from the spring is still a factor?  Also he went 8 days between appearances and was maybe trying to sort things out with the pitching coach. It hasn't worked so far.  He has never really passed the eye test and I regret rostering him based on (1) spring hype (3 IP 9 Ks to start as I recall), (2) his declaration that he is the closer and (3) how he was ranked by some sites.  Next time, I will trust my own evaluation.

Might have gotten lost in the shuffle last night since the game was suspended, but the DBacks threw Bukauskas into a relatively high leverage situation in his MLB debut -- two-on, two-out and trailing by just a run in the seventh -- and he got Senzel to fly out. They ended up scoring two in the top of the eighth before the game was paused (he is in line for the win). Wonder if he would have come back out for the eighth. Regardless, an encouraging sign that they had a decent level of trust in him right out the chute for those speculating in deep/keeper leagues.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

No love for Crichton? Guys has gotten the last 2 save chances in ARI and converted both times. Can’t say his stuff impresses me, but who’s to say the job wouldn’t be his if he throws another clean inning or 2? 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Olliemets said:

No love for Crichton? Guys has gotten the last 2 save chances in ARI and converted both times. Can’t say his stuff impresses me, but who’s to say the job wouldn’t be his if he throws another clean inning or 2? 

I own him, but every time he goes out to pitch, I get anxiety attacks.

3 minutes ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

And trivino promptly gives up a 2-run bomb..perfectly goes along with my Montas and Descalfani performances today 🤣🤣

I really don't want to have to pair Diekman with Trivino but it's time...again

Edited by itaos
  • Haha 1