NBC Sports Edge Forums

6 minutes ago, mevins31 said:

Tim Mayza not only got save for TOR but faced a run of right handed hitters. Makes no sense . Not that it matters to me I have Merryweather who is as good as done. Montoyo manages really weird 

You just assumed, he did not as Anthony Castro recorded the final out. These guys are clearly place holders until Romano returns, and I am sure this team will be in the trade market for a closer later in the season.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

"Why don't you come over here and say that?!"

I hate closers - I feel like a dog chasing my tail in a circle. 😡

I’ve been watching the Tigers game. Clase was the only one warming up a few days ago when it looked like the Indians might tie or take the lead. Today, Karinchak was the only guy warming up in th

Posted Images

2 hours ago, acunajrmvp said:

Should have just pick up Sims last night. Do you think it will be Sims or Doolittle? 

I think it will be Sims because sims was in the spring training conversation as a closer so I think the reds organization thinks highly of him.

Sims will get the first shot and if he fails it will be Doolittle. Its going to come down to those two. Surprisely Doolittle been doing well this year which makes it somewhat of a possibility but let's see if that trend keeps up. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Jyeatbvg said:

What is up with Garrett? He must be tipping pitches right?

He is not commanding his slider nor the fastball so tipping or not, I think batters are sitting fastball waiting for a strike and doing damage.  Not elite FB velo either.  Major problems.  Hopefully IL stint coming to perhaps sort him out...though the week off he took between 4/09 & 4/17 clearly did nothing.

I say adding Taylor Rogers would be a good speculative move.

IIRC, he's been dominant in 2019 too but wasn't made closer until forever because he's a lefty. 

Can't remember if it's still the same manager but... worth a try. 

18 minutes ago, smeeze said:

Dolis was going to pitch the 8th & 9th but had 20+ pitches in the 8th so they warmed up/brought in Mayza/Castro for the 9th. FWIW. 

Dolis also gave up a homer and looked a bit shaky.  Also he is the absolute slowest pitcher in all of baseball.  Takes about a half hour between pitches which I'm sure makes his fielders really happy standing around in a cold and very VERY windy night with temps in the 30's at Fenway last night.

• Haha 1
7 hours ago, fingy said:

I say adding Taylor Rogers would be a good speculative move.

IIRC, he's been dominant in 2019 too but wasn't made closer until forever because he's a lefty. 

Can't remember if it's still the same manager but... worth a try. 

I'm confident he's still owned in all the leagues where he needs to be, but by the same token, I'd say Hansel Robles is a good place to speculate. He's looked the best of the 3 top Twins relievers. They seem to strongly prefer Rogers as the 8th inning guy who can go longer than an inning, and while it seems unlikely any of these guys get above 20 saves, I think Robles is a very good bet for 5+ saves.

1 minute ago, Richard Kimble said:

I'm confident he's still owned in all the leagues where he needs to be, but by the same token, I'd say Hansel Robles is a good place to speculate. He's looked the best of the 3 top Twins relievers. They seem to strongly prefer Rogers as the 8th inning guy who can go longer than an inning, and while it seems unlikely any of these guys get above 20 saves, I think Robles is a very good bet for 5+ saves.

He looked good up until the last couple appearances (5 ER in last 3 GP). Well, he may still look good but the stat sheet doesnt.  

12 hours ago, Jyeatbvg said:

What is up with Garrett? He must be tipping pitches right?

no, he just sucks.

sims is going to take the job and run with it. dude is a boss - and did you see him in the rainout the other night? 🤣

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, Monkeyman74 said:

Taylor Roger over under May 15 as being the everyday closer for Minny?

Still think Colome keeps it. Due for for some good regression.

I think Rogers may pick up some situational saves, but when he can go multiple IP in a high-leverage situation like he did yesterday, that's probably where he's most valuable to the Twins.

1 hour ago, legia13 said:

Doolittle in with a tie in the 7th for the Reds. Not doing well.  I think we see Sims get the next save op for Cincinnati. 

Sims came in a tie game in the 9th with 1 out and finished off the inning. He gave up a run in the 10th and left with the bases loaded. This bp situation is officially a dumpster fire!

18 minutes ago, BadHombre said:

Sims came in a tie game in the 9th with 1 out and finished off the inning. He gave up a run in the 10th and left with the bases loaded. This bp situation is officially a dumpster fire!

Perhaps the Reds shouldn't have traded Iglesias and non tendered Bradley just to save money....

• Like 1

I don't blame Sims, he essentially pitched three days in a row. He shouldn't have been back out there top of the 9th.

And now Crichton looks like he is injured.

Just now, JE7HorseGod said:

This Reds-D'Backs game is a clinic in bad relief pitching.

Advantage Antone/Bukauskas?

Most definitely. The semi-problem here is that a guy like Antone is capable of going 2+ innings so Bell likes to go to him early. I could see a 6-out save coming from him as early as this weekend. As far as Bukauskas, the only thing standing in his way would be Arizona trying to keep him from getting saves and driving up his arbitration costs (I’m assuming they still do that. If not disregard).

• Thanks 1
40 minutes ago, BadHombre said:

I literally just picked up Sims yesterday and he welcomes me with a big FU his first day on the job. I want no parts of this bullpen period.

Edited by quietj
37 minutes ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

1/3 of an inning giving up 2 hits, a walk, and a run...how good could he have looked?

I didn't watch it so I don't know.  Ump could of been awful, his defense might of let him down, it could of been weak infield hits.  It could of been 425 feet bombs.  There he looked awful or he could of been brought into a terrible position and just didn't get out of it. 

2 minutes ago, Denbo32 said:

I didn't watch it so I don't know.  Ump could of been awful, his defense might of let him down, it could of been weak infield hits.  It could of been 425 feet bombs.  There he looked awful or he could of been brought into a terrible position and just didn't get out of it. 

Wild pitch, Walk, Single, infield single, out. Control was not there, but he was not hit hard

• Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, Denbo32 said:

I didn't see it, but I read elsewhere that the 2 hits given up were weak grounders with EV in the 70s and 80s, I believe.