NBC Sports EDGE Forums

2021 April Closer Thread

1 hour ago, swingbatter said:

Royals placed RHP Greg Holland on the injured list.

No reasons were given for Holland's placement on the injured list, so presumably it'll be the COVID-19 IL. Brad Brach was recalled from the team's alternate training site in a corresponding move and will take Holland's place in the Royals bullpen. In the meantime, look for Wade Davis, Scott Barlow and company to handle any save chances that may arise.
‚ÄĒ‚ÄĒ‚ÄĒ‚ÄĒ‚ÄĒ‚ÄĒ‚ÄĒ-

Knowing that Staumont has the best stuff in the Royals pen, who do we think is the best pickup for blood thirsty saves only leagues?  Davis, Staumont or Barlow?  

I doubt it’s Staumont. He comes in the during the 6 inning when behind and alot random spots. Figuring out KC... GL

1 hour ago, rabaak said:

Rogers with the easy save. 1-2-3 with 2 strikeouts.

Actually he only got 2 outs. Duffey stayed in for the first out of the 9th after relieving Happ in the 8th. Then Rogers came in to face a switch-hitter and a lefty.

IMO Rogers probably gets around 10 saves this year in situations that call for lefties and/or when others are unavailable. Possibly more if the rest of their pen keeps struggling.

1 hour ago, swingbatter said:

Dolis with the Jays save.  If he runs a few scoreless outings together, I wonder if they keep Romano as the fireman when he gets back and keep Dolis in the closer (saves) role. 

I dont think so. If you look at Dolis’s pitches, he’s mainly a sinker baller (though his whiff % are excellent) while Romano has the standard closer combo of 97+mph fastball and slider combo.  

Why was McGee in the game in a non-save situation after he pitched last night?  Of course he gave up a couple runs but at leas they were not earned.

2 hours ago, mevins31 said:

Did the Royals kind of use Staumont in a way that he may be groomed to close? Seemed like it

It would be foolish to ignore that given the opening. I feel like they have used Barlow a lot in high leverage situations as well. Either way, Staumont's moved up the totem pole at least one spot and hopefully to the top more often than not. Wade and Zimmer are also options, so hard to say regardless. Staumonts walks are still an issue with 3 in his last 2 games given his history.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, rotoguy74 said:

Is Crichton toast?

I don't think so...but the rook JBB.... looking legit. I don't think Soria or Crichton will stop JBB from claiming this job in a few weeks....but in the meantime....roster Crichton for a few cheap saves...he should be back soon

Yeah one would assume soria will be the man once he is ready...

9 hours ago, PanikAtTheDisco said:

Neris gives up a walk off - non-save situation

I don't think NSS has much to do with the analysis in terms of the effect on the manager's confidence. @COL maybe does. Either Neris seems very safe right now.