NBC Sports Edge Forums

33 minutes ago, Fiveohnine said:

I don't think NSS has much to do with the analysis in terms of the effect on the manager's confidence. @COL maybe does. Either Neris seems very safe right now.

Using Neris and very safe in the same sentence is a bold statement. He only threw 2 fastballs last night so take it with a grain of salt but he only topped at 91.2mph. It’s been down all year after averaging 94 last year. He’s might top bet to lose his closer gig in the next few weeks. Feel free to repost this and laugh if I’m wrong.

• Haha 1
  • Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

"Why don't you come over here and say that?!"

I hate closers - I feel like a dog chasing my tail in a circle. 😡

I’ve been watching the Tigers game. Clase was the only one warming up a few days ago when it looked like the Indians might tie or take the lead. Today, Karinchak was the only guy warming up in th

Posted Images

12 hours ago, swingbatter said:

Royals placed RHP Greg Holland on the injured list.

No reasons were given for Holland's placement on the injured list, so presumably it'll be the COVID-19 IL. Brad Brach was recalled from the team's alternate training site in a corresponding move and will take Holland's place in the Royals bullpen. In the meantime, look for Wade Davis, Scott Barlow and company to handle any save chances that may arise.
———————-

Knowing that Staumont has the best stuff in the Royals pen, who do we think is the best pickup for blood thirsty saves only leagues?  Davis, Staumont or Barlow?  

I'm not sure if you're basing this on watching the games or just stats. But Staumont's 4 BBs in 10 IP doesn't necessarily scream "best stuff".

That said, I think it'll be Davis.

2 minutes ago, meh2 said:

Using Neris and very safe in the same sentence is a bold statement. He only threw 2 fastballs last night so take it with a grain of salt but he only topped at 91.2mph. It’s been down all year after averaging 94 last year. He’s might top bet to lose his closer gig in the next few weeks. Feel free to repost this and laugh if I’m wrong.

The statement was based more on his competition than him. With Alvarado hurt, Kintzler is the only guy on the team with any track record, is even worse than Neris, and is probably next in line. Also rans like Coonrod and Hale are average guys with 3 career saves apiece.

11 minutes ago, Fiveohnine said:

The statement was based more on his competition than him. With Alvarado hurt, Kintzler is the only guy on the team with any track record, is even worse than Neris, and is probably next in line. Also rans like Coonrod and Hale are average guys with 3 career saves apiece.

Alvarado isn’t hurt. He’s on the covid-IL and will be a threat to take his job soon after returning, imo.

• Like 1
59 minutes ago, meh2 said:

Alvarado isn’t hurt. He’s on the covid-IL and will be a threat to take his job soon after returning, imo.

Alvarado is the only lefty in that bullpen.  I would think they would play matchups with him. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, meh2 said:

Personally, I'd call it pretty safe when the one guy who might be a threat is on the injured list and you have a guy in the role who still has a 10/3 K/BB over 7.2IP and one of his two hiccups was @COL.

DEFCON 4 at best imo.

Edited by Fiveohnine
1 hour ago, enyouartist said:

Alvarado is the only lefty in that bullpen.  I would think they would play matchups with him. 

Lefties have a career.277 wOBA against him. Righties are at .267. He’s not your typical LOOGY and technically they can keep Romero around if they want another lefty in the pen. BTW, I actually drafted Neris in two leagues but I’m looking down the road and my gut is telling me he won’t be closer on June 1st. I’m always one step ahead of the game in the saves chase.

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, Fiveohnine said:

Diego Castillo out with vaccine side effects. Fairbanks will be back soon. Next chance probably goes to... Springs?

Strickland, and hush hush because he hasn't been talked up as a saves sleeper but he's been electric in his outings thus far. 

I'm all for a pickup of a guy like him in those "Bloodthirsty saves leagues" because there's potential for 5+ saves no matter how you slice it. But as for these one day, vaccine related side effect absences, I don't think it's worth chasing. It's usually been a day, tops, and the guy is right back in there, and when it has led to a vulture save like last week when McGee was out, its a guy like Peralta getting the save instead of Tyler Rogers.

• Like 1

Interesting on Staumont---certainly suggests he's no worse than number two on the list.  And may be the new closer.  Holland was activated for Saturday and reported to be available - though since we don't know specifically why he was out we also can't really assess whether they wanted to give him a day back before using him.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Fiveohnine said:

I'm not sure if you're basing this on watching the games or just stats. But Staumont's 4 BBs in 10 IP doesn't necessarily scream "best stuff".

That said, I think it'll be Davis.

Okay

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
18 hours ago, swingbatter said:

Royals placed RHP Greg Holland on the injured list.

No reasons were given for Holland's placement on the injured list, so presumably it'll be the COVID-19 IL. Brad Brach was recalled from the team's alternate training site in a corresponding move and will take Holland's place in the Royals bullpen. In the meantime, look for Wade Davis, Scott Barlow and company to handle any save chances that may arise.
———————-

Knowing that Staumont has the best stuff in the Royals pen, who do we think is the best pickup for blood thirsty saves only leagues?  Davis, Staumont or Barlow?  

I'm itching to pick up Staumont in a blood thirsty saves league, but Matheny has mixed and matched so much - 6 different Royals RPs have saves this year.  Last thing I need is to pick someone up as part of a 6-man committee.  Do we think today's game where Staumont looked absolutely filthy is going to be more permanent or Holland was just easing back from the COVID IL?

Edited by swingbatter

I will say that while Holland may have the experience and a few saves, his #'s speak to the truth of his current abilities.

If you get a chance to watch what Staumont did today, you will see an easy 101, and a ridiculous 12/6 HAMMER that breaks a good 2+ feet downward @ 81-84mph. I'm taking Kevin Gross, Wainwright in his prime kinda devastating curve. Royals want to win games, and Holland is proven... plus many other good arms in that pen, but MAN did Staumont just ace his final exam!!! He's filthy, long, great downward plane, and I'm getting aroused. 

Edited by LarryChip10
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, LarryChip10 said:

I will say that while Holland may have the experience and a few saves, his #'s speak to the truth of his current abilities.

If you get a chance to watch what Staumont did today, you will see an easy 101, and a ridiculous 12/6 HAMMER that breaks a good 2+ feet downward @ 81-84mph. I'm taking Kevin Gross, Wainwright in his prime kinda devastating curve. Royals want to win games, and Holland is proven... plus many other good arms in that pen, but MAN did Staumont just ace his final exam!!! He's filthy, long, great downward plane, and I'm getting aroused. 

the changing of the guard may be imminent, but staumont has pitched 3 straight days, so if there is a save app tomorrow, it will probably go to someone else. 

6 minutes ago, swingbatter said:

I'm itching to pick up Staumont in a blood thirsty saves league, but Matheny has mixed and matched so much - 6 different Royals RPs have saves this year.  Last thing I need is to pick someone up as part of a 6-man committee.  Do we think today's game where Staumont looked absolutely filthy is going to be more permanent or Holland was just easing back from the COVID IL?

I’m a Royals fan and I can say Matheny has said numerous times that he’s managing the bullpen by matchups and not by specific roles. That being said I think it’ll evolve into more traditional roles because it’s pretty clear Staumont, Barlow, and Zimmer are his best relievers.  Davis and Holland are showing signs of Old Yeller status. Staumont should be owned in just about all leagues, just know that there could be some frustration ahead.

3 minutes ago, swingbatter said:

the changing of the guard may be imminent, but staumont has pitched 3 straight days, so if there is a save app tomorrow, it will probably go to someone else. 

Changing from whom?  He’s the sixth pitcher already to collect a save - which is about exactly what Matheny said he would do with the later innings.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
14 minutes ago, LarryChip10 said:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
8 minutes ago, swingbatter said:

Changing of what guard?..saves have been split up with almost the entire bullpen this year..lol

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, BMcP said:

Changing from whom?  He’s the sixth pitcher already to collect a save - which is about exactly what Matheny said he would do with the later innings.

1 hour ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

Changing of what guard?..saves have been split up with almost the entire bullpen this year..lol

My bad, kind of meant that most save chasers have been saying Holland was at the front of the line when matheny thinks about who to go to in a save opp.   Staumont may have moved past Holland in that regard is what I was getting at.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, hailtoyourvictor said:

What's going on with Chris Devenski? He was a stash a few weeks ago but has been out of baseball for over 2 weeks now.

Just dropped him. There’s no clear information out there but I understood it to mean he will be out of baseball for a while due to mental issues