NBC Sports Edge Forums

6 minutes ago, tristan0823 said:

I am seeing no Castillo 

I probably go Clase, Melancon, Castillo, Reyes 

Good catch. Forgot about him and agree. Part of me wanted to move Iglesias down a bit more. I feel like we're only (still) ranking him high because of his name.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

"Why don't you come over here and say that?!"

I hate closers - I feel like a dog chasing my tail in a circle. 😡

I’ve been watching the Tigers game. Clase was the only one warming up a few days ago when it looked like the Indians might tie or take the lead. Today, Karinchak was the only guy warming up in th

Posted Images

1 hour ago, jmcampbe11 said:

I'll take a crack. Feel free to shoot holes in this. 

Updated closer rankings, as of April 25th

1) Hader
2) Chapman
3) Hendriks
4) Diaz
5) Iglesias
6) Kimbrel
7) Jansen
8)Pressly
9) Hand
10) Barnes
11) McGee
12) Clase
13) Melancon
14) Castillo
15) Reyes
16) Smith
17) Neris
`18) Garcia
19) Trivino
20) Bard
21) Colome

Updated rankings will Castillo added (who I forgot about). Is Iglesias really a top five closer though? I'm not so sure...

Just now, sasnumberonefan said:

Rogers in for save opp for SF... is McGee not available?

I just posed this in the GDT.  Announcers haven’t said anything about why McGee isn’t in (that I’ve heard).  McGee wasn’t even warming up.  And it shouldn’t be a usage issue.

24 minutes ago, jmcampbe11 said:

Updated rankings will Castillo added (who I forgot about). Is Iglesias really a top five closer though? I'm not so sure...

If you can accept that Diaz and Iglesias will occasionally blow a couple but will rack up big time ks and not get yanked, then sure.

• Like 1

Has Barnes made any changes to his approach to suddenly become an elite closer or is it just a good start? I mean, he's always had a high K-rate, but we're talking about a pitcher in his 8th season with a career WHIP of 1.35 (0.67 WHIP through 11 appearances in 2021 after today's dominant save).

11 minutes ago, sasnumberonefan said:

Rogers in for save opp for SF... is McGee not available?

Considering a left handed batter led off the inning I would say McGee was not available.

Although McGee did come into a non save situation on Friday so there is that.

Edited by B&F
2 minutes ago, Dark One said:

Has Barnes made any changes to his approach to suddenly become an elite closer or is it just a good start? I mean, he's always had a high K-rate, but we're talking about a pitcher in his 8th season with a career WHIP of 1.35 (0.67 WHIP through 11 appearances in 2021 after today's dominant save).

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mlb.com/amp/news/matt-barnes-thriving-in-red-sox-closer-role.html

• Thanks 2
2 hours ago, jmcampbe11 said:

I'll take a crack. Feel free to shoot holes in this. 

Updated closer rankings, as of April 25th

1) Hader    ...

I agree with Hader being the best.  He just didn't get many opportunities in the first week or so but now he is getting them and rolling along like the closing ace he is.

On 4/23/2021 at 9:42 PM, swingbatter said:

Dolis with the Jays save.  If he runs a few scoreless outings together, I wonder if they keep Romano as the fireman when he gets back and keep Dolis in the closer (saves) role. 

Well, Dolis with the save again today — after Romano activated from IL.   Any chance this sticks? 

9 minutes ago, swingbatter said:

Well, Dolis with the save again today — after Romano activated from IL.   Any chance this sticks? 

I am watching Romano's next two appearance.

If next one is good and if the following save situation he does not come in he can probably be cut.

If next appearance isn't good then I am moving on.  I have better options even in a deep league.

1 hour ago, swingbatter said:

Dolis wasn't supposed to close last season, either, but he ended up with the job. I don't think he has it yet, but he is certainly in the mix and seems to be capable of doing the job. 

2 hours ago, jmcampbe11 said:

Valdez from Baltimore has been a stud when given the chance. 15-20 range, maybe?? I’d bump Clase up into the top 10. Thanks for the list. Always helpful.

• Like 1

Dolis is clearly the guy in Toronto right now. Think it would take multiple blowups and Romano sorting himself out (he's been horrific) to change that.

On 4/17/2021 at 12:45 PM, Richard Kimble said:

The Jays were going to be exercising extreme caution with Merryweather anyway, as I don't believe he threw back to back, and I kind of think we would have found that he wasn't going to be an everyday closer as things progressed. Now it just seems remote that he's going to be back in time to grab a real share of the saves, as he'll be eased back into the 7th inning at first. As for Romano, ulnar neuritis means 2-3 weeks of pain free rest before resuming activities. These teams don't want to be forthcoming but that's a standard thing that any cursory search of the condition will tell you. 2-3 weeks of opportunity is more than enough time for Dolis to show he can do it, and they have confidence he can pitch back to back and over multiple days.

Not to say I told you so, but they rushed Romano back and now his status is muddy. He can still work his way into the job, but Dolis has the baton at the moment which is what I anticipated, and he can run with it if he gets the opportunities in the coming week. 

• Like 1
9 hours ago, B&F said:

I thought McGee should have been higher until he wasn't used tonight.

Sounds like SF wanted him to get some extra rest to stay fresh. Pitched Thursday & Friday. Has gotten a lot of work 3 weeks into the season. I’m still optimistic that he is the undisputed guy. 

...made a few tweaks.

CLOSER RANKINGS

1) Hader
2) Chapman
3) Hendriks
4) Diaz
5) Iglesias
6) Kimbrel
7) Jansen
8)Pressly
9) Hand
10) Barnes
11) McGee
12) Clase
13) Melancon
14) Castillo
15) Reyes
16) Smith
17) Neris
`18) Garcia
19) Trivino
20) Bard
21) Valdez
22) Rodriguez
23) Holland
24) Kennedy
25) Sims
26) Rogers

29) Dollis
30) Crichton

BONUS - TOP ADDITIONAL ADDS FOR HOLDS / RATIOS / Ks
1) Karinchak
Gallegos
Pomeranz
Antone
D.Williams

Edited by jmcampbe11

Sorry. My last post timed out while I was still editing it. Here is the final version. 

CLOSER RANKINGS 4/26
1) Hader
2) Chapman
3) Hendriks
4) Diaz
5) Iglesias
6) Kimbrel
7) Jansen
8)Pressly
9) Hand
10) Barnes
11) McGee
12) Melancon
13) Clase
14) Castillo
15) Reyes
16) W.Smith
17) Neris
`18) Garcia
19) Trivino
20) Bard
21) Valdez
23) R.Rodriguez
24) Montero
25) Holland
26) Kennedy
27) Sims
28) Rogers
29) Colome
30) Dollis
31) Crichton
32) Soto

BONUS - TOP ADDITIONAL ADDS FOR HOLDS / RATIOS / Ks
1) Karinchak
2) Gallegos
3) Pomeranz
4) Antone
5) Kopech
6) D.Williams
7) Treinen

8)Ty. Rogers
9) Diekman
10) Whitlock

Edited by jmcampbe11
  • Like 1
2 minutes ago, Fbaseballgod said:

I would 1000000% take Valdez over Trivino 

- signed, an owner of both 

Fair enough. I’ve seen them both pitch. I think Trivino has better stuff and plays for a better team. That’s why I ranked him a few spots ahead. It’s all subjective though.

5 minutes ago, jmcampbe11 said:

Fair enough. I’ve seen them both pitch. I think Trivino has better stuff and plays for a better team. That’s why I ranked him a few spots ahead. It’s all subjective though.

I agree, but Valdez is at least a surefire closer. Trivino isn’t even guarantee the closer, he’s gotten sniped by Diekman at least once (maybe twice) last week. It’s more of a committee in OAK imho