Jump to content
NBC Sports Edge Forums

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

"Why don't you come over here and say that?!"

I hate closers - I feel like a dog chasing my tail in a circle. 😡

I’ve been watching the Tigers game. Clase was the only one warming up a few days ago when it looked like the Indians might tie or take the lead. Today, Karinchak was the only guy warming up in th

Posted Images

staumont is nasty but wild. Detroit is embarrassing for having harold castro as a 2 hitter...dude swung through a really high fastball, clear ball 4...would have been two walks in inning instead of one, and more traffic. Credit to staumont but I think comparisons to hader are ridiculous despite the obvious raw stuff.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, fawkes_mulder said:

staumont is nasty but wild. Detroit is embarrassing for having harold castro as a 2 hitter...dude swung through a really high fastball, clear ball 4...would have been two walks in inning instead of one, and more traffic. Credit to staumont but I think comparisons to hader are ridiculous despite the obvious raw stuff.

Agreed. Staumont's stuff is great but his control has always been atrocious, and he's not even getting many strikeouts this season. He's obviously worth rostering as a closer but I highly doubt he becomes a great one.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SpartyOn4 said:

Agreed. Staumont's stuff is great but his control has always been atrocious, and he's not even getting many strikeouts this season. He's obviously worth rostering as a closer but I highly doubt he becomes a great one.

my history as it relates to dropping studs before they flourish says otherwise

congrats boys

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, GeorgeCostanza said:

my history as it relates to dropping studs before they flourish says otherwise

congrats boys

I have a hard time believing that a guy who throughout his career has walked .5+ batter per inning can be a stud or even effective closer. I think Josh Staumont is going to blow up A LOT of ERAs / WHIPs. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, jmcampbe11 said:

I have a hard time believing that a guy who throughout his career has walked .5+ batter per inning can be a stud or even effective closer. I think Josh Staumont is going to blow up A LOT of ERAs / WHIPs. 

:( I know how you feel, I didn't get him either.

  • Haha 9
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, itaos said:

Back to Trivino, committee in Oakland if it wasn't already confirmed

I’m not 100% sold that it’s a committee. 
Yes in the doubleheader it was weird that Trivino came in the 6th followed by Diekman. The next day Trivino was unavailable and Diekman got the save. Those are the only two saves Diekman has. 
Trivino warming up on the 12th it became a NSS and he pitched the 9th. He converted the next two save opps. Home game pitched the top of the ninth in tied game (closer usage). Then pitched 1.2 in the ninth and tenth of next game trailing one top of 9 (debatable usage here) and converts tonight. 
TL:DR
So since there was the opening for closer there has been 5 save opportunities. He has 3/5 and one of the days he wasn’t available and Diekman has 2/5. Trivino also being used more as the closer getting the top of 9 in tied/close games at home 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

In Oakland, how likely is it that the Melvin is committed to using Diekman/Trivino in the 8th/9th interchangeably dependent on matchups? 

Diekman has great reverse splits this year (excellent vs. righties whereas lefties have hit him harder) which makes this puzzle even harder to solve. Perhaps Diekman's prowess against righties is why he pitched the 8th tonight to face Arozerena & Yandy Diaz.

Separately, I know folks like to talk about adding Holds and/or removing Saves from Roto leagues but I love the Saves category.  I think there's skill/fun in solving "puzzles" like this, reading in between the lines to snuff out Saves.  This forum is full of guys/gals who seem to enjoy the "hunt for saves."  Thank you all for your contributions. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

In re: Staumont

thanks to this thread, I got him. But comparing him to Josh Hader is kinda silly. Jeanmar Gomez maybe. If we’re extremely lucky, possibly Fernando Rodney. That would be fun. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, PirateFan86 said:

In Oakland, how likely is it that the Melvin is committed to using Diekman/Trivino in the 8th/9th interchangeably dependent on matchups? 

Diekman has great reverse splits this year (excellent vs. righties whereas lefties have hit him harder) which makes this puzzle even harder to solve. Perhaps Diekman's prowess against righties is why he pitched the 8th tonight to face Arozerena & Yandy Diaz.

Separately, I know folks like to talk about adding Holds and/or removing Saves from Roto leagues but I love the Saves category.  I think there's skill/fun in solving "puzzles" like this, reading in between the lines to snuff out Saves.  This forum is full of guys/gals who seem to enjoy the "hunt for saves."  Thank you all for your contributions. 

I honestly wouldn’t be surprised if Petit got into the mix for a save after Trivino/Diekman were used to put out a fire. Trivino seems like the head of a true committee IMO. 
 

As for the rest, I can understand why some think the save rule is dumb/arbitrary. But I’m not sure why something dumber (holds) would be seen as a solution. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Fiveohnine said:

In re: Staumont

thanks to this thread, I got him. But comparing him to Josh Hader is kinda silly. Jeanmar Gomez maybe. If we’re extremely lucky, possibly Fernando Rodney. That would be fun. 


I’m old enough to remember Gomez!

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Members_Only_76 said:


I’m old enough to remember Gomez!

I miss the post of Gomez Addams that would always follow one of his saves on this thread!

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, BMcP said:

I miss the post of Gomez Addams that would always follow one of his saves on this thread!


I say we do that for Staumont going forward! It will be an inside joke that like 3 of us get. 

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Fiveohnine said:As for the rest, I can understand why some think the save rule is dumb/arbitrary. But I’m not sure why something dumber (holds) would be seen as a solution. 

It just changes how you approach the category (in Sv+Hld leagues). It becomes more about finding the best contributors rather than getting your share of the scarcity. I am more in favour of sv + 0.5hld. Where the tops holds guys would be roughly equal to 15 save closers. Which would make rounding out RP a bit better

Link to post
Share on other sites

Having played in saves only leagues ever, I will concur that this thread is no doubt the single best resource for info on the interwebs. It's real time feedback, numerous consistent contributors who know how to tune out the talking heads, look beyond the box score, and take the time to be the eyes for those of us that didn't get to watch. Kudos all around everyone!

As for Staumont, he's the guy besides Clase that has made my eyes wide this year. I will say it's kinda funny that both have electric stuff, have the temperament, the current opportunity... yet feel unsafe somehow. Both have multiple capable arms breathing down their necks, but the "stuff" + Opportunity is all it takes. It's how STUD closers are born faaaarrr more frequently than a home grown current MiLB closer. It's rare to even here about a AA or AAA kid that is being groomed for the roll actually, and very few pan out.

I currently have (5) closers... ALL $1 WW grabs thanks to this thread alone. The (3) I actually bought (Romero $11, Pagan $11, Bradley $6) were all supposed to be the closers, according to the experts, but the real experts are all of us damnit! Go US!!! We rock... keep up the great work everyone!

Edited by LarryChip10
  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, LarryDavid said:

Lucas Sims in for 6th inning up 3-1 vs Dodgers right now. Facing 5-6-7

Sims strike out the side. Looks great. Is it possible they going back to Garrett again? Do the Reds ever learn? 

Edited by acunajrmvp
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, acunajrmvp said:

Sims strike out the side. Looks great. Is it possible they going back to Garrett again? 

I don’t know.. Sims is batting now so he’s going back for the 7th. I thought it might be Amir in the 8th and Doolittle to close. Just a guess.. we shall see if they can hold on 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...