NBC Sports Edge Forums

7 minutes ago, LarryDavid said:

I don’t know.. Sims is batting now so he’s going back for the 7th. I thought it might be Amir in the 8th and Doolittle to close. Just a guess.. we shall see if they can hold on 

And Garrett warming for the 7th... after they just had Sims bat for himself. This Reds manager is cheeks 

• Haha 2
  • Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

"Why don't you come over here and say that?!"

I hate closers - I feel like a dog chasing my tail in a circle. 😡

I’ve been watching the Tigers game. Clase was the only one warming up a few days ago when it looked like the Indians might tie or take the lead. Today, Karinchak was the only guy warming up in th

Posted Images

One thing in general to add for those in saves only leagues. The best info around here isn't always the analysis, but rather the live updates of WHO is warming in the pen! That 5 min or so heads up has netted me more closers over the years than I can count, as my league mates seem to always be late to the party. If you wait till the box score shows who got the save in a contested bullpen, in a competitive league, you are going to miss out routinely. As silly as it may be, it's those lil real time updates, a simple sentence saying "Player X" is warming in the pen becomes a huge advantage to savvy owners! (Expert level tip there for those new to the game) We were Twitter before Twitter... kinda cool.

I don't know the exact # off the top, but it's jaw dropping over the last 10 years or so when you see how many saves annually are made by guys who were NOT the closer on opening day. It's like over %50 IIRC? And w/ every bullpen having 50-11 guys that throw over 100 mph now, that number will continue to grow. I mean other than proven Vets from yesteryear, what closers don't throw 98+?

"Back in my day" if you threw 97-98 you were a serious rarity... now BP coaches probably say, "By a show of hands, who doesn't throw 100mph?"

And the one lonely soul who does raise his hand is told to go sit in the corner on timeout.

• Like 3

And Garrett goes all Garrett on us and takes away the looming save situation for now. Further pushing him out of the mix.

Edited by Caelum
19 minutes ago, LarryDavid said:

And Garrett warming for the 7th... after they just had Sims bat for himself. This Reds manager is cheeks 

First pitch AG throws is a game tying 2-run HR 🤦‍♂️

1 minute ago, BadHombre said:

First pitch AG throws is a game tying 2-run HR 🤦‍♂️

Yep, I’m watching. I live bet the Dodgers right when his BP throwing a** trotted out. I think it will be Doo Doo baby but Antone would be more fun 

• Like 1

Now that it's tied I'd figure Antone would be next up. But I wonder if Garrett had held it down if it might have been a rested Antone for a 2-inning save? Doolittle's past couple outings have been not so good.

Edited by Caelum

Amir Garrett might be the worst reliever in the MLB right now. I don't think he's pitched a clean inning all year.

Anyway, this pen is a mess. I held Amir and dropped and now have Sims. Seeing him pitch early in the game is killing me. Antone here in the 8th. Idk who to own in here.

9 minutes ago, Eddie Mush said:

Amir Garrett might be the worst reliever in the MLB right now. I don't think he's pitched a clean inning all year.

Anyway, this pen is a mess. I held Amir and dropped and now have Sims. Seeing him pitch early in the game is killing me. Antone here in the 8th. Idk who to own in here.

I think antone was getting ready to close but Amir messed that up.

• Like 1

Doolittle warming for the save in the 10th. The question is, would he have been coming in for the save in the ninth if it stayed 3-1, instead of going to extras thanks to Garrett, or would it have been Antone for a 2-inning save?

My gut tells me that if Garrett hadn't turned it into a tie, the Reds tonight set things up for a 2-inning save for Antone. One of the Reds broadcasters also suggested this was a possibility. The fact that they didn't bring in a warmed-up Doolittle to save it for Antone in the 10th, and just let Antone close out his own win, backs that I think.

• Like 1

Remember when Amir said to himself on the mound "I'm a bad MFer"? I think he meant to say "I'm bad, MFer" 

Edited by Deke
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5
4 hours ago, LarryChip10 said:

One thing in general to add for those in saves only leagues. The best info around here isn't always the analysis, but rather the live updates of WHO is warming in the pen! That 5 min or so heads up has netted me more closers over the years than I can count, as my league mates seem to always be late to the party. If you wait till the box score shows who got the save in a contested bullpen, in a competitive league, you are going to miss out routinely. As silly as it may be, it's those lil real time updates, a simple sentence saying "Player X" is warming in the pen becomes a huge advantage to savvy owners! (Expert level tip there for those new to the game) We were Twitter before Twitter... kinda cool.

I don't know the exact # off the top, but it's jaw dropping over the last 10 years or so when you see how many saves annually are made by guys who were NOT the closer on opening day. It's like over %50 IIRC? And w/ every bullpen having 50-11 guys that throw over 100 mph now, that number will continue to grow. I mean other than proven Vets from yesteryear, what closers don't throw 98+?

"Back in my day" if you threw 97-98 you were a serious rarity... now BP coaches probably say, "By a show of hands, who doesn't throw 100mph?"

And the one lonely soul who does raise his hand is told to go sit in the corner on timeout.

Pitching however is more then throwing it 100 mph  who cares if you throw 110 mph if its not across the plate that batter takes the pitch ball 1. Also any major lg hitter can hit a stright fastball. no movement

6 hours ago, Caelum said:

My gut tells me that if Garrett hadn't turned it into a tie, the Reds tonight set things up for a 2-inning save for Antone. One of the Reds broadcasters also suggested this was a possibility. The fact that they didn't bring in a warmed-up Doolittle to save it for Antone in the 10th, and just let Antone close out his own win, backs that I think.

Sims was pretty amazing (1.2 0 hits 1 bb 4 ks on 4 swinging strikes vs LAD) and his only flaw was walking Barnes before Garrett came in to face Seager (and again more earned runs for Sims allowed by other pitchers). Sims pitch count hit 32 so pulling him was ok but Amir, no thanks, just stop the madness. But it's good to see them lean on Sims and Antone but neither will likely be available tonight. Antone may be out a few days rest after going 3 inns and 56 pitches. Yup, thats Garrett and Doo lined up for a vulture save tonight if it comes to that (queue the clown music). 

Edited by tucker26
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
14 hours ago, jmcampbe11 said:

I have a hard time believing that a guy who throughout his career has walked .5+ batter per inning can be a stud or even effective closer. I think Josh Staumont is going to blow up A LOT of ERAs / WHIPs. 

the 2nd coming of Mitch Williams?

So sims is out correct?

10 hours ago, LarryDavid said:

I do like that Bell used 4 pitchers in the game and somehow managed to have 3 of them get ABs. 

In his defense, he gets ejected so often, he possibly hasn't actually seen any of these RPs in any save ops. 😆

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
7 hours ago, mks said:

Pitching however is more then throwing it 100 mph  who cares if you throw 110 mph if its not across the plate that batter takes the pitch ball 1. Also any major lg hitter can hit a stright fastball. no movement

Gripping analysis, keep it coming...

• Haha 3