NBC Sports Edge Forums

3 hours ago, jb_power said:

the 2nd coming of Mitch Williams?

I thought that too. Mitch had some really strange stats. Fun fact: In ‘91 he went 12-5 with a sparkling 2.34 era despite a k/9 of just 8.56 and a miserable bb/9 of 6.32. 
Getting back to Staumont, the key for him will be commanding his curveball to keep hitters honest. If he can’t throw that for a strike at least a reasonable amount of time he’ll struggle since hitters can just focus on his fastball.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

"Why don't you come over here and say that?!"

I hate closers - I feel like a dog chasing my tail in a circle. 😡

I’ve been watching the Tigers game. Clase was the only one warming up a few days ago when it looked like the Indians might tie or take the lead. Today, Karinchak was the only guy warming up in th

Posted Images

14 hours ago, Members_Only_76 said:

I’m old enough to remember Gomez!

RW's open hatred for him was also hilarious. They basically had him buried before the season even started. He became an inspiring underdog story for me.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Dr. Whom said:

So sims is out correct?

Nah, Sims is probably the favorite for most saves ros cuase he's more of a 1 inning guy. I think it will be fluid. I doubt they want Antone in a one inning role (they have even said so) and they may have felt it was higher leverage to get through the middle innings of that game. Considering the Reds failures of the past week blowing games, I can see it. Antone seems destined to stay stretched and hits spot starts later on. But it's nice he's getting high leverage innings even if it is a few innings every 3-4 days or so. for rest in between I haven't seen anywhere that indicates anything else than he's a trusted high leverage multi inning guy at this point.

• Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, tucker26 said:

Nah, Sims is probably the favorite for most saves ros cuase he's more of a 1 inning guy. I think it will be fluid. I doubt they want Antone in a one inning role (they have even said so) and they may have felt it was higher leverage to get through the middle innings of that game. Considering the Reds failures of the past week blowing games, I can see it. Antone seems destined to stay stretched and hits spot starts later on. But it's nice he's getting high leverage innings even if it is a few innings every 3-4 days or so. for rest in between I haven't seen anywhere that indicates anything else than he's a trusted high leverage multi inning guy at this point.

Yeah I could see him getting quite a few W’s out of it though and possibly the occasional multi inning save

2 minutes ago, Dirty Little Birdie said:

whos the grab?

Taylor Rogers is the best bet.  They also have Robles - who has the “closer experience” from when he was on the Angels.  But Rogers is the heavy favorite, as he was the Twins closer most of last year.  

Edited by swingbatter
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, tucker26 said:

Well, the Brewers & Counsel said the same for Hader.  At some point you have to stop giving away games in the 9th inning.  

• Like 2
2 hours ago, 80version said:

Well, the Brewers & Counsel said the same for Hader.  At some point you have to stop giving away games in the 9th inning.  

That's true, but Sims has looked good more often than not this year. I definitely think he's still more likely to get the closer spot before Antone. But there's no denying Antone is much closer to the job than at any other point this year.

Just now, Ryno23 said:

Colome in for the 8th, down 5-4, and he proceeds to hit a batter, walk 3, strike out 2, and leave with the bases loaded.

One of those strikeout calls was an very generous call from the umpire to K Franmil in a full count.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Ryno23 said:

Pitch 8:

image.png.79e7bc9c7101e20bff16a42960501d00.png

Can't wait for the robo umps. I can kind of understand and forgive a consistently terrible strike zone...but ball one and the strikeout are basically the same damned spot. Can't fault Franmil in the least for taking that one considering he drew ball one with the first pitch of that very at bat. Umpires and replay are duking it out for the second place behind Rob Manfred for awful things in baseball.

• Like 1
55 minutes ago, Ryno23 said:

Colome in for the 8th, down 5-4, and he proceeds to hit a batter, walk 3, strike out 2, and leave with the bases loaded.

Colome has gone full [...] - easy drop.

Edited by tonycpsu
8 minutes ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

Had to get work in tonight, hasn’t pitched since April 22nd

Yeah but I'd rather he "got his work in" in the 9th not the seventh.  They could tie/take the lead and he won't factor in protecting the win.