NBC Sports Edge Forums

4 minutes ago, dod959 said:

The year he was hurt? Correct. Have you seen him pitch this year? 

hurt?...he had the closer role for a bit last year because the entire bullpen sucked...he was not removed from the role because he got "hurt", he was removed from the role because he was brutally bad at it....lol

why on earth would they give him another shot at a role he struggled in when they have a guy in the role currently who has done an excellent job so far this season?  I'm sure there will be a point where Valdez struggles in the role, but who knows how far down the road that will actually be where they would consider removing him as closer..

• Like 2
  • Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

"Why don't you come over here and say that?!"

I hate closers - I feel like a dog chasing my tail in a circle. 😡

I’ve been watching the Tigers game. Clase was the only one warming up a few days ago when it looked like the Indians might tie or take the lead. Today, Karinchak was the only guy warming up in th

Posted Images

17 minutes ago, dod959 said:

The year he was hurt? Correct. Have you seen him pitch this year? 

When did he get hurt, and why did he pitch the whole season with the injury? And why did the O's run an injured Sulser out there as their closer in the beginning of the shortened season (had a 4.35 ERA after that 5th and final save). Sincere questions. 

Edited by Flyman75
  • Like 2

This thread is keeping the season interesting. Now excuse me while I prepare to my ivory tower with Edwin Diaz and Hector Neris, both of whom are untouchable and will surely never be talked about in this thread.

• Haha 1
3 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

When did he get hurt, and why did he pitch the whole season with it? And why did the O's run an injured Sulser out there as their closer in the beginning of the shortened season (had a 4.35 ERA after that 5th and final save). Sincere questions. 

its called lack of homework....

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

I love these threads when there's a truly hotly debated clusterf***.

The combination of small sample size projection (by necessity, these guys don't pitch a lot of innings), pop psychology and detective work on the veracity of beat writers is just the tops.

I

And we're not even taking into account the fact that its arguably the worst manager in baseball making this decision.

27 minutes ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

and another thing is he missed ZERO games last year because of injury....so how was he "hurt"?...lol

He pitched through it. https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2021/01/sulser-on-trying-to-pitch-through-injury.html

All I'm saying is look into the guy with a negative FIP and had the closer's role before. You guys in here want to stay ahead of the game right? 

• Like 1

Sulser did pitch thru injury last year.  So yes, you should throw his 2020 out the window.  Valdez is not near losing his job and Scott is also ahead of him. He is a more of  Mid-RP thread call then in here right now. Stlll worth keeping an eye on.

He's really good, dunno about Yates good.

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

When did he get hurt, and why did he pitch the whole season with the injury? And why did the O's run an injured Sulser out there as their closer in the beginning of the shortened season (had a 4.35 ERA after that 5th and final save). Sincere questions. 

Because they liked his talent that much. I do think it was irresponsible of them to let him pitch thru it.

Susler has 3 pitches and he's throwing all 3 of them for strikes so far. Where in his first 2 years he struggled to get his secondary options in the zone so hitters didn't have to respect them as much.  In 2020 when he was hurt he was not elevating the FB as much either.

FB/CH both get a healthy of amount of whiffs that should prevent any sort of platoon problems. Slider is not that good, it's only used as a show me pitch vs RHH to keep them from sitting dead red.

• Like 1

why are you guys even talking about orioles, exxon has this **** LOCKED. I think he easily survives 2 times s***ing the bed before I get concerned. Don't look at the radar gun and just chill.

• Like 1

Back to the Reds for a moment, I wouldn't rule out Antone because they want to make him a starter. There have been numerous guys who were supposed to be a starter but rocked out as a reliever and kept the role. In fact, the Reds themselves did this with another guy they had - Aroldis Chapman.

• Like 2

My ranks for the Reds bullpen in a standard roto format:

1a. Antone- elite stuff, great ratios, high k rate, high innings total for a reliever, chance to get multi inning saves, nonzero chance he gets moved into the rotation.

1b. Sims -excellent stuff, has pitched better than his ERA indicates, high k rate, upside to run away with the gig

3. Doolittle- he got the save last night, Bell has mentioned him as being in the saves mix multiple times, he looks like he’s back to what he was in 2019, which is an adequate reliever who can pitch to a 3.50-4.50 ERA. I think he’ll get more chances but I’m skeptical he’ll be effective enough to run with the gig and hold off the others above him.

4. Garrett - he’s been a disaster this far and likely has a ways to go to get back into the circle of David Bell’s trust.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, AnonymousRob said:

Back to the Reds for a moment, I wouldn't rule out Antone because they want to make him a starter. There have been numerous guys who were supposed to be a starter but rocked out as a reliever and kept the role. In fact, the Reds themselves did this with another guy they had - Aroldis Chapman.

Good point, this has happened plenty of times, Papelbon was another example. It's extremely tempting with a weapon like that, but if they learned their lesson from Chapman, they'll avoid the temptation. Once they put him in the 9th he's not giving it up, which is why I see it as "fantasy fantasy" because his real-life value to the team is much greater in his current role or as a starter. The Reds do sometimes make decisions based on flash (see: Jonathan India), but they didn't adopt this 3-headed monster without giving each of the Cerberus heads a chance to guard the gates of Hell. Garrett has been slayed. The other two must get their heads severed before Antone enters into the picture. I could see it in days after the trade deadline if they haven't added help and they are in the playoff picture with a still unsettled 9th inning. But no one in their right mind wouldn't rather roster Antone than all 3 of these guys.

5 minutes ago, Richard Kimble said:

Good point, this has happened plenty of times, Papelbon was another example. It's extremely tempting with a weapon like that, but if they learned their lesson from Chapman, they'll avoid the temptation. Once they put him in the 9th he's not giving it up, which is why I see it as "fantasy fantasy" because his real-life value to the team is much greater in his current role or as a starter. The Reds do sometimes make decisions based on flash (see: Jonathan India), but they didn't adopt this 3-headed monster without giving each of the Cerberus heads a chance to guard the gates of Hell. Garrett has been slayed. The other two must get their heads severed before Antone enters into the picture. I could see it in days after the trade deadline if they haven't added help and they are in the playoff picture with a still unsettled 9th inning. But no one in their right mind wouldn't rather roster Antone than all 3 of these guys.

I agree. I think anyway. I’m not sure about guarding the gates of Hell.

But in the meantime, Antone could definitely get a few two-inning saves the next month until, or if, Sims/Garrett begin torturing souls and opposing hitters. 

7 minutes ago, Richard Kimble said:

I have several questions....

"Garrett has been slayed". Is Amir Garrett a dragon?

"The other two must get their head severed." - Like, literally?

"The didn't adopt this 3-headed monster" - Is there an abundance of three headed monsters in orphanages?

25 minutes ago, jmcampbe11 said:

I have several questions....

"Garrett has been slayed". Is Amir Garrett a dragon?

"The other two must get their head severed." - Like, literally?

"The didn't adopt this 3-headed monster" - Is there an abundance of three headed monsters in orphanages?

I just assumed I’d wandered into a D&D forum.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3