NBC Sports EDGE Forums

2021 April Closer Thread

2 minutes ago, secretagentman said:

Anyone want to chime in on what the likelihood of the Cards going to Hicks eventually as  closer.  I would think at this point that idea is on like support with Reyes being lights out and Hicks not pitching very well.

I do like the phrase “like support” - with your permission, I may borrow it in this thread itself.  I think it’s as low as 5-10% at this point for 2021 purposes.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, secretagentman said:

Anyone want to chime in on what the likelihood of the Cards going to Hicks eventually as  closer.  I would think at this point that idea is on like support with Reyes being lights out and Hicks not pitching very well.

Reyes has been giving up too many walks but has been successful. I have Reyes but not super confident he will continue to be lights out. We’ll see.

• Like 1

I'm not above scraping the bottom of the barrel for saves but Doolittle is a step too far for me. He's been washed for years and his stuff is awful. He'll obliterate your ratios, I guarantee it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, jmcampbe11 said:

I have several questions....

"Garrett has been slayed". Is Amir Garrett a dragon?

"The other two must get their head severed." - Like, literally?

"The didn't adopt this 3-headed monster" - Is there an abundance of three headed monsters in orphanages?

Haha well...Amir breathes fire but his skills are mythical, and in reality easily tamed by the weapons of men. I've also heard all the children in orphanages are monsters. But no, they don't need to actually get decapitated, it's an analogy that I think works well for this sad sack situation. I guess this metaphor means Antone is Hercules. He certainly would be in that closer role. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, B&F said:

That is plausible. 

Stop trying to ruin my wishful thinking! 

It is also possible that I'm engaging in some wishful thinking of my own. I've got Dolis on both of my teams. :)

• Haha 1

It’s easy to say Graveman is the closer because he’s the only one who can do the job... but it’s hard to have clearly defined roles when your bullpen sucks.

If the Mariners wait for save situations to use Graveman, he might never pitch. He may have to come in early to put out a fire, and then the save opp falls to Montero or Middleton or whoever.

• Like 1