NBC Sports Edge Forums

1 hour ago, TrueToTheBlue said:

Thoughts on who gets the next opp for Toronto? My guess is Dolis, he got the last opp they had on Sunday and got the 9th when they had a 4 run lead against Washington on Tuesday. 

Lean Dolis for sure.  Have a feeling Romano is the Fireman.  

FWIW Fangraphs has Romano #5 on the Jays closer depth chart.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

"Why don't you come over here and say that?!"

I hate closers - I feel like a dog chasing my tail in a circle. 😡

I’ve been watching the Tigers game. Clase was the only one warming up a few days ago when it looked like the Indians might tie or take the lead. Today, Karinchak was the only guy warming up in th

Posted Images

6 hours ago, fawkes_mulder said:

it's not that clear cut, graveman is better but he's gonna also pitch some games in the 6th-8th inning in high leverage situations if the game calls for it. Check his usage.

I agree with this.  However, that usage in the past came because Montero was the planned 9th inning guy but this most recent blow up has to be it for Montero in the 9th in the near future.  While you may see Graveman in the middle innings still, it won't be nearly as often.  In my mind I'm thinking someone will have to pitch the 9th in those few games Graveman "firemans" but no way they can trust Montero.  Vest might have sleeper appeal because of those rare situations.

3 hours ago, TrueToTheBlue said:

Thoughts on who gets the next opp for Toronto? My guess is Dolis, he got the last opp they had on Sunday and got the 9th when they had a 4 run lead against Washington on Tuesday. 

100% Dolis.

Deal Reyes? No.

-Pedigree is high. He was once one of the top pitching prospects in all of baseball. If not the top one.

- Hicks has had control issues for a few years.

-They like Gallegos in high leverage. 

Worse case scenario he's a multi inning reliever capable of bombing your whip? IE might come in the 8th inning and stay in the game for the save.

Surprised Crichton doesn’t get more love in here. All the guy does is deliver in save oops, and Dbacks playing some better ball of late. 

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, malta69 said:

Surprised Crichton doesn’t get more love in here. All the guy does is deliver in save oops, and Dbacks playing some better ball of late. 

probably because it's viewed as very short-lived with Soria coming back....but if Soria doesn't lock down the role, maybe Crichton remains in the save mix long term.

2 hours ago, BradMaddox said:
18 hours ago, Cesare13 said:

This. These. These are as good as any reasons that I have seen to explain the reds bullpen. And further proof why Sims is the guy! Well done mates! Nailed it

14 hours ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

No doubt kimbrel was gonna struggle tonight in this NSS..big lead and hasn’t pitched in a week

He walked a batter and struck out one, hard to call that struggling. A little rusty but this guy is a top 5 closer again, after being drafted well outside the top 10 in most leagues. I might have a team featuring him named Dr. RichardKimbrel 😉 

15 hours ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

No doubt kimbrel was gonna struggle tonight in this NSS..big lead and hasn’t pitched in a week

Huh?

I would like to pose a question that is not pressing, but may be important down the road-how likely is Ian Kennedy to get traded by the Rangers? He is locked in and looking good so far, but he has to be right there with Rodriguez as likeliest trade candidate. The other two that come to mind are Valdez in BAL and possibly McGee in SF. A common denominator is that all these teams have hard throwing 8th inning guys that are younger, and if the Rangers view Joely Rodriguez as a future closer or the Pirates want to get a look at Crick or Bednar, they will be even more incentivized to move them. Any others I'm overlooking? 

Edited by Richard Kimble
5 minutes ago, Richard Kimble said:

I would like to pose a question that is not pressing, but may be important down the road-how likely is Ian Kennedy to get traded by the Rangers? He is locked in and looking good so far, but he has to be right there with Rodriguez as likeliest trade candidate. The other two that come to mind are Valdez in BAL and possibly McGee in SF. A common denominator is that all these teams have hard throwing 8th inning guys that are younger, and if the Rangers view Joely Rodriguez as a future closer or the Pirates want to get a look at Crick or Bednar, they will be even more incentivized to move them. Any others I'm overlooking? 

I get what you are saying... but I think it is far too early in even deep leagues to care about who is getting dealt right now. Even in deep leagues imo. Just ride those dudes and add some of the spec guys closer to the deadline if needed. There is so much uncertainty from the top 15 on all the time anyway, between blow ups and injuries, just do yourself a favor and do not even go there yet.  

Just now, LarryDavid said:

I get what you are saying... but I think it is far too early in even deep leagues to care about who is getting dealt right now. Even in deep leagues imo. Just ride those dudes and add some of the spec guys closer to the deadline if needed. There is so much uncertainty from the top 15 on all the time anyway, between blow ups and injuries, just do yourself a favor and do not even go there yet.  

It matters mostly in the AL and NL only leagues, where losing a closer is far worse. I agree it shouldn't be a concern in 12 teamers, but I'm looking at an AL only squad carrying Valdez and Kennedy, and recognizing that I would be smart to trade either if I can get something in return. I think the time is approaching in the next few weeks where saves needy owners in such leagues will have to buy into these guys a little bit, but you don't want to try to move them in July when everyone will be wary of losing them at any moment. It's a fine line. 

12 minutes ago, gbill2004 said:

Who do you guys predict ends the season with the most saves for the Jays?

Dolis, Romano, Merryweather, Nate Pearson and Ian Kennedy in a 5-way tie with 8 apiece.

And I'm only half-joking. I do think there's a pretty good chance the current group fights over it for a couple months and then they get someone at the trade deadline. I wouldn't feel good about any one guy.

32 minutes ago, SpartyOn4 said:

Dolis, Romano, Merryweather, Nate Pearson and Ian Kennedy in a 5-way tie with 8 apiece.

And I'm only half-joking. I do think there's a pretty good chance the current group fights over it for a couple months and then they get someone at the trade deadline. I wouldn't feel good about any one guy.

I'm 100% percent sure this team will acquire someone at the deadline for the late innings, which is why it's hard to get excited about any of them. I don't see Pearson getting saves though, as discussed with other good young arms like Antone, Kopech, he's too valuable long term as a starter and they'll resist every temptation to put him in the pen. They badly need another starter, too.

1 hour ago, Richard Kimble said:

I'm 100% percent sure this team will acquire someone at the deadline for the late innings, which is why it's hard to get excited about any of them. I don't see Pearson getting saves though, as discussed with other good young arms like Antone, Kopech, he's too valuable long term as a starter and they'll resist every temptation to put him in the pen. They badly need another starter, too.

I think Merryweather is the wildcard there. You're probably right but if he can return strong then maybe I see him taking the role and running

1 minute ago, mannymachado said:

Antone is the guy, told y’all like 2 days ago. Save for Mr Antone.

Nah just wanted to get him some work and why not the 9th 

He will be starting soon 

• Haha 3

Sims is not the guy 

• Like 2