NBC Sports Edge Forums

14 minutes ago, Baur10 said:

I think Merryweather is the wildcard there. You're probably right but if he can return strong then maybe I see him taking the role and running

True, just think they can't pitch him back to back or certainly not 3 out of 4 too often, especially if they like him long-term

• Like 1
  • Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

"Why don't you come over here and say that?!"

I hate closers - I feel like a dog chasing my tail in a circle. 😡

I’ve been watching the Tigers game. Clase was the only one warming up a few days ago when it looked like the Indians might tie or take the lead. Today, Karinchak was the only guy warming up in th

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Richard Kimble said:

I'm 100% percent sure this team will acquire someone at the deadline for the late innings, which is why it's hard to get excited about any of them. I don't see Pearson getting saves though, as discussed with other good young arms like Antone, Kopech, he's too valuable long term as a starter and they'll resist every temptation to put him in the pen. They badly need another starter, too.

Easy to spot the new guy in the Closer’s Thread. They’ll always start a post with, “I’m 100% sure...” 

The only thing I’m 100% sure of is that we have no idea what any team will do in a few months. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3
1 minute ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Easy to spot the new guy in the Closer’s Thread. They’ll always start a post with, “I’m 100% sure...” 

The only thing I’m 100% sure of is that we have no idea what any team will do in a few months. 

Lol passive aggressive nonsense...I called Dolis going ahead of Romano weeks ago but sure, it's an exaggeration to say you're 100% of anything. Any actual insight to offer here or just a dig and move on? Great contribution to the conversation.

• Haha 1
19 minutes ago, rotoguy74 said:

Nah just wanted to get him some work and why not the 9th 

He will be starting soon 

17 minutes ago, Dr. Whom said:

Sims is not the guy 

They started the 9th with fulmer up 4. He gives up a hit and a walk, so they bring in sims for the save. He gives up a walk then 2 outs then another walk, so they bring in antone for 1 out. 

It's now Antone vs...Doolittle? I know they planned to have him start next year, but they might need him to close this year, and if he dominates in the role he's not being pulled next year.

49 minutes ago, Richard Kimble said:

Lol passive aggressive nonsense...I called Dolis going ahead of Romano weeks ago but sure, it's an exaggeration to say you're 100% of anything. Any actual insight to offer here or just a dig and move on? Great contribution to the conversation.

Guess =/= insight. 

50 minutes ago, Tugginroot said:

Nevis pitch the last few days and not available today??

Yes, Neris pitched 5 of the last 7 days. Otherwise he would have been out there.

• Like 1

First time seeing Valdez pitch and just wow. It's like taping all your fingers together and lobbing it. I've never seen anything like it.

Good luck to the owners, but this can't last.

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, LarryChip10 said:

First time seeing Valdez pitch and just wow. It's like taping all your fingers together and lobbing it. I've never seen anything like it.

Good luck to the owners, but this can't last.

It’s a good change up that he throws very frequently. And he’s safely got the job for now anyways lol. Pretty clutch save today in a 3-2 game after giving up back to back singles to start the 9th.

Unknown how long it can last but sagnof, and I think there are honestly worse closers right now haha

Edited by fawkes_mulder
5 minutes ago, fawkes_mulder said:

It’s a good change up that he throws very frequently. And he’s safely got the job for now anyways lol. Pretty clutch save today in a 3-2 game after giving up back to back singles to start the 9th.

Unknown how long it can last but sagnof, and I think there are honestly worse closers right now haha

If every pitch is "very frequent", then we agree. But he would have blown another if Moreland's rocket wasn't caught by the third baseman, who was standing in the 5-6 hole due to the shift. It was lucky, and Brown almost hit it out to center after. It was IMHO, very lucky that he escaped 2 on w/ no outs. Sagnof for sure, but when the league gets a lil more tape and see's this 36 year old (75mph) closer, it won't end well.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, fawkes_mulder said:

I wouldn't call that clutch. He was extremely lucky. 

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, absknicks said:

I wouldn't call that clutch. He was extremely lucky. 

It wasn’t pretty but there are so many closers that would have walked some of the batters after the first two on, especially with some of the counts reaching 3 balls. The LD getting caught was fortunate, the fly balls don’t feel like luck. Takes more power to hit a 75 mph pitch out than a 95 mph.

Wheels could def fall off but Valdez is not close to losing his job imo. I think Scott is nastiest arm in pen but the roles seem set.

Edited by fawkes_mulder

I would wager that Sims still has first shot at the Reds closer job.  They prefer to use Antone for multiple innings and if you watched the game he should have had multiple strikeouts but the ump completely squeezed him, which I’m sure Bell noticed 

• Thanks 2