Jump to content
NBC Sports Edge Forums

Recommended Posts

Valdez threw his changeup 83.2% of the time last year. I can’t think of anyone I’ve ever seen like that, though his change almost moves like a knuckleball.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

"Why don't you come over here and say that?!"

I hate closers - I feel like a dog chasing my tail in a circle. 😡

I’ve been watching the Tigers game. Clase was the only one warming up a few days ago when it looked like the Indians might tie or take the lead. Today, Karinchak was the only guy warming up in th

Posted Images

7 minutes ago, fawkes_mulder said:

valdez 85 mph SZN

Yes, and he rarely throws it, soo.. Relies on his upper 70's change up. Hyde is going to putting the hard throwing Tanner Scott and him back to back ALOT this year because the difference between them is jarring.

Until Hunter Havery comes back, Scott and Valdez are the clear 2 options here IMO. Like it or not.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Slatykamora said:

Yes, and he rarely throws it, soo.. Relies on his upper 70's change up. Hyde is going to putting the hard throwing Tanner Scott and him back to back ALOT this year because the difference between them is jarring.

Until Hunter Havery comes back, Scott and Valdez are the clear 2 options here IMO. Like it or not.

dead fish changeup is kinda cool

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Slatykamora said:

Yes, and he rarely throws it, soo.. Relies on his upper 70's change up. Hyde is going to putting the hard throwing Tanner Scott and him back to back ALOT this year because the difference between them is jarring.

Until Hunter Havery comes back, Scott and Valdez are the clear 2 options here IMO. Like it or not.

How often are the guys who are going to hit against Scott going to be the same guys who hit against Valdez? Probably no often. The top of the Sox lineup wasn’t taken aback by Valdez’s slow change because of how hard Scott threw the inning before...they didn’t face him. 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Fbaseballgod said:

I don't know why more of us didn't predict it would be Valdez.  It was literally valdez last year in the exact same situation they have now LMAO

check offseason closer thread, I did predict this.

but on the otherhand, the news about valdez getting stretched out to throw multiple innings is also why people were not all over this too.

i even dropped valdez after reading that stuff. Ugh. haha.

Edited by fawkes_mulder
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Fbaseballgod said:

I would guess valdez gets most chances bc I don't think they trust scott lol

I don't think they would have thrown a guy they don't trust into the 8th to protect the opening day lead.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Fbaseballgod said:

I would guess valdez gets most chances bc I don't think they trust scott lol

Scott looked pretty good and should have had a called strike three on Devers to open the inning but Joe West blew the call.

Edited by damana
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, AnonymousRob said:

I don't think they would have thrown a guy they don't trust into the 8th to protect the opening day lead.

Some managers just don't think some people have "closer stuff."  Pressure and stuff.  The orioles have always been super reluctant to pitch Scott in the 9th for some reason.  He's always had the ability with his 100 MPH, but he walks so many that I don't really blame the Orioles for being nervous there.  There's a reason that they annointed Harvey the closer immediately even after Scott had a good season, if Valdez wasn't, well, valdez, I doubt there would be any discussion at all

Edited by Fbaseballgod
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Fbaseballgod said:

I would guess valdez gets most chances bc I don't think they trust scott lol

Don’t trust him but will use him as the set-up guy? I can’t say that makes much sense. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

Don’t trust him but will use him as the set-up guy? I can’t say that makes much sense. 

Hey, feel free to hold onto Scott!  I'm just giving my 2 cents as someone that has followed the orioles a bit.  Keep in mind that managers aren't always rational, especially with left handed closers :P

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

this whole discussion is ridiculous, scott is a very talented arm and they trust him, the closer is not always the guy with the sexiest strikeout rate or the most gifs on the pitching ninja's twitter. Ottavino had a few years where he was obviously the best guy in the pen but was a set up guy.

Very well could be another committee scenario in baltimore, just think valdez should have our attention.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, hawkeyezz said:

Is it Valdez solely now or a committee? Are we holding Scott?

There’s no way of knowing the answer to this for sure. The fact that both Valdez and Scott were warming in the 7th is telling. There’s a pretty good argument to be made that they chose Scott to pitch the 8th because Devers was leading off.  If you had to pick one, I’d throw my dart at Valdez, but personally I’d rather choose some of the other higher upside options that recently popped up over him, i.e. Reyes, Clase, Davis, Merryweather.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

How often are the guys who are going to hit against Scott going to be the same guys who hit against Valdez? Probably no often. The top of the Sox lineup wasn’t taken aback by Valdez’s slow change because of how hard Scott threw the inning before...they didn’t face him. 

Wait, do you think it will be often an Orioles SP makes it long enough that the bullpen only has the face the order once? I'm not so sure about that lol. 

They also do contrast from the SP they would have faced before anywho. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Fbaseballgod said:

Hey, feel free to hold onto Scott!  I'm just giving my 2 cents as someone that has followed the orioles a bit.  Keep in mind that managers aren't always rational, especially with left handed closers :P

I have no shares of any part of the O’s pen. Just speaking logically. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Flyman75 said:

I have no shares of any part of the O’s pen. Just speaking logically. 

And I'n telling you that the Orioles treatment of Scott has not been "logical."  But you do you!

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Slatykamora said:

Wait, do you think it will be often an Orioles SP makes it long enough that the bullpen only has the face the order once? I'm not so sure about that lol. 

They also do contrast from the SP they would have faced before anywho. 

What does the first question have to do with my reply to you? You said they’d go back-to-back a lot this year. Thus my response about it not mattering if they go back-to-back, because they won’t be facing the same batters. 

If they go back-to-back a lot, as you suggested, then going from Scott’s velo to Valdez’s won’t matter because they won’t face the same batters. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Fbaseballgod said:

And I'n telling you that the Orioles treatment of Scott has not been "logical."  But you do you!

Not sure why you’re being combative.. 

Edited by Flyman75
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

What does the first question have to do with my reply to you? You said they’d go back-to-back a lot this year. Thus my response about it not mattering if they go back-to-back, because they won’t be facing the same batters. 

If they go back-to-back a lot, as you suggested, then going from Scott’s velo to Valdez’s won’t matter because they won’t face the same batters. 

Yeah, you're right if that's what they do. I suspect that Scott's going to asked to pitch the late inning where the toughest lefty(s) are hitting. Devers/Verdugo are the only LHH and Scott came right in to face Devers in the 8th, but we shall see.

While keeping Fry in more 5th-6th inning situations vs LHH.

Edited by Slatykamora
Link to post
Share on other sites

Just an FYI on the O’s closer situation.  Valdez was the first guy warming up in the bullpen.  If Means had gotten into trouble in the 7th, Valdez would have gone in.  As it turned out, Means made it through, so with a lefty leading off the eighth Scott was called on.  This is fluid - based on matchups. There was no big plan to have Scott come in first followed by Valdez - it just happened to work out that way.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Sherlocklock said:

Just an FYI on the O’s closer situation.  Valdez was the first guy warming up in the bullpen.  If Means had gotten into trouble in the 7th, Valdez would have gone in.  As it turned out, Means made it through, so with a lefty leading off the eighth Scott was called on.  This is fluid - based on matchups. There was no big plan to have Scott come in first followed by Valdez - it just happened to work out that way.

When they showed the pen in the 7th, both Scott and Valdez were up. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Sherlocklock said:

Scott came up near the end of the inning.  Valdez was up first.

I believe there was one out when I saw it. 

Either way, it may or may not be fluid. When they showed the pen during the Boston home half (I believe), Scott was the only one up and made it obvious their direction. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...