NBC Sports EDGE Forums

2021 April Closer Thread

4 minutes ago, hawkeyezz said:

I have no idea what is the reason is for this threat but you made me laugh so I thank you.

"We knew all along Mcgee was the closer so I'm not sure what you're worried about"

"Moronta is no threat, his velocity is down" (I was the one providing updates on his velocity during ST)

As an owner of both Pagan and Pomeranz I’m disappointed it’s Melancon but I do like that Pagan has given me two wins in two games.  I’m torn to dropping them cuz literally either one of them has the stuff to be a closer. My luck I drop one of them and they get an opportunity. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, BMcP said:

Diekman struggling down one in the ninth

7 hours ago, hawkeyezz said:

Diekman allows 2 runs and pulled before he can finish the inning. Had 2ks though.

Do you think Diekman lost his temporary closer's job after last night's implosion?  I thought it was odd that Melvin came out and said that Diekman would close instead of Romo.  Yes, Diekman was better last year, but that was a super small sample size.  Romo has been the much better of the two during their careers and has more closing experience.  Diekman has a brutal career 1.38 WHIP with 221 BB in 396 IP.  Heck, even in his good year last year, Diekman still had 12 BB in 21 IP.

35 minutes ago, FootballFan101 said:

Do you think Diekman lost his temporary closer's job after last night's implosion?  I thought it was odd that Melvin came out and said that Diekman would close instead of Romo.  Yes, Diekman was better last year, but that was a super small sample size.  Romo has been the much better of the two during their careers and has more closing experience.  Diekman has a brutal career 1.38 WHIP with 221 BB in 396 IP.  Heck, even in his good year last year, Diekman still had 12 BB in 21 IP.

The fantasy play book on this one is crystal clear.  Rosenthal is 100% owned and owners are waiting for MRI results.  He won't be dropped until then.  Diekman is likely close to 100% owned in competitive leagues where possible since his manager actually named him the closer.  He won't be dropped or lose his job before rosenthals  MRI.  He will be likely universally dropped if the MRI comes back clean.   Romo is the one who is likely available as a lottery ticket, and not a bad one at that, 

*edit:  I recall reading that he'd be given some sort of treatment to see if it helped.  If not, an MRI I think was scheduled for Monday.  

Edited by Cesare13

2 minutes ago, Cesare13 said:

The fantasy play book on this one is crystal clear.  Rosenthal is 100% owned and owners are waiting for MRI results.  He won't be dropped until then.  Diekman is likely close to 100% owned in competitive leagues where possible since his manager actually named him the closer.  He won't be dropped or lose his job before rosenthals  MRI.  He will be likely universally dropped if the MRI comes back clean.   Romo is the one who is likely available as a lottery ticket, and not a bad one at that, 

Is Rosenthal scheduled to have an MRI now?  From what I read, "Rosenthal (shoulder) has not had an MRI yet, and the team hopes that medication he has taken will resolve the injury, Alex Coffey of The Athletic reports."

6 minutes ago, FootballFan101 said:

Is Rosenthal scheduled to have an MRI now?  From what I read, "Rosenthal (shoulder) has not had an MRI yet, and the team hopes that medication he has taken will resolve the injury, Alex Coffey of The Athletic reports."

I thought I saw that he was going to get an MRI on Monday.   The key word there is "yet".   Every injury starts with "hope".   Either way, the only action is competitive leagues without transaction and roster restrictions is likely  Romo.  I obviously have no medical data on Rosenthal, nor would I know what to do with it if I did, but this entire situation, the way its playing out, the "can't pitch back to back days" reminds me a lot of Arodys vizcaino 2 years ago. But my blathering won't,or shouldn't affect any roster decisions.

Edited by Cesare13

3 minutes ago, Monkeyman74 said:

Is it just me or is anyone thinking Reyes will end the year as a top 5 closer?

It could happen, but he's got to overcome his own issues with injuries and control. AND he's gotta be great all year without any hiccups, because they have multiple guys waiting in the wings, including a guy who was the closer before he got hurt. Plus reports indicate they're hoping he can be a SP next year. That seems like too many obstacles to overcome to keep the job all year. He seems to have the job right now, so he should absolutely be rostered. And he could keep the job and finish as one of the top closers this year. But I'm going to be surprised if he's still got it by the ASB.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, meh2 said:

Sad face. But time to jump on the Clase hype train!

If Wittgren cannot barely get any Tigers out I assume he will not get chances

• Like 1

Dillon Tate made quick work of the heart of the Red Sox order in the 8th. 3 outs on 11 pitches, pounding the K zone with his Mid-90's sinker, mixing in his Slider.

Think there is a chance Hyde lets him finish this game. 

Edit: Valdez is warming up now, so NM

Edited by Slatykamora

2 minutes ago, meh2 said:

And wittgren gave up three hits, a couple walks and three runs.  To go from a 2-1 game to a 5-1 game.  And he was pulled.  For the moment, it takes away a save opp for Detroit.  

7 minutes ago, meh2 said:

Yeah, it still looks like a committee, but I think whoever runs with the opportunity is probably going to keep the job. Clase probably has the best stuff/command. And Wittgren definitely put himself in third place after today's turd.

4 minutes ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

Is anyone up in the o’s pen for the potential save situation or are they gonna leave the dide that pitched in the 8th in to close it out?

Valdez and his 85 mph cheese  in for the save. 

1 minute ago, swingbatter said:

And wittgren gave up three hits, a couple walks and three runs.  To go from a 2-1 game to a 5-1 game.  And he was pulled.  For the moment, it takes away a save opp for Detroit.  

I was watching the game and he was getting pinched by the ump early and looked frustrated. Detroit went off after that. He doesn't look the part to me.

That was fugly but Valdez pulled it of. Hyde clearly favors Valdez for some reason, if this was an actual committee. Valdez would have been pulled because he was not finding the zone at all with those first few batters.

Talent wise, came away impressed with Tate as a potential option down the road if Hyde wants a right hander with actual stuff to close.

Edited by Slatykamora