NBC Sports Edge Forums

Where do you get Breaking News Updates?

Where do you guys get breaking news updates?  I'm looing for an app that will shoot me a notification for injury news, etc. as it breaks.  Every year I see other managers picking up players as news breaks & feel like I'm missing out on a resource that could be valuable.  Today, for example, I would have loved an alert as soon as Rosnethal went on the IL so I could rush out to get Diekman.  Also, as the news that Alex Reyes would be "closing" games came out, I would have wanted to get an alert about that.  But of course, by the time I saw the news, others in my league had beat me to the punch.  Does anybody have a good app recommendation to help keep informed as news is breaking?

If you want push alerts you can make a Twitter and follow the local beat writers . I’m sure there are also Twitter accounts devoted to breaking fantasy news, prospect call ups etc. I just don’t know any of them by name at this time .

8 hours ago, TheBatDad said:

Where do you guys get breaking news updates?  I'm looing for an app that will shoot me a notification for injury news, etc. as it breaks.  Every year I see other managers picking up players as news breaks & feel like I'm missing out on a resource that could be valuable.  Today, for example, I would have loved an alert as soon as Rosnethal went on the IL so I could rush out to get Diekman.  Also, as the news that Alex Reyes would be "closing" games came out, I would have wanted to get an alert about that.  But of course, by the time I saw the news, others in my league had beat me to the punch.  Does anybody have a good app recommendation to help keep informed as news is breaking?

Yes--the "Fantasy Life" app. I use it for baseball, basketball, and football. You will always be the first in your league to know breaking news.  

Edited by Ace_King

The rotowire app seems to be the best APP but costs .99 cents per month for unlimited news. I know we can get that news free in player blurbs but it's nice to have it consolidated all in a spot. They have taken over the rotoworld and cover way more ground. 

36 minutes ago, tucker26 said:

The rotowire app seems to be the best APP but costs .99 cents per month for unlimited news. I know we can get that news free in player blurbs but it's nice to have it consolidated all in a spot. They have taken over the rotoworld and cover way more ground. 

where do you see that pricing? Went to the website and see the lowest to be about $4.99/month

1 minute ago, midlip said:

where do you see that pricing? Went to the website and see the lowest to be about $4.99/month

I believe he was talking about the app.

• Like 1
21 hours ago, TheBatDad said:

You can push injury reports through to you via Yahoo's fantasy platform phone app if you play on Yahoo.  Go to the settings and check the boxes on the instant notices you want.

Also by the time Rosenthal was OFFICIALLY put on the IL that is very LATE in the notification process.  Honestly as far as reliever news the best place is to refresh this forum's closer thread. It is quicker than Closer Monkey and other sites though hard to use as an "alert" since there are so many posts here to wade through to get to the hard news.  But the rumors can be important too.

• Like 1

The NBC Sports Edge app just came out and its got potential. Loads fast and has notifications...its looking like a nice replacement for the old Rotoworld app. I been using the FantasyPros app but their news arent exactly "Johnny-on-the-spot" and sometimes theres no updates for the late west coast games.

Edited by Gryfter
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, Gryfter said:

The NBC Sports Edge app just came out and its got potential. Loads fast and has notifications...its looking like a nice replacement for the old Rotoworld app. I been using the FantasyPros app but their news arent exactly "Johnny-on-the-spot" and sometimes theres no updates for the late west coast games.

Liking it so far. About time there is a viable RotoWorld/Edge app after the horrendous NBC Sports app "integration."

15 hours ago, Ace_King said:

Yes--the "Fantasy Life" app. I use it for baseball, basketball, and football. You will always be the first in your league to know breaking news.  

Just downloaded "Fantasy Life" and see no area for up-to-the-minute player news?

2 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Honestly as far as reliever news the best place is to refresh this forum's closer thread. It is quicker than Closer Monkey and other sites though hard to use as an "alert" since there are so many posts here to wade through to get to the hard news.  But the rumors can be important too.

BINGO!!

12 hours ago, Gryfter said:

Thanks--will have to download it!

9 hours ago, IlliniGuy76 said:

Just downloaded "Fantasy Life" and see no area for up-to-the-minute player news?

Go to "edit" on the top right and put "baseball recap" on. It is the same concept for basketball and hockey. For whatever reason, they don't list it as "breaking news" for anything other than football. It basically is the NBC Sports Edge blurbs coming out as alerts but it will be fast on injuries, transactions, etc.

I'm also trying out the NBC Sports Edge app and I'm a fan so far. It's simple which is nice for periodically checking player news.

I was using PlayerLine, which is also solid and aggregates player news from multiple sources, though depending on how you customize it, can be a bit messy/have duplicate info. Customization requires signing up which is a negative.

Twitter by far.  Follow all the beat writers.  If you need news on a player type in his name in the Twitter search then choose “latest” for the latest tweets including that player’s name.