Jump to content
NBC Sports Edge Forums

Recommended Posts

30 minutes ago, tucker26 said:

On pace for 162 Hrs.

 

Obviously 2 home runs already is a great thing but I think even better is that the pulled one and then did this, great extension. Dont forget they moved the fences in a little in RF in San Fran as well.

Link to post
Share on other sites

You could nearly get Buster for free in Drafts, and was on a few wires to begin the season. A whole season off could be just what the Doctor ordered.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...

I just took a look at his career numbers out of curiousity. He's a career .302/.370/.459 guy at this moment, which I admit is better than I expected. Although HR power has always been the knock on him from a fantasy perspective, with only two seasons over 20 HRs in his career and only 5 of 15 or more, but he's never a zero in the category. He became an "Old Man Yeller" in the eyes of fantasy owners years ago, which made him a nice value pick in the late rounds with little upside. Still, he'd always get overlooked for the flavor of the month, because its embarrassing/boring in the eyes of some managers to roster boring old vets.  Given the state of things with catching across baseball, he's starting to look like he might be right outside the top 5 catchers again. If he can get back to that 20 HR mark he'll be very useful, with his BA so much safer than just about every other catcher. Health will always be a concern as with every other catcher, but the Giants have built a roster around rest for their vets and platoon advantages for their younger players, so this story certainly can continue all year long. 

Edited by Richard Kimble
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Richard Kimble said:

I just took a look at his career numbers out of curiousity. He's a career .302/.370/.459 guy at this moment, which I admit is better than I expected. Although HR power has always been the knock on him from a fantasy perspective, with only two seasons over 20 HRs in his career and only 5 of 15 or more, but he's never a zero in the category. He became an "Old Man Yeller" in the eyes of fantasy owners years ago, which made him a nice value pick in the late rounds with little upside. Still, he'd always get overlooked for the flavor of the month, because its embarrassing/boring in the eyes of some managers to roster boring old vets.  Given the state of things with catching across baseball, he's starting to look like he might be right outside the top 5 catchers again. If he can get back to that 20 HR mark he'll be very useful, with his BA so much safer than just about every other catcher. Health will always be a concern as with every other catcher, but the Giants have built a roster around rest for their vets and platoon advantages for their younger players, so this story certainly can continue all year long. 

Theres usually a few veterans each year who manage another useful fantasy season or two before heading off into the sunset (See Hunter Pence or Lance Berkman) this may be Buster's.

Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, RoadApple said:

Theres usually a few veterans each year who manage another useful fantasy season or two before heading off into the sunset (See Hunter Pence or Lance Berkman) this may be Buster's.

I'm sure having all last year off helped him get healthy.  He had been fighting a number of ailments.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, svdude said:

I'm sure having all last year off helped him get healthy.  He had been fighting a number of ailments.  

Didn't he opt out last year because he and his wife had just adopted a foreign child? It was a forgotten story by the time of draft day, but I respect the hell out of him for making the best decision for his family. Probably safe to say he's in a good place by prioritizing family over money and hopefully he's loving playing the game again, too.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Richard Kimble said:

Didn't he opt out last year because he and his wife had just adopted a foreign child? It was a forgotten story by the time of draft day, but I respect the hell out of him for making the best decision for his family. Probably safe to say he's in a good place by prioritizing family over money and hopefully he's loving playing the game again, too.

Yeah, some things are just too important over sports. We forget it's just a game sometimes.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

The more I learn about the Posey family, the more I'm blown away. While researching hitting for the cycle today I discovered this little nugget: 

A "home run cycle"—hitting home runs with zero, one, two, and three runners on base, all in the same game, has been accomplished at other levels of play, examples include: in April 2011 by Florida State Seminoles player Samantha Posey, sister of San Francisco Giants catcher Buster Posey

Link to post
Share on other sites

[...] he was basically playing everyday as a catcher (Playing 1B on 'off' days) while pretty much everyone else was toiling with mediocre catchers playing 3 or 4 times per week. I hope he has another good season or two left in him.

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed Cool Story
Link to post
Share on other sites

While Bart is up, Posey is more free to pinch hit and sub at 1st with another backup at catcher. Wonder if the hot start plus injuries has Kapler considering more ABs for Buster...

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, herschel said:

any update on the injury.  would be a shame if its anything serious given how he has been doing...

Rotowire is saying tight hamstring.... I don’t know what that means long term

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah hopefully a “we have Thursday off so let’s not risk it” type of situation 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Mongeese said:

Bart got sent down.  Assuming that means Posey is OK.

Did Bart get sent down before or after Posey left the game?

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/3/2021 at 4:18 PM, Brettg57 said:

You could nearly get Buster for free in Drafts, and was on a few wires to begin the season. A whole season off could be just what the Doctor ordered.

He looks back! Oppo taco's, even one into the Cove. It's crazy but he looks like prime healthy Posey again, why can't he be a top 3 C again? His contact skills have always been in tact, now he's driving the ball again.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, tucker26 said:

With Belt and Ruf hurt maybe it's time to dust off the 1B mitt and get Posey more ABs. Here is Buster breaking down his swing change for 2021:

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/giants/giants-buster-posey-explains-swing-changes-keyed-red-hot-start

Thanks for the link.  It seems SF prefers to rest Posey instead of slotting him at 1B.  Sounds like Vosler will be most likely fill-in at 1B.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...