NBC Sports Edge Forums

If this dude weighs 235, then I have the physique of Brad Pitt in Fight Club.  How about that debut last night?  5 for 5 with 4 RBI.  He’s always been an intriguing slugger in the minors, but a flat out butcher behind the plate.  Perhaps he should’ve been getting the majority of DH ABs in 2020 over Edwin Encarnacion, who was basically a corpse.  

• Haha 3
  • Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

LMAO! this is like that episode where george quits and regrets it later so jerry suggests he just go back like nothing ever happened

Keep going, I'm almost there. 

This is a travesty. What an outrage! Tony LaRussa ruined him. That, and sliders. And breaking balls in general. And catching a pop fly or fielding a grounder. And running. But mostly TLR!

Posted Images

20 minutes ago, Tommy Lee Jones said:

If this dude weighs 235, then I have the physique of Brad Pitt in Fight Club.  How about that debut last night?  5 for 5 with 4 RBI.  He’s always been an intriguing slugger in the minors, but a flat out butcher behind the plate.  Perhaps he should’ve been getting the majority of DH ABs in 2020 over Edwin Encarnacion, who was basically a corpse.  

Technically his debut was last year as a pinch-hitter, this was just his first career start...

12 minutes ago, Ryansm11 said:

So... is he gonna have playing time? 

My guess is short side of the platoon DH..at least until Adam Engel comes back.  Then Vaughn could switch to full time DH.  I don't see how they keep running Vaughn out in LF.  That's a disaster waiting to happen.

• Like 1

I know that Robert and Engel can cover 80% of the outfield.  Those guys are absolutely superb fielders.  So from that standpoint, I don’t think Vaughn playing LF is that big of a deal.  Now it’s just a matter of time before Adam Eaton gets injured - hopefully, it coincides with Engel’s return.  If things go right, Yermin will get a decent amount of DH reps.  I’m still optimistic about Zack Collins as well.  The White Sox are lucky to have this type of depth considering they lost their top slugger (with all due respect to Abreu).

1 hour ago, Overlord said:

Even Yahoo didn't give this guy eligibility at catcher!

That UTIL-only designation really kills the excitement. 

Because he probably wasn't in the 2019 database so they used his playing information from his 2020 season which was one game...  That is why he is UTIL...

3 hours ago, Tommy Lee Jones said:

Right.  Season debut.

Right and you didn't state that to clarify...

7 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Utility-only with a defensive grade of minus zero.  Not likely to play any position and though he can hit the ball consistently, he never has shown any power.  Pass.

He has been graded to have above average power and average in game power. Catching prospects do have trouble with their bats in the minors because of how much they are asked to learn and do. Since he is no longer catching, he's free to be a hitter and he smashed in 2019(but so did everyone in AAA in fairness)

Passing on him because he has no defensive value and will struggle find PT i get, but passing because you don't think hit he will hit for power is not a fair critique

Edited by Slatykamora
19 minutes ago, Slatykamora said:

He has been graded to have above average power and average in game power. Catching prospects do have trouble with their bats in the minors because of how much they are asked to learn and do. Since he is no longer catching, he's free to be a hitter and he smashed in 2019(but so did everyone in AAA in fairness)

Passing on him because he has no defensive value and will struggle find PT i get, but passing because you don't think hit he will hit for power is not a fair critique

He wasn't always a catching prospect in the minors, just recently relatively speaking.  And everything I've read about him says he has below average power.  We must read different articles I guess.  🤷‍♂️

He showed plenty of pop, and if he keeps hitting, I can see him becoming an every-day DH for them, especially with Eloy out. 
Definitely has 20+Hr kinda pop in him. 

Hard to sit someone when they go 5-for-5

3 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Utility-only with a defensive grade of minus zero.  Not likely to play any position and though he can hit the ball consistently, he never has shown any power.  Pass.

Uh what. He was great at AA and AAA in 2019 and hit 23 HR is less and 100 games. .647 SLG in AAA.

This dude is a monster....Had been watching him all spring, so glad i took a super late round flyer on him at the end of my draft.

He's back in the lineup tonight! As I suspected, Andrew Vaughn has been benched, Billy Hamilton in left field, with Mercedes in the DH spot. I really think the battle is between Vaughn & Mercedes for at-bats, as they're both in the same situation (great offensive potential, with minimal defensive capabilities; vying for DH). If Mercedes can earn 4-5 starts per week, he could produce some nice numbers, especially with Catcher eligibility.

Regardless, rooting for the guy. I hope it's a historic year rather than a historic week/couple of days. If he can hit Ohtani, the hype might reach another level.

EDIT: Oh, and he's also moved up in the order, batting 5th behind Abreu & Moncada.

Edited by PhilaFanBoy
4 minutes ago, hawkeyezz said:

Wait he plays catcher? Or has in the past?

Any chance he plays there this year?

He has catcher eligibility in ESPN, at least. I believe that's the position he's gone through the minors as. It sounds unlikely he'll see much time at catcher with Grandal there, and Zack Collins as his backup, but there is a chance he picks up eligibility at catcher on other sites if he becomes a key part of the offense and sees enough reps.

Edited by PhilaFanBoy
3 hours ago, PhilaFanBoy said:

He has catcher eligibility in ESPN, at least. I believe that's the position he's gone through the minors as. It sounds unlikely he'll see much time at catcher with Grandal there, and Zack Collins as his backup, but there is a chance he picks up eligibility at catcher on other sites if he becomes a key part of the offense and sees enough reps.

Even Yahoo doesn't have him as a catcher.  Just UTIL.  ESPN is getting soft, haha.  And yeah he isn't catching in the majors any time soon.

• Like 1