NBC Sports Edge Forums

24 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

He does kind of look like Pablo Sandoval 2.0.  Wonder if he is into cheeseburgers too.

The hype for Sandoval then does remind me of Mercedes now. Back in 2007, Sandoval hit .345 over his first 40 games and then went on to hit .330 with 25 HR and 90 RBI in his sophomore year. I'd certainly take that from Mercedes.

I think Sandoval started as a catcher in the minors too.

Sandoval was actually much bigger. Mercedes is pretty lean in comparison lol.

Edited by PhilaFanBoy
  • Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Keep going, I'm almost there. 

LMAO! this is like that episode where george quits and regrets it later so jerry suggests he just go back like nothing ever happened

This is a travesty. What an outrage! Tony LaRussa ruined him. That, and sliders. And breaking balls in general. And catching a pop fly or fielding a grounder. And running. But mostly TLR!

Posted Images

.270-25 seems actually possible if he gets enough PAs. It'll be interesting to see what happens if he and Vaughn both hit if Eloy does come back in August as the updated timeline for his return claims. Unless Yermin is still a monster, he's gonna be the odd man out in that group of 3.

6 minutes ago, sleepysock said:

.270-25 seems actually possible if he gets enough PAs. It'll be interesting to see what happens if he and Vaughn both hit if Eloy does come back in August as the updated timeline for his return claims. Unless Yermin is still a monster, he's gonna be the odd man out in that group of 3.

That “updated timeline” was refuted by the Sox G.M. so it’s not looking like Eloy will be back anytime before September, if at all this season:

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/baseball/news/white-soxs-eloy-jimenez-undergoes-surgery/

2 minutes ago, Jub Jub said:

That “updated timeline” was refuted by the Sox G.M. so it’s not looking like Eloy will be back anytime before September, if at all this season:

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/baseball/news/white-soxs-eloy-jimenez-undergoes-surgery/

Ah, the dreaded update to the update. I guess that's good for Yermin owners and sad for those us who unabashedly love Eloy.

17 minutes ago, Jub Jub said:

4 months is best case for Eloy. He's damn young so maybe...

3 minutes ago, this guy right here said:

My apologies to all the owners enjoying his good start. Added him Sunday.

They figured him out. Been peppering him up in the zone and it's working so far. Hope he can adjust to their adjustments.

It's only been two games since his last homer. Still only 4 strikeouts on the year. He walked 3 times yesterday. Teams are certainly aware of him, but I'm not concerned.

https://www.pitcherlist.com/the-legitmus-test-from-mercedes-to-musgrove/

2 hours ago, sportsfreak2744 said:

Just came here to make sure that we all agree his nickname should be Yermin Supreme and that if it's not already, well there you go.

How could it not be The Yerminator?!

• Haha 1
32 minutes ago, jmcampbe11 said:

So how are we feeling about the Yerminator a few weeks in? Long term add or just a hot bat? 

Here is what Eric Longenhagen said about him during a chat.

Insert Clever Name Here
12:47
You mentioned in a June chat that you liked Yermin Mercedes hitting but seemed pretty pessimistic about his ability behind the plate.  Out of curiosity, has the bat been enough to put him on the White Sox list (even in HM), or are there enough questions to warrant not including him?

Eric A Longenhagen
Oh I'm all in on that guy now I think he's going to mash.
White Sox are really clogged at DH and corner spots, though.

Dude looks pretty legit at the plate to me.  One at-bat that stands out was earlier this week when he came in as a pinch hitter against Bieber who was absolutely mowing the White Sox down.  Mercedes fouled off a bunch of Bieber’s best offerings and looked completely at home up there against one of the best pitchers in baseball.  I think he ended up grounding out but I came away from that AB feeling like this guy might just be here to stay.  

3 minutes ago, B&F said:

Here is what Eric Longenhagen said about him during a chat.

Helpful, but how do "we" feel? He's catcher eligible in ESPN. Maybe we can start there. What catchers would we rank ahead of him ROS?

2 minutes ago, Von Hayes said:

Dude looks pretty legit at the plate to me.  One at-bat that stands out was earlier this week when he came in as a pinch hitter against Bieber who was absolutely mowing the White Sox down.  Mercedes fouled off a bunch of Bieber’s best offerings and looked completely at home up there against one of the best pitchers in baseball.  I think he ended up grounding out but I came away from that AB feeling like this guy might just be here to stay.  

Yeah, he seems like a tough out. Only 3 Ks on the season. I just worry about him being a man without a position. It seems like the White Sox have A LOT of them. What happens if /when he slumps? Does LaRussa pivot to someone else?

On 4/15/2021 at 9:50 PM, jmcampbe11 said:

Yeah, he seems like a tough out. Only 3 Ks on the season. I just worry about him being a man without a position. It seems like the White Sox have A LOT of them. What happens if /when he slumps? Does LaRussa pivot to someone else?

He's currently auditioning for a spot in the Sox pen! He has a sinking 81 MPH fastball and a 65-MPH curve that completely drops off 10 feet in front of home plate. He actually did crank it up to 88 MPH and looked to be having fun out there in a 10-5 game. After a lead-off walk/SB by Cordero, he got a DP on a liner to 2nd by Dalbec. The hit parade then started after with a double by Hernandez, single by Verdugo, and RBI single from JD Martinez. A walk to Devers before a long flyout from Vazquez. Fun to see, but Rick Ankiel this guy ain't. 

On 4/15/2021 at 6:50 PM, jmcampbe11 said:

Me personally; I didn’t (and probably wouldn’t) drop Gary Sanchez for him. Anyone drafted later than that though, I would probably consider parting ways for Yermin.  So, I guess somewhere in that 8-10 range?

36 minutes ago, Richard Kimble said:

He's currently auditioning for a spot in the Sox pen! He has a sinking 81 MPH fastball and a 65-MPH curve that completely drops off 10 feet in front of home plate. He actually did crank it up to 88 MPH and looked to be having fun out there in a 10-5 game. After a lead-off walk/SB by Cordero, he got a DP on a liner to 2nd by Dalbec. The hit parade then started after with a double by Hernandez, single by Verdugo, and RBI single from JD Martinez. A walk to Devers before a long flyout from Vazquez. Fun to see, but Rick Ankiel this guy ain't. 

Honestly, he's quickly moving up to the top of my list of favorite players in the game. Absolutely rooting for the guy.

• Like 2
8 hours ago, jmcampbe11 said:

Honestly, he's quickly moving up to the top of my list of favorite players in the game. Absolutely rooting for the guy.

He could become everyone's favorite player is he somehow turned out to be an All-Star level player. Even if he settles into just being a solid every day player he is going to have a huge fanbase, but if his performance stays at a high level all season, he is going to get so much notice throughout the game. Its the smile, no doubt. For fantasy managers he's still an enigma, but as a fan of baseball you have to root for this kid.

1 minute ago, Richard Kimble said:

He could become everyone's favorite player is he somehow turned out to be an All-Star level player. Even if he settles into just being a solid every day player he is going to have a huge fanbase, but if his performance stays at a high level all season, he is going to get so much notice throughout the game. Its the smile, no doubt. For fantasy managers he's still an enigma, but as a fan of baseball you have to root for this kid.

~ top 40 offensive player in most formats by EOS