• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Keep going, I'm almost there. 

Ahhhh ... there it is ....

Or Mercedes Bombs.   I'll see myself out.

Posted Images

5 hours ago, Del Rio said:

Starting at 1B today

Wow, and Abreu is at DH. That'd be awesome if he picks up 1B by mid-summer. Maybe there's a chance.

1 hour ago, Richard Kimble said:

He made an error at 1B today and was swapped out on defense after 2 at-bats. I hope he sees more time in the field but this was not an ideal start.

False. He left due to injury. Fouled a pitch off his foot earlier in the game... stayed in initially but adrenaline probably wore down and they took him out. Not sure why you are implying he was swapped out for his defense. 

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Csiebert5 said:

False. He left due to injury. Fouled a pitch off his foot earlier in the game... stayed in initially but adrenaline probably wore down and they took him out. Not sure why you are implying he was swapped out for his defense. 

Nope.  Turns out otherwise it seems:

White Sox manager Tony La Russa clarified that Yermin Mercedes was pulled in the fifth inning Tuesday for defensive purposes.

Mercedes fouled a ball off his foot earlier in the game but came away from that unscathed. The slugger was making his first start in the field (at first base) and La Russa simply wanted to avoid him being overexposed.

Source: Daryl Van Schouwen on Twitter       Apr 20, 2021, 11:36 PM ET

But it's no big deal to be pulled either.  This was only the second time he took the field all season the first being to pitch at Fenway.  So why wouldn't they have him take a seat in the later innings.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
23 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Nope.  Turns out otherwise it seems:

But it's no big deal to be pulled either.  This was only the second time he took the field all season the first being to pitch at Fenway.  So why wouldn't they have him take a seat in the later innings.

Hmm, saw somewhere he was pulled due to injury. Was watching the game when he fouled the ball off his foot and he looked to be hobbling a bit after he grounded out. But if LaRussa came out and said it I guess that squashes it. My bad Richard lol.

Looks like they're easing him into the field. Hopefully that's a good sign for pos. eligibility. 

Edited by Csiebert5
19 hours ago, Csiebert5 said:

Hmm, saw somewhere he was pulled due to injury. Was watching the game when he fouled the ball off his foot and he looked to be hobbling a bit after he grounded out. But if LaRussa came out and said it I guess that squashes it. My bad Richard lol.

Looks like they're easing him into the field. Hopefully that's a good sign for pos. eligibility. 

It's funny, I got a text about it from a friend back in Chicago who's a big Sox fan, I won't go into it but we troll each other constantly b/c I'm a Cubs fan. After Eloy went down (and I admit I'm just salty that he's not still on the Cubs) I started this whole thing, and well, now he got me to secretly admit how much Yermin has stolen my heart (the Cubs are just unwatchable) so he just wanted to needle me when it happened.

This is the thing-fantasy wise we want him to gain addl. eligibility, but in reality, they should just stick him at DH this season and worry about finding him a spot down the road. It's a long term concern past this season, but these things tend to work themselves out. 

On 4/21/2021 at 5:16 PM, Richard Kimble said:

It's funny, I got a text about it from a friend back in Chicago who's a big Sox fan, I won't go into it but we troll each other constantly b/c I'm a Cubs fan. After Eloy went down (and I admit I'm just salty that he's not still on the Cubs) I started this whole thing, and well, now he got me to secretly admit how much Yermin has stolen my heart (the Cubs are just unwatchable) so he just wanted to needle me when it happened.

This is the thing-fantasy wise we want him to gain addl. eligibility, but in reality, they should just stick him at DH this season and worry about finding him a spot down the road. It's a long term concern past this season, but these things tend to work themselves out. 

My wild take is they sell high on Yermin and trade him this offseason when they introduce the universal DH. Eloy, Abreu and Vaughn aren't going anywhere anytime soon. Unless Vaughn can play RF and consequently takes Eaton's spot, Yermin is gonna end up the odd man out in the end.

Goddamn this guy can rake. Built like a brick sh*thouse and boy oh boy he hits bombs. The way this man barrels up the lumber and lays the wood...frankly, it’s just mean. To baseballs that is. I honestly feel bad for the balls that happen to hurled his way: what a miserable existence for a baseball. Yermin just destroys ‘em. Absolutely pummels them. Reaches exit velos upwards of 110 + (with 113.3 being his best so far). The man is ruthless.

His 5 jacks to date 

• Bomb #1: 421 ft exiting at 104.5 MPH
  • Bomb #2: 485 ft ! 👀 (sweet baby Jesus) exiting at 113.3 MPH
  • Bomb #3: 431 ft exiting at 111.2 MPH
  • Bomb #4: 431 ft exiting at 109.9 MPH
  • Bomb #5 (last night): 449 ft exiting at 110.8 MPH 

Here. Take a look at a couple of them. A thing of beauty

Mercedes majestic 485 ft atomic bomb

Last night’s 449 ft missile to dead center

And oh by the way, all this while sporting a major league leading .423 BA a full moth into the season. (In best attempt at Hubie Brown voice) — I mean c’maaaahn

Obviously the .400 + BA is unsustainable. Butt his hitting profile + the sustained minor league numbers / track record prior to now + the early MLB results — both in terms of both what I’m seeing statistically as well as what I’m seeing with my own eyes — tells me this is a .300 hitter with 30 + bombs and 90 to 110 RBI.

And I would have said, as a disclaimer, If the AB’s are there...but I no longer have to. Cause at this point, that is a given: the AB’s are there. All season long. Official. Mr. Mercedes (for 2021 anyhow) has arrived and he’s here to stay.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
1 hour ago, Chest-Rockwell said:

Goddamn this guy can rake. Built like a brick sh*thouse and boy oh boy he hits bombs. The way this man barrels up the lumber and lays the wood...frankly, it’s just mean. To baseballs that is. I honestly feel bad for the balls that happen to hurled his way: what a miserable existence for a baseball. Yermin just destroys ‘em. Absolutely pummels them. Reaches exit velos upwards of 110 + (with 113.3 being his best so far). The man is ruthless.

Keep going, I'm almost there. 

• Haha 8

All that power and a 13.3% strikeout rate.  

I will say that again.  A 13.3% strikeout rate.

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, B&F said:

Late scratch.  Don't have a good feeling about this.

It's nothing to do with an injury. It's actually LaRussa being an idiot. Shocker. Apparently Yermin reported a bit later and that was the "tiebreaker" between him and Lamb getting ABs today. LaRussa said that he was close to giving Lamb at bats anyway and Yermin quote "looked a little out of his swing" yesterday so that plus the fact that he was late=more Lamb. He is fine and not hurt. Unsure why he was late.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, FearTheHawk said:

It's nothing to do with an injury. It's actually LaRussa being an idiot. Shocker. Apparently Yermin reported a bit later and that was the "tiebreaker" between him and Lamb getting ABs today. LaRussa said that he was close to giving Lamb at bats anyway and Yermin quote "looked a little out of his swing" yesterday so that plus the fact that he was late=more Lamb. He is fine and not hurt. Unsure why he was late.

This seems minor, but it bears watching if he lands in LaRussa's doghouse. I was watching an at-bat earlier this year when the announcers relayed a story about Yermin's time in the Mexican leagues. By his own admission, Yermin was a little immature and a bit of a hot dog when he was younger. Evidently, he was so disliked by his own manager that the manager walked to the opposing clubhouse before a game, and asked if they wanted to HAVE him for NOTHING. Not even a bag of baseballs. Its crazy to think something so silly could happen at any level of professional baseball, but it illustrates that Yermin's style certainly rubs the Old School heads the wrong way. This little item doesn't surprise me at all. 

3 minutes ago, Richard Kimble said:

This seems minor, but it bears watching if he lands in LaRussa's doghouse. I was watching an at-bat earlier this year when the announcers relayed a story about Yermin's time in the Mexican leagues. By his own admission, Yermin was a little immature and a bit of a hot dog when he was younger. Evidently, he was so disliked by his own manager that the manager walked to the opposing clubhouse before a game, and asked if they wanted to HAVE him for NOTHING. Not even a bag of baseballs. Its crazy to think something so silly could happen at any level of professional baseball, but it illustrates that Yermin's style certainly rubs the Old School heads the wrong way. This little item doesn't surprise me at all. 

I understand this but also LaRussa has horribly mismanaged the White Sox this year. So I think that's a factor too. We'll see how this plays out. Yermin isn't back in the lineup until Friday because of 2 days off and 2 on the road v cincy.

I don't know if you can say he's mismanaging them, it remains to be seen, ultimately it just matters whether they win. You have to understand they don't manage for fantasy purposes. Last night's 3 inning outing from Kopech following a 68-pitch 5-inning start from Lynn off the DL is a good example. I know fantasy managers would have left him in for the QS and gone for Kopech's vulture save, but its not the best real life decision. Every time Lamb has found himself in the lineup people are freaking because it takes Yermin's spot, but this is kind of the deal with owning him. He doesn't have a position and he's going to be sitting in interleague series, or just in favor of getting other guys ABs. This is a reminder that he's still a GREAT sell-high trade candidate right now, especially with so many teams struggling on offense. 

• 3 weeks later...
Posted (edited)
No discussion the past two weeks, but Yermin has still been raking. Last night he took La Tortuga deep on a 3-0 count with the score 15-4 in favor of the White Sox, and after the game LaRussa said it was a "clueless...mistake" and that Yermin would "suffer the consequences within the family." This is exactly the kind of new school v. old school friction that hiring La Russa would create. Predictably, the Twins threw behind him tonight, resulting in the ejection of Baldelli and Tyler Duffey. This is just a ridiculous situation, and yet this incredible fact underscores how much of an unwritten rule this has become in baseball over the years:
In the last 20 years, MLB hitters have seen 557 pitches in 3-0 counts with their teams up 10+ runs. Yermin Mercedes was the first to swing. And it was great.
Edited by Richard Kimble
11 minutes ago, Richard Kimble said:
No discussion the past two weeks, but Yermin has still been raking. Last night he took La Tortuga deep on a 3-0 count with the score 15-4 in favor of the White Sox, and after the game LaRussa said it was a "clueless...mistake" and that Yermin would "suffer the consequences within the family." This is exactly the kind of new school v. old school friction that hiring La Russa would create. Predictably, the Twins threw behind him tonight, resulting in the ejection of Baldelli and Tyler Duffey. This is just a ridiculous situation, and yet this incredible fact underscores how much of an unwritten rule this has become in baseball over the years:
In the last 20 years, MLB hitters have seen 557 pitches in 3-0 counts with their teams up 10+ runs. Yermin Mercedes was the first to swing. And it was great.

What a coincidence.. I just started a thread on this debate 😁

38 minutes ago, Richard Kimble said:

In the last twenty years how many teams have lost a 10+ run lead by not swinging at a 3-0 count?

.103 ISO and only 4 XBH in the month of May (one of them against a certain 3-0 47mph pitch). With him being exclusively UTIL eligible in many leagues, it’s getting tough to stomach. How are we feeling about him moving forward? 

• Haha 1
3 hours ago, varock said:

.103 ISO and only 4 XBH in the month of May (one of them against a certain 3-0 47mph pitch). With him being exclusively UTIL eligible in many leagues, it’s getting tough to stomach. How are we feeling about him moving forward? 

Hopefully rebounds.  Can’t drop yet.  Catcher eligible DH.  Uou get everyday at bats at the Catcher  position. Not bad.