Jump to content
NBC Sports Edge Forums

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, coleporter said:

Hopefully rebounds.  Can’t drop yet.  Catcher eligible DH.  Uou get everyday at bats at the Catcher  position. Not bad. 

Agreed. But I would remove the word “yet” from that part where you say “Can’t drop yet” and simply change that statement to a concise two word declaration: that declaration being — “Can’t drop”......followed by a period immediately thereafter.

 I’m not sure which platform it is that Mercedes is catcher eligible (perhaps ESPN?), all I know is that it’s not CBS. Regardless, in whichever platform(s) Mercedes is C eligible, no need to speculate on much of anything with him.

Bottom line is if you have a catcher who’s in the lineup every day or nearly every day, with the hitting profile and general bat to ball skills and power stroke Mercedes has proven capable of in already in his brief 2 months time in the majors....you keep him rostered and you keep him in the lineup at catcher. Period. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

LMAO! this is like that episode where george quits and regrets it later so jerry suggests he just go back like nothing ever happened

Keep going, I'm almost there. 

This is a travesty. What an outrage! Tony LaRussa ruined him. That, and sliders. And breaking balls in general. And catching a pop fly or fielding a grounder. And running. But mostly TLR!

Posted Images

I suppose I get the desire to possibly drop if you're in a small 10-teamer or even 12-teamer....but the guy is still smashing the ball to a .344 BA, and quite honestly, until I see that BA drop below .270 BA, he's not a drop. He's hitting in a loaded lineup behind Tim Anderson, Eaton, Abreu, Moncada...And quite honestly, he doesn't strike out that much. He's got a pretty good eye for the type of player he is.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder if the party is over on this guy. He is still batting 330 plus he is still top 90 in yahoo so he may have a trade window. But his only home run in May came off a position player in a blowout win. While 330 sounds great he was batting 370 not long ago so it may be more in a plummet than a decline. Being Util only in yahoo is a real bummer. Trading him high is pretty much past but he still may be movable if people focus more on his April production.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

He has been pretty average in the past 30 days. .313 OBP, 2 HRs (1 off La Tortuga) and only Util eligible on Yahoo. 

I will be giving him a crack at the garbage Orioles staff in this 4 game series over the weekend. If he doesn't produce a business decision will have to be made.

Edited by collucho
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, CORTEz said:

I suppose I get the desire to possibly drop if you're in a small 10-teamer or even 12-teamer....but the guy is still smashing the ball to a .344 BA, and quite honestly, until I see that BA drop below .270 BA, he's not a drop. He's hitting in a loaded lineup behind Tim Anderson, Eaton, Abreu, Moncada...And quite honestly, he doesn't strike out that much. He's got a pretty good eye for the type of player he is.

I mean he's batting .250 in May with a .652 OPS.  If he's got catcher eligibility he's an absolute hold as I still think he'll be a top 5-10 catcher in BA leagues.  If you have a Realmuto or a stud C he's a great trade chip to fill needs for you to the person with the worst C in your league.

I'm curious though, from a production standpoint from this point on would you rather have him or Vaughn?  Let's assume you're just filling a UTIL spot so positions doesn't matter.  My answer is definitely Vaughn.  The peripherals seem to favor him and his results are ascending.  The only place I'd give Mercedes the edge is BA and he won't K as much if you're considering points leagues.  But to me Yermin has basically become Luis Arraez.

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

10 hours ago, collucho said:

He has been pretty average in the past 30 days. .313 OBP, 2 HRs (1 off La Tortuga) and only Util eligible on Yahoo. 

I will be giving him a crack at the garbage Orioles staff in this 4 game series over the weekend. If he doesn't produce a business decision will have to be made.

He’s off to a good start.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, B&F said:

We done or holding?

I dropped. No position eligibility and lack of homers with a sub .300 OBP over the past month made him a tough hold.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, collucho said:

I dropped. No position eligibility and lack of homers with a sub .300 OBP over the past month made him a tough hold.

Very close to dropping. The league figured him out. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

This is one of the few times a manager might take some of the blame. Didn't the slump start right around the time LTR had the stink about 3-0 HR in blowouts? Could be that Mercedes is just really sensitive and hasn't gotten over it.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Low and Away said:

This is one of the few times a manager might take some of the blame. Didn't the slump start right around the time LTR had the stink about 3-0 HR in blowouts? Could be that Mercedes is just really sensitive and hasn't gotten over it.

Absolutely not - if Mercedes somehow was that scarred from that game/situation that would be utterly ridiculous.

People need to remember he's a 28 y/o - it's highly probable he's just coming back down to his mean (some of the advanced stats very much are in alignment with this).

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, I think the Mercedes honeymoon is over. It was a fun ride, but I basically think he's down there with the Carson Kelly's now in terms of value. 

On a somewhat related note the fact that LaRussa has given 46 ABs to Jake Lamb (sub .200 average over the past two seasons) and 64 ABs to Billy Hamilton (.171 average over the past two seasons) is absolutely mind boggling. I think it's just a matter of time before his loyalty to Mercedes wanes his love to play generally awful players takes over. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Mercedes in leagues where he's catcher eligible:  "Still performing decently, plays just about every day, definitely one of the best free agent/waiver wire pickups of the year."

Mercedes in leagues where he's UTIL only:  "If he has any meaningful slump or adjustment period my hand will be hovering over the 'CUT HIS ARSE' button."

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Overlord said:

Mercedes in leagues where he's catcher eligible:  "Still performing decently, plays just about every day, definitely one of the best free agent/waiver wire pickups of the year."

Mercedes in leagues where he's UTIL only:  "If he has any meaningful slump or adjustment period my hand will be hovering over the 'CUT HIS ARSE' button."

 

Lol pretty much. I first brought up some red flags last week and mentioned that he was becoming particularly hard to roster with his UTIL eligibility in most leagues, to which I was quickly dismissed and reminded that he’s a no-brainer in the catcher slot. Um, ok. Where is he catcher eligible, anyway? Anyhow, I think that underscores how barren the catcher position usually is more than anything.

As for Yermin, I think he’s droppable in shallow-medium redrafts and a tenuous hold in dynasty and deeper leagues. Obviously he’s still a hold wherever he’s catcher-eligible. His stats are almost completely buoyed by his ridiculous and unforeseen April. He’s been an empty batting average for awhile and now even his average is dipping. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

His last hit was a big one-a walk off hit he absolutely had to have. He was showered on the field by his teammates after, and you could tell he was elated in the postgame. He said he was trying to be more selective at the plate and working with the hitting coach. Fun moment for him and should help his confidence going forward, you could see some visible frustration during the slump. Maturity is still an issue, but he's still got a really good eye and good raw hitting skills.

 https://www.soxmachine.com/2021/06/04/white-sox-9-tigers-8-yermin-mercedes-walk-off-single-thoroughly-unnecessary-sorely-needed/

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's been approximately 3 weeks since "3-0 gate". I filtered his stats over the last 21 days and....

.186/.266/.286

6 runs, 2 HR, 9 RBI

I'm not saying there's a correlation, because Mercedes pretty much came out of nowhere, but its gotta hurt when own manager approves of you getting thrown at.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, 2ndCitySox said:

It's been approximately 3 weeks since "3-0 gate". I filtered his stats over the last 21 days and....

.186/.266/.286

6 runs, 2 HR, 9 RBI

I'm not saying there's a correlation, because Mercedes pretty much came out of nowhere, but its gotta hurt when own manager approves of you getting thrown at.

And the 3 weeks (18 games) prior that incident looks like this
.267/.333/.367
5 Runs, 1  HR, 7 RBIs

Clearly he wasn't good prior the 3-0 gate either.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JCD said:

And the 3 weeks (18 games) prior that incident looks like this
.267/.333/.367
5 Runs, 1  HR, 7 RBIs

Clearly he wasn't good prior the 3-0 gate either.

Don't crush my narrative!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...