Jump to content
NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Yermin Mercedes 2021 Outlook


Recommended Posts

I think he's likely a drop in leagues where isn't a catcher. In leagues where he is a catcher, mine as well fill your black hole with Yermin.

For what it's worth, his Triple A numbers in 53 games in 2019 were great.

17 HR, 62 RBI, 24 BB, 42 K, .310 BA, .647 SLG, 1.033 OPS.

He's been fairly dreadful at the plate recently. But keep in mind, the whole league was suddenly aware of him in April. Pitchers adjusted, now Mercedes has the opportunity to adjust too. If that's a .250 hitter, who would hit 20 homers over the course of a full season, I'd be content with that as my catcher in deep leagues.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So Mercedes has come back to earth quite a bit, but he has show some signs of life over his last few games. Where would you rank him ROS in terms of the catcher position? What catchers are ahead of him?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

image.png.2e03e1b8fde705248480d74d0663b395.png

This^ is like schizophrenia/bi-polar (no offense to anyone) meets savant...

I am still holding in a non catcher league, but it is a deep 16 teamer. I still see decent+ things to be done by him. Lots of very poor pitching in the AL central that he will see plenty of, and warm weather in the Chi...

Edited by ST. STEVEN
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, jmcampbe11 said:

So Mercedes has come back to earth quite a bit, but he has show some signs of life over his last few games. Where would you rank him ROS in terms of the catcher position? What catchers are ahead of him?

Perez, posey, realmuto, Molina, Vazquez, Contreras ahead of him.

Would prefer Omar navraez.

Edited by ChrisChinMcCaffrey
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, jmcampbe11 said:

So Mercedes has come back to earth quite a bit, but he has show some signs of life over his last few games. Where would you rank him ROS in terms of the catcher position? What catchers are ahead of him?

Definitely behind Kind Falafel, Perez, and Realmuto.

Anyone else?  Eh... that playing every day as a DH is a huge advantage.  

Diamondhanders are going to reap big time rewards if spaceship Yermin takes off again for the moon. 

Edited by Overlord
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Overlord said:

Definitely behind Kind Falafel, Perez, and Realmuto.

Anyone else?  Eh... that playing every day as a DH is a huge advantage.

Diamondhanders are going to reap big time rewards if spaceship Yermin takes off again for the moon. 

It's really not if you don't produce. It's amazing how inefficient Mercedes has been will all those extra ABs. I think there's zero argument for himvover Realmuto, Perez and Conteras. After that the lines start to blur...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I wanted to post this in the "Unwritten Rules" thread, but it has been locked, so here it will go...

Since Mercedes broke one of the cardinal unwritten rules, his numbers are:

image.png.5b4345e1e7f959952f76fa4bb2966eda.png

I love it...  The Poet always gets even...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ChrisChinMcCaffrey said:

Check out his last 30 games. Add a decent catcher while you still can. He isn't the hitter he started the first few weeks of season.

this is why i love roto

i can thank him for his service and move on

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ChrisChinMcCaffrey said:

Check out his last 30 games. Add a decent catcher while you still can. He isn't the hitter he started the first few weeks of season.

Yeah, the writing seems to be on the wall. He had two nice games before striking out 5 times in the last two. And he's chasing pitches that just don't deserve being swung at.

I wanted to believe he'll return value, but if the Sox want Eloy at DH, and Jake Lamb/Andrew Vaughn see their roles expand, it seems highly improbable that Mercedes is fantasy relevant past July.

I let go for Narvaez.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, posty said:

I wanted to post this in the "Unwritten Rules" thread, but it has been locked, so here it will go...

Since Mercedes broke one of the cardinal unwritten rules, his numbers are:

image.png.5b4345e1e7f959952f76fa4bb2966eda.png

I love it...  The Poet always gets even...

I mean that .186 BABIP should be considered when looking at his stats. While I still owned him the amount of line drive outs he had was maddening.

I truly think he gets hot and turns it around but I'm not in any leagues where he's catcher eligible. He's still an asset in those leagues. But who knows? Tony Larussa might figure out how to read some statistics if his grandson shows him how to use an iPad. If that results in 3-5 starts a week instead of playing everyday we'll have to revisit the drawing board.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

What LaRussa did was a total d*** move (coming from a total d*** it shouldn't be a surprise), BUT if Mercedes is so mentally fragile that he let that destroy his career, I don't think he was destined to have a long and fruitful career anyway.

Mercedes turns out to be a nice, feel-good story for the first couple of months of 2021 and that seems to be the end of the story.

Edited by Wieties
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Wieties said:

What LaRussa did was a total d*** move (coming from a total d*** it shouldn't be a surprise), BUT if Mercedes is so mentally fragile that he let that destroy his career, I don't think he was destined to have a long and fruitful career anyway.

Mercedes turns out to be a nice, feel-good story for the first couple of months of 2021 and that seems to be the end of the story.

LaRussa should stick to managing his drinking problem rather than a baseball club.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...