NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Yermin Mercedes 2021 Outlook

I say this with compassion.   He might have a mental health issue.  

If not, then LaRussa really must have gotten in his head.

So what happens now?  Do the Cubs still own him or can he be signed by any club.  Because this retiring forever "indefinitely" seems like a way to escape Chicago.  I mean I'm sure any number of clubs would take a chance and sign him to a minor league contract but is he angling for a major league guarantee?

Well all the IG comments blame LaRussa. I think this guy had one hot month and didn't want to work hard when **** wasn't going his way. He had plenty of opportunity to hit but wasn't hitting. He can't play defense so his only redeeming quality as a player is his bat. What did you expect, bro? 

1 hour ago, Low and Away said:

Since his demotion to AAA he was hitting over .300 with 4HR for Charlotte. 

Strange

Yeah he's raking right now. 167 wRC+. Surely he's aware there will likely be a DH in the NL next year which will guarantee him another opportunity somewhere and potentially a boatload of cash? Feels like there has to be more to this story.

I read some of the Twitter comments (big mistake) from Jeff Passans tweet and so many people are criticizing La Russa. 

Yeah Tony screwed that situation up but if that really sent Yermin into a psychological death spiral, then maybe he really isn't ready for the majors. 

• Like 2

On 5/2/2021 at 1:17 PM, Richard Kimble said:

This seems minor, but it bears watching if he lands in LaRussa's doghouse. I was watching an at-bat earlier this year when the announcers relayed a story about Yermin's time in the Mexican leagues. By his own admission, Yermin was a little immature and a bit of a hot dog when he was younger. Evidently, he was so disliked by his own manager that the manager walked to the opposing clubhouse before a game, and asked if they wanted to HAVE him for NOTHING. Not even a bag of baseballs. Its crazy to think something so silly could happen at any level of professional baseball, but it illustrates that Yermin's style certainly rubs the Old School heads the wrong way. This little item doesn't surprise me at all. 

Just wanted to bring this back to the forefront, as we don't know what has happened behind the scenes. But when I heard this story mentioned during a broadcast, it didn't seem like this story was an isolated incident. Now he's "indefinitely retiring" (an oxymoron if I've ever heard it) and the Sox still couldn't get more than a bag of balls for him. He has no shot at playing time now that they are getting Eloy, Robert back, so if he's not dealt elsewhere in winter, or the Universal DH opens up a bigger market for his services, he'll be back playing in the Mexican leagues again.

Here locally it's incredible the amount of stupid.  People honestly blaming TLR for this happening.  INCREDIBLE!!!

1.  You have a 28 y/o rookie who had his first shot in the bigs this past season

2.  There's a reason he's a 28 y/o having his first shot - I'll leave that up to others to talk about but it's pretty obvious why that happens

3. Early in his major league career, he completely disobeys his manager's call - idiotic

4.  He's demoted due to his lack of hitting a baseball - end of story.  Over the previous 2 weeks before the Minnesota situation his "hot streak" to start the season was over & after that the tank continued.

5.  Lastly: He's a professional.  If THOSE comments hurt him that significantly (where a professional who has played the game for decades with the goal to a Major Leaguer quickly retires) that's a player you don't want on your roster anyways - can you imagine how he'd react with actual/real adversity that happens many times throughout a season?

Please folks - walk off the ledge.

Edited by IlliniGuy76
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I really wish I still lived in Chicago right now to hear some of these talk radio comments. Yermin was likeable, from a fan standpoint, but his performance fell off a cliff and he just doesn't have a role on the team. He's got no one to blame but himself, I'm sure. Maybe he can break out the Eloy and Andrew Vaughn voodoo dolls again. 

• Like 1

This is a travesty. What an outrage! Tony LaRussa ruined him. That, and sliders. And breaking balls in general. And catching a pop fly or fielding a grounder. And running. But mostly TLR!

• Haha 6

36 minutes ago, meh2 said:

This is a travesty. What an outrage! Tony LaRussa ruined him. That, and sliders. And breaking balls in general. And catching a pop fly or fielding a grounder. And running. But mostly TLR!

Really more fastballs than breakers - the league quickly figured out he couldn’t turn around mid-upper-level velo and started barraging him with high heat.

This is my take, knowing what I know about Mercedes story and having owned him this year and watched all the CWS games.

The Tony La Russa vs Mercedes dynamic has been chronicled, and I don't think it can be simply "written off" as Mercedes being a head case or La Russa being an idiotic manager.

Part of me wonders if one of the reasons why Mercedes made this decision was due to the fact that he hasn't been called back up.

Yasmani Grandal went on the IL (and he was hitting .188 BA on the season)....and Zach Collins hasn't exactly been tearing the cover off the ball either....hitting .216 BA....One has to wonder if Mercedes (who by large, along with Anderson and Abreu) held the team up for the better part of the first 1/4 of the season with all the injuries....got frustrated that with all of ongoing injuries, that he was not called up to help the team...A decision that could have very-well been made in part by Tony La Russa.

I could easily see this being a Mercedes seeing this as a "ok, that's how you're going to do me?" situation and him saying "f it, im outa here".

Definitely some maturity issues on the part of Mercedes, whether it's a "show of emotion" or his way of attempting to get the CWS to release him so he can play for a different team.

But in my eyes, either way, I think Tony La Russa had some part in him not being called up again...because again...why does a guy whose mashing in Triple-A suddenly decide "im quitting"? I don't buy the whole narrative of "La Russa broke him" and all that...but I can definitely buy the idea that La Russa could have very well openly decided that he wasn't going to call Mercedes back up, even with the slew of injuries that the CWS have faced all season.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, CORTEz said:

This is my take, knowing what I know about Mercedes story and having owned him this year and watched all the CWS games.

The Tony La Russa vs Mercedes dynamic has been chronicled, and I don't think it can be simply "written off" as Mercedes being a head case or La Russa being an idiotic manager.

Part of me wonders if one of the reasons why Mercedes made this decision was due to the fact that he hasn't been called back up.

Yasmani Grandal went on the IL (and he was hitting .188 BA on the season)....and Zach Collins hasn't exactly been tearing the cover off the ball either....hitting .216 BA....One has to wonder if Mercedes (who by large, along with Anderson and Abreu) held the team up for the better part of the first 1/4 of the season with all the injuries....got frustrated that with all of ongoing injuries, that he was not called up to help the team...A decision that could have very-well been made in part by Tony La Russa.

I could easily see this being a Mercedes seeing this as a "ok, that's how you're going to do me?" situation and him saying "f it, im outa here".

Definitely some maturity issues on the part of Mercedes, whether it's a "show of emotion" or his way of attempting to get the CWS to release him so he can play for a different team.

But in my eyes, either way, I think Tony La Russa had some part in him not being called up again...because again...why does a guy whose mashing in Triple-A suddenly decide "im quitting"? I don't buy the whole narrative of "La Russa broke him" and all that...but I can definitely buy the idea that La Russa could have very well openly decided that he wasn't going to call Mercedes back up, even with the slew of injuries that the CWS have faced all season.

The White Sox are doing just fine without him, so calling him up to "help the team" is a dumb thought if he actually thinks that...  They are not struggling without him...

51 minutes ago, CORTEz said:

Maybe TLR thought the team would be better with a backup catcher (Collins) on the team rather than another outfielder no matter what the catcher was hitting. Sounds like a reasonable decision to me as I don't think to many teams only carry one catcher during the season.

55 minutes ago, posty said:

The White Sox are doing just fine without him, so calling him up to "help the team" is a dumb thought if he actually thinks that...  They are not struggling without him...

I'm not saying they're struggling without him 🙄

Simply because "they are not struggling without him" doesn't mean that he can't help the team. That's like saying "well, they're not struggling, they shouldn't call Eloy back up when he's ready"....

I was merely saying that with Collins sucking all year, and Grandal (who sucked even more all year and is now injured), I could see potentially why Mercedes might've taken issue with not being called back up. It's just a thought. Not at all condoning the way he handled it (if that is the case), but I could see potentially why if his relationship with TLR was that bad. 

FWIW, Mercedes was pretty awesome for the entire season with the exception of a rough patch between May 28-June 6 and a 5-game stretch between June 14 - June 20th. Nothing else really explains why a guy who got sent down, and then started crushing the ball at Triple A, would suddenly decide to call it quits unless there's some kind of health concern that the public doesn't know about.

5 hours ago, IlliniGuy76 said:

Here locally it's incredible the amount of stupid.  People honestly blaming TLR for this happening.  INCREDIBLE!!!

1.  You have a 28 y/o rookie who had his first shot in the bigs this past season

2.  There's a reason he's a 28 y/o having his first shot - I'll leave that up to others to talk about but it's pretty obvious why that happens

3. Early in his major league career, he completely disobeys his manager's call - idiotic

4.  He's demoted due to his lack of hitting a baseball - end of story.  Over the previous 2 weeks before the Minnesota situation his "hot streak" to start the season was over & after that the tank continued.

5.  Lastly: He's a professional.  If THOSE comments hurt him that significantly (where a professional who has played the game for decades with the goal to a Major Leaguer quickly retires) that's a player you don't want on your roster anyways - can you imagine how he'd react with actual/real adversity that happens many times throughout a season?

Please folks - walk off the ledge.

Exactly right.