NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Yermin Mercedes 2021 Outlook

2 hours ago, CORTEz said:

This is my take, knowing what I know about Mercedes story and having owned him this year and watched all the CWS games.

The Tony La Russa vs Mercedes dynamic has been chronicled, and I don't think it can be simply "written off" as Mercedes being a head case or La Russa being an idiotic manager.

Part of me wonders if one of the reasons why Mercedes made this decision was due to the fact that he hasn't been called back up.

Yasmani Grandal went on the IL (and he was hitting .188 BA on the season)....and Zach Collins hasn't exactly been tearing the cover off the ball either....hitting .216 BA....One has to wonder if Mercedes (who by large, along with Anderson and Abreu) held the team up for the better part of the first 1/4 of the season with all the injuries....got frustrated that with all of ongoing injuries, that he was not called up to help the team...A decision that could have very-well been made in part by Tony La Russa.

I could easily see this being a Mercedes seeing this as a "ok, that's how you're going to do me?" situation and him saying "f it, im outa here".

Definitely some maturity issues on the part of Mercedes, whether it's a "show of emotion" or his way of attempting to get the CWS to release him so he can play for a different team.

But in my eyes, either way, I think Tony La Russa had some part in him not being called up again...because again...why does a guy whose mashing in Triple-A suddenly decide "im quitting"? I don't buy the whole narrative of "La Russa broke him" and all that...but I can definitely buy the idea that La Russa could have very well openly decided that he wasn't going to call Mercedes back up, even with the slew of injuries that the CWS have faced all season.

His lack of a position I think hurt him a lot.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CORTEz said:

This is my take, knowing what I know about Mercedes story and having owned him this year and watched all the CWS games.

The Tony La Russa vs Mercedes dynamic has been chronicled, and I don't think it can be simply "written off" as Mercedes being a head case or La Russa being an idiotic manager.

Part of me wonders if one of the reasons why Mercedes made this decision was due to the fact that he hasn't been called back up.

Yasmani Grandal went on the IL (and he was hitting .188 BA on the season)....and Zach Collins hasn't exactly been tearing the cover off the ball either....hitting .216 BA....One has to wonder if Mercedes (who by large, along with Anderson and Abreu) held the team up for the better part of the first 1/4 of the season with all the injuries....got frustrated that with all of ongoing injuries, that he was not called up to help the team...A decision that could have very-well been made in part by Tony La Russa.

I could easily see this being a Mercedes seeing this as a "ok, that's how you're going to do me?" situation and him saying "f it, im outa here".

Definitely some maturity issues on the part of Mercedes, whether it's a "show of emotion" or his way of attempting to get the CWS to release him so he can play for a different team.

But in my eyes, either way, I think Tony La Russa had some part in him not being called up again...because again...why does a guy whose mashing in Triple-A suddenly decide "im quitting"? I don't buy the whole narrative of "La Russa broke him" and all that...but I can definitely buy the idea that La Russa could have very well openly decided that he wasn't going to call Mercedes back up, even with the slew of injuries that the CWS have faced all season.

1.  The Manager has little to no say on who personnel calls are up from AAA etc.  If a manager is openly advocating for his GM to not call up a player, they'd have a much larger conversation on why that player is even in the organization.  Note:  Both TLR & Mercedes have said they have a great relationship/TLR was in fact in conversation with him last night.

2.  I saw your other post where you were splitting time frames.  In May & June in 158 at-bats he hit .196 with 2 homers and 21 RBI with ah OPS of ~.550; that's atrocious.

3.  On the above note - he's a 28 y/o rookie.  He's a "journeyman" ballplayer who had a ridiculous short stretch of games where he tattooed the ball.  He played back to what he actually is:  A fringe MLB/AAA hitter.

Edited by IlliniGuy76

A lot of angry people in this thread, and a lot of trigger words being thrown around haha. Words like "dumb, atrocious, ridiculous etc..."

In my experience, usually when people start getting upset in forums about a player, it means they've been burned by them 😂

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, CORTEz said:

A lot of angry people in this thread, and a lot of trigger words being thrown around haha. Words like "dumb, atrocious, ridiculous etc..."

In my experience, usually when people start getting upset in forums about a player, it means they've been burned by them 😂

1.  I haven't gotten burned by Mercedes - certainly didn't draft him & didn't deem his first few weeks when he was hot as worthy to pick him up knowing what would more then likely happen long-term

2.  I used the word atrocious AND ridiculous!  Because it fits very nicely with describing the May & June he had AND the length of games he was destroying the ball was ridiculously short.

Edited by IlliniGuy76
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, CORTEz said:

Or need to get a life.

2 hours ago, IlliniGuy76 said:

1.  I haven't gotten burned by Mercedes - certainly didn't draft him & didn't deem his first few weeks when he was hot as worthy to pick him up knowing what would more then likely happen long-term

2.  I used the word atrocious AND ridiculous!  Because it fits very nicely with describing the May & June he had AND the length of games he was destroying the ball was ridiculously short.

Yikes, we have a Tony LaRussa fan. 
He was just a waiver pickup, we had two decent months. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, shakestreet said:

Yikes, we have a Tony LaRussa fan. 
He was just a waiver pickup, we had two decent months. 

1.  Not a TLR fan - and that's kinda the issue with this whole argument;  you have to be a TLR fan apparently to hold the viewpoint (based on facts) that I do.  FYI - TLR has the Sox with the third best record in the sport with huge injuries to key players throughout their season.

2.  You had one single month - his month of May & June were atrocious (he had a .221 BA in May with 2 homers and 14 RBI)

Edited by IlliniGuy76