NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Rafael Devers 2021 Outlook

19 minutes ago, FootballFan101 said:

Aside from one season (2019), Devers has been a very mediocre fantasy player

Not sure how useful that statement is. Devers was a 21 year old in 2018 and 2020 was a fraction of a season due to COVID. It's not like he has many years of sucking. Even in 2020, Devers hit .181/.241/.325 through 20 games and then .301/.345/.522 over the latter two thirds of the season. It's anyone's guess which would have been the "true" Devers if 2020 had more games.

But yes, he is a bad fielder. That likely isn't going to change.

Edited by Jericho
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, this guy right here said:

Glove is fine. He can pick it.  Arm is fine. Just very inaccurate.

Every April all the talk is about his glove and then it disappears because he's decent, not great with the glove.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FootballFan101 said:

Aside from one season (2019), Devers has been a very mediocre fantasy player

You mean his only full season? The dude is 24 years old don't forget. 

2 hours ago, AdamPA1006 said:

Trash.

We're 4 games into the season... patience my friend. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, MSkibisky said:

You mean his only full season? The dude is 24 years old don't forget. 

We're 4 games into the season... patience my friend. 

I love this time of the year when the sky is falling and we haven’t even played a full week yet!

• Like 2

As a Sox fan who has Devers as a keeper I can honestly say he has looked like hot garbage there has been zero silver lining so far his swings are pathetic he looks like he forgot to play baseball in the offseason.

• Haha 1

Good again? 😉

Up to .257/.366/.686 as of this second. So not really struggling

On 4/6/2021 at 8:04 AM, this guy right here said:

Glove is fine. He can pick it.  Arm is fine. Just very inaccurate.

As I said, bad fielder. Being bad at half the job is still bad.

12 minutes ago, Jericho said:

Good again? 😉

Up to .257/.366/.686 as of this second. So not really struggling

As I said, bad fielder. Being bad at half the job is still bad.

Not really.  Five homers already does not make him bad.  Makes him elite.  Also he makes as many spectacular plays as he boots easy ones.  And that includes his throws.  You can certainly live with his glove given what he does with his bat if he never improves further but he is the hardest worker on the team and really wants to get better with his glove.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

4 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Not really.  Five homers already does not make him bad.  Makes him elite.  Also he makes as many spectacular plays as he boots easy ones.  And that includes his throws.  You can certainly live with his glove given what he does with his bat if he never improves further but he is the hardest worker on the team and really wants to get better with his glove.

I mean he's a bad fielder, not a bad player. He certainly can hit. My point was to the poster claiming he can "pick it", but is bad at throws. But that's still a bad fielder if he's not getting outs. I think he eventually moves off the position, but he's young enough to make strides and the bat plays anywhere regardless.

• 2 months later...

Absolute STUD. You know the guy is a f*cking beast when he's a top ten bat in the league and his thread gets absolutely no love. Opposing pitchers know the stats. He is batting .459 against changeups. He is absolutely wrecking offspeed pitches to begin the season so they are giving him 0-2 fastballs and he has been depositing them 450 feet away like we saw yesterday off Gerrit Cole's bum a**. Let's f*cking go baby. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, collucho said:

Absolute STUD. You know the guy is a f*cking beast when he's a top ten bat in the league and his thread gets absolutely no love. Opposing pitchers know the stats. He is batting .459 against changeups. He is absolutely wrecking offspeed pitches to begin the season so they are giving him 0-2 fastballs and he has been depositing them 450 feet away like we saw yesterday off Gerrit Cole's bum a**. Let's f*cking go baby. 

Almost two months since last post. Top 5 in RBIs. Top ten hitter.

• Like 2