NBC Sports Edge Forums

Is this the end of fantasy basketball? Injuries, COVID, Load Management

With all these injuries and high profiled players sitting out for rest (load managing), is playing fantasy basketball even worth it anymore? There's players that are kinda banged up but instead of playing through it they just sit down. Then you have players that are just resting just because they want to. It's been a frustrating year because alot of NBA players are not taking the regular season very serious. Thoughts?

Edited by EsTiLO
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No. Play Rotisserie format.

No

Tbh, I am enjoying the chaos.  Every manager has to deal with it. I like that this season, the top picks were not set in stone, and guys like KD and Kawhi mucked it up. Even Harden was not clearl

Posted Images

56 minutes ago, rabaak said:

Don't see how that helps anything. Been there, done that, never again.

Are you serious? Roto is perfect for avoiding this crap. You get 82 games at each position so if a guy gets load managed you can plug someone else in to fill those games.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, markdash said:

Are you serious? Roto is perfect for avoiding this crap. You get 82 games at each position so if a guy gets load managed you can plug someone else in to fill those games.

If you have an uninjured player on your roster to plug in with.  That has been what the problem is. Right now I'm my seven players against my opponents 10 for the week.

Just now, rabaak said:

If you have an uninjured player on your roster to plug in with.  That has been what the problem is. Right now I'm my seven players against my opponents 10 for the week.

That's not roto...

• Like 1

Tbh, I am enjoying the chaos. 

Every manager has to deal with it. I like that this season, the top picks were not set in stone, and guys like KD and Kawhi mucked it up. Even Harden was not clearly #1.

Covid added chaos. 

Chaos is a ladder.

• Like 5

I have to say, I like chasing lightning in a bottle. This season, it's been Keldon, Maledon and others early, then Poeltl, White, Nance, Bogdan, and now Moses, KPJ, and more.

Hell, tonight it might be RJ Hampton.

There's always a guy. That's what I love about this whole thing.

• Like 4

all these struggles and I'm still on top, really shows the more you play this game the better you get. My advice to amateurs is don't get too attached to your players if there's an opportunity to jump on something that will be better ROS do it. GL but I'm going into the playoffs #1 seed and we'll see what happens wish me luck got a lot of money on the line!

9 hours ago, markdash said:

That's not roto...

True.

And the ability to mix and match players to the 82 game limit sounds good in theory.

But when you lose A.Davis for months and replace him with T.Prince or Finney-Smith because the rest of the PF are either in covid protocol, injured on on another roster, are they going to power your team to winning the league??

I don't like the odds.

9 hours ago, markdash said:

Agreed.  Yahoo's default roto setting is the perfect game.  Daily league with 82 game limit for each position played, so when guys are load-managed it can be used as part of your strategy to stay under the games limit. 

Weekly leagues are the worst and I will never play them again.  Nothing worse than a guy being "injured" right after the lineups lock and you are forced to lose games.  H2H is also a format I will never play again, load-management has killed it and it has just turned into a streaming contest.

• Like 3

100% yes!

The Idea behind and the principles/concept of the game are great, but it's just not meant for todays league. And it get's worse and worse with each year. I can deal with covid (everybody knew about it this season) and i can deal with injuries, but the majority of the players today search for reasons NOT to play. It's not even about competition anymore. You have guys finish the game and then are out for weeks because of "soreness" or "tightness"

it's just not fun anymore (at least for me).

If fatansy basketball in the past was like poker.. yeah there is luck involved but it was still a skills game.. right now it's more like roulette.

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, G.O.B. said:

100% yes!

The Idea behind and the principles/concept of the game are great, but it's just not meant for todays league. And it get's worse and worse with each year. I can deal with covid (everybody knew about it this season) and i can deal with injuries, but the majority of the players today search for reasons NOT to play. It's not even about competition anymore. You have guys finish the game and then are out for weeks because of "soreness" or "tightness"

it's just not fun anymore (at least for me).

If fatansy basketball in the past was like poker.. yeah there is luck involved but it was still a skills game.. right now it's more like roulette.

i have the same thought,nowadays the team and the player doesn't care about the regular season.They have many excuse to rest or some minor injury lead them out a period of time, It's just not fun and interesting anymore.I don't know I'll play fantasy anymore

• Like 1

I agree.  The NBA is a horrible product.  I call it a Development League for the Top 5 teams.  When you become good enough, you leave your sucky team and go join a team with a chance to win.  These guys are dogs, making bazillions and sitting in a chair like us watching the games from the sidelines instead of playing in them.  What's the motivation to play when you are playing the Bulls, Wizards, Raptors, Magic, Cavs, Pistons, Rockets, Timberwolves?  I don't see them doing this in Hockey or Baseball or Football.  Let's be honest, it's fun to gamble and watch the athleticism and the stud players do their thing, but the NBA is a joke in terms of parity and watchability.  See you in June KD, rest up big boy and enjoy your paid vacation. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

• Like 1