NBC Sports Edge Forums

Community Mock NFL Draft 2021

Let's have some fun. Many of us are looking forward to the draft, so let's do a mock draft. 

The rules are: 
- you can only draft 1 player for one team
- you have to explain why this position and why this player, from the position of the team
- no trading (although you can indicate you think it would be better to trade up or down).

Below the first 10 positions; I take the first one.

1    Jacksonville (Boudewijn): I think it's widely expected that JAX is going to draft a QB, and I would be highly surprised if they don't take Trevor Lawrence. That's not to say there is no other option; they also really need O-line help, and even if they go for QB there are more options, but I don't see them gettng too creative here.
2    NY Jets
3      SF  (from Houston)
4    Atlanta
5    Cincinnati
6      MIA  (from Philadelphia)
7    Detroit
8    Carolina
9    Denver
10    Dallas

• Like 2
  • Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Eh, the "only one" rule was already broken, so who cares. We'll just make it a circlej... I mean a pool Also inviting @BrianM @Flyman75 @Sack Exchange @pastorofmuppets2 @Deuce1042 @trilly @markrc

So far it's been an absolute blast, more fun than the actual draft. I propose to not just keep this going, but send it to some of the teams so they know what to pick

65    Jacksonville:      66    NY Jets:     mocha4313 67    Houston:      68    Atlanta:      69    Cincinnati:     smeeze 70    Philadelphia:      71    Denver:      72    Detroit:     

Posted Images

I'll take the Rams. See you in 2024!

Kidding - I'll take the Jets:

1    Jacksonville (Boudewijn): I think it's widely expected that JAX is going to draft a QB, and I would be highly surprised if they don't take Trevor Lawrence. That's not to say there is no other option; they also really need O-line help, and even if they go for QB there are more options, but I don't see them gettng too creative here.
2    NY Jets (smeeze): Trading Sam Darnold to Carolina seals the deal for NYJ and it will be another QB off the board. I'm not sure I'd have him #2 overall personally, but the J-E-T-S JETS JETS JETS have pretty much telegraphed that their new franchise QB will be Zach Wilson from BYU.
4    Atlanta
5    Cincinnati
7    Detroit
8    Carolina
9    Denver
10    Dallas

• Like 2
On 4/5/2021 at 3:55 AM, Boudewijn said:

Let's have some fun. Many of us are looking forward to the draft, so let's do a mock draft. 

The rules are: 
- you have to explain why this position and why this player, from the position of the team
- no trading (although you can indicate you think it would be better to trade up or down).

Below the first 10 positions; I take the first one.

1    Jacksonville (Boudewijn): I think it's widely expected that JAX is going to draft a QB, and I would be highly surprised if they don't take Trevor Lawrence. That's not to say there is no other option; they also really need O-line help, and even if they go for QB there are more options, but I don't see them gettng too creative here.
2    NY Jets
4    Atlanta
5    Cincinnati
7    Detroit
8    Carolina
9    Denver
10    Dallas

If we do the entire first round I would like to take Browns and/or Chargers if no one else has claimed.  Otherwise I'll happily take any team in the top 10 that's not claimed if no one else does.

Edited by jumper
5 minutes ago, jumper said:

If we do the entire first round I would like to take Browns and/or Chargers if no one else has claimed.  Otherwise I'll happily take any team in the top 10 that's not claimed if no one else does.

I'd say why not SF @ 3 ;)

4 minutes ago, Boudewijn said:

I'd say why not SF @ 3 ;)

Got it. 

With the 1.03 pick of the 2021 NFL Draft, the 49ers select Justin Fields, QB. Ohio State. 

Yeah I know, every OSU quarterback pretty much forever has sucked in the NFL.  That being said, the 'small school guy with potential but limited starts' picks have proven even worse.  Give Fields a year to sit behind JimmyG, and let Trey Lance become Trubisky 2.0 on someone else's team.  

Personally if I were the Niners' GM, I would have never given up the draft capital they did to get to 1.03 to pick between the 3rd choice QB set, but what's done is done.  Those rook contracts for Bosa and everyone else are going to need to be dealt with before the 1.03 pick is capable of taking the team further than Jimmy G.  Shoulda stuck with 1.12 and the draft picks and seen if Lance or someone else fell to them.

• Like 5

I'll go Atlanta

Disclaimer: I would 100% look to trade back with Denver, New England or even WFT/Bears here

I think this team can be a wild card next year with a good draft to add a corner, safety RB, iOL and edge help (or even some of these things) with an even higher ceiling if they somehow hit on all

That said if they stay at 4 there is absolutely no way they can take a non QB IMO. The value would be awful turning down the hauls offered by lower teams to move up just to take a TE or OT (which aren't even major positions of need)

So with the 4th pick of the 1st round of the 2021 NFL Draft the Atlanta Falcons--not having traded back--select Trey Lance, QB, North Dakota State (which also works for the rest of the draft because I am pretty certain a QB is going 4th overall regardless of which team is the one taking him)

Guy is smart with a great work ethic, rocket arm (even stronger than Fields' and Wilson's IMO), RB-like elusiveness and is the perfect guy to carry the clipboard for a year before stepping into an Arthur Smith offense with weapons and built around play action passing like the concepts he ran at North Dakota State

• Like 3

Good stuff guys. So Lawrence, Wilson, Fields and Lance off the board, the next up are:
5    Cincinnati
7    Detroit
8    Carolina
9    Denver
10    Dallas
11    NY Giants
12      PHI  (from San Francisco)
13    LA Chargers
14    Minnesota
15    New England

With the 5th overall pick in the 2021 NFL draft, the Cincinnati Bengals select....

Penei Sewell, OT, Oregon.

This is the pick they SHOULD make. I think there might actually be a better chance they take Chase, in reality. 

• Like 3

I'll still look to trade down to acquire more 1st Round Picks in the 2022 and 2023 drafts (as insurance policy for Tua turning out to be a bust. The team could then leverage all the 1st round picks to move up the get a top QB prospect or win the Watson/Wilson sweepstakes)

Anyway, with the 6th overall pick in the 2021 NFL draft, the Miami Dolphins select Kyle Pitts.

Toss up between Pitts and Chase here.

If the fins really want to get a WR they have a chance of getting Waddle with the 18th pick. The dropoff wouldn't be that significant from Chase to Waddle. Also, there would be the built-in chemistry between Waddle and Tua.

I have them taking Pitts because he's a generational talent at the position that can match or exceed Kelce and Gronk's impact.

• Like 5

1    Jacksonville: Trevor Lawrence, QB, Clemson (Boudewijn)
2    NY Jets: Zack Wilson, QB, BYU (smeeze)
3      SF  (from Houston): Justin Fields, QB, Ohio State (jumper)
4    Atlanta: Trey Lance, QB, ND State (mocha4313)
5    Cincinnati: Penei Sewell, OT, Oregon (ajs723)
6      MIA  (from Philadelphia): Kyle Pitts, TE, Florida (fachowski)
7    Detroit
8    Carolina
9    Denver
10    Dallas
11    NY Giants
13    LA Chargers
14    Minnesota
15    New England
16    Arizona
17    Las Vegas
18    Miami
19    Washington
20    Chicago

Who wants to step up and do the thankless task of pretending to be Detroit? :)

• Like 1

With the best WR of the class still on the board and a WR room as empty as their trophy cabinet, the decision should be Chase.

(Could also be Smith, but Chase is ther better prospect/player imho)

• Like 3

(just a reminder that defensive players are not off-limits ;) )

All choices make sense, but all in all 7 offensive players in a row would be quite unusual in the modern NFL.

• Haha 1
32 minutes ago, Boudewijn said:

(just a reminder that defensive players are not off-limits ;) )

All choices make sense, but all in all 7 offensive players in a row would be quite unusual in the modern NFL.

Well, I've heard from some analysts that the first chance a team will go with a defensive player is Dallas (picking either Surtain, Horn or Paye)

32 minutes ago, Boudewijn said:

quite unusual in the modern NFL.

1. is it though?

2. This class seems very offense heavy (and that on top of a lot of good QB prospects). The best defensive player (imo) are the first CBs and I think 2 or 3 will go in the top 15. Currently -besides QB (which are a special situation) - all playerst taken are the the top of the board. I'm pretty sure that Dallas will take an CB, but till then I could see only offense picks.

(I know we have the same discussion in PMs, but maybe somebody wants to join)

• Like 1

Anyway, let's have a rule 4 (because I was the one to break it): 

- limited discussions. Whatever the previous person selected is final, let's not go off-topic too much.

1    Jacksonville: Trevor Lawrence, QB, Clemson (Boudewijn)
2    NY Jets: Zack Wilson, QB, BYU (smeeze)
3      SF  (from Houston): Justin Fields, QB, Ohio State (jumper)
4    Atlanta: Trey Lance, QB, ND State (mocha4313)
5    Cincinnati: Penei Sewell, OT, Oregon (ajs723)
6      MIA  (from Philadelphia): Kyle Pitts, TE, Florida (fachowski)
7    Detroit: Ja'Marr Chase, WR, LSU (thebadferret)
8    Carolina
9    Denver
10    Dallas
11    NY Giants
13    LA Chargers
14    Minnesota
15    New England
16    Arizona
17    Las Vegas
18    Miami
19    Washington
20    Chicago

• Like 1

I'm looking forward to Carolina's pick given their recent trade for Darnold.  They really could go for any position IRL and it wouldn't shock me that much.

• Like 1

7    Detroit: Ja'Marr Chase, WR, LSU (thebadferret)
8    Carolina: Devonta Smith, WR Alabama - The Panthers need help on defense badly and could really use the upgrade that Parsons, Horn, or Surtain would give them, but Smith is the best player on the board at this point and it's not even particularly close - he's a hall-of-fame caliber talent. Carolina lost Samuel and Anderson is only signed through this year. Moore and Smith should be the combo of the future in Carolina. 
9    Denver
10    Dallas
11    NY Giants
13    LA Chargers
14    Minnesota
15    New England
16    Arizona
17    Las Vegas
18    Miami
19    Washington
20    Chicago

• Like 4

don't mind if I do... let's see if I can manifest this in real life. leggo

8    Carolina: Devonta Smith, WR Alabama
9    Denver: Micah Parsons -- new GM George Paton stays put, and Parsons fall to Denver at 9, allowing to fill a gaping hole at middle linebacker, and shore up a newly revamped defense where the arrow is pointing straight up. Despite some QB options still on the board, Lock gets one more opportunity to crash and burn, and the Broncos finally have a presence at MLB that has been sorely missing since Brandon Marshall and Danny Trevathan departed (Alexander Johnson is okay, but still)
10    Dallas
11    NY Giants
13    LA Chargers
14    Minnesota
15    New England
16    Arizona
17    Las Vegas
18    Miami
19    Washington
20    Chicago

• Like 5

I'll take the Cowboys

The Cowboys had one of the most historically bad defenses in 2020 so I think this would be an easy call at pick 10. Although with Slater still on the board they could groom someone to take over Smith who's battled injuries the past few years I still think they will go with defense.

Patrick Surtain ll CB Alabama

Patrick Surtain II - Football - University of Alabama Athletics

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
59 minutes ago, lolcopter said:

don't mind if I do... let's see if I can manifest this in real life. leggo

8    Carolina: Devonta Smith, WR Alabama
9    Denver: Micah Parsons -- new GM George Paton stays put, and Parsons fall to Denver at 9, allowing to fill a gaping hole at middle linebacker, and shore up a newly revamped defense where the arrow is pointing straight up. Despite some QB options still on the board, Lock gets one more opportunity to crash and burn, and the Broncos finally have a presence at MLB that has been sorely missing since Brandon Marshall and Danny Trevathan departed (Alexander Johnson is okay, but still)
10    Dallas
11    NY Giants
13    LA Chargers
14    Minnesota
15    New England
16    Arizona
17    Las Vegas
18    Miami
19    Washington
20    Chicago

Love this pick and Denver would be smart to make it.  Parsons seems like the blue chip prospect that always falls to the Steelers or Ravens late and I'm glad in this mock at least he got picked up earlier. 

• Like 2