Jump to content
NBC Sports Edge Forums

Recommended Posts

Carolina has to be picking best available WR or Pitts at 8 now, right?  

Wanted to see him land in Denver, I'd have liked his chances a lot more there. 

Edited by colorado2013
Link to post
Share on other sites

I would think they'll add weapons.  If you want to turn him into a high reward bargain, you gotta overstock the offense.  There are plenty of pass catchers here that it isn't a reach to take one at 8 overall.   

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The emancipation of Sam Darnald!! It should be interesting to see if another Gase QB can succeed outside his "system".

The trade seems like a  win for both teams but fantasy wise the "needle" doesn't move much for me. Not draftable in 1QB leagues.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NInsko said:

Not draftable in 1QB leagues.

Depends how deep your bench is. He's a very interesting flier because of the Panthers weapons and the post-Gase factor. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, sSektor said:

Darnold might actually look pretty good with Moore, Robby, and CMC as a checkdown option.

If Pitts is there at 8, he probably wouldn't be a bad pick at all. I'm curious to see what Carolina will do with their offense. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Does Darnold check down a lot?  That's all I'm really interested in as a CMC owner.

He had the worst QBR in the league last year.  Not much to see here, I think.

Jets made the right decision by moving on and then they can take another QB on a rookie deal.  I think the Panthers way overpaid here.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, CooL said:

Does Darnold check down a lot?  That's all I'm really interested in as a CMC owner.

He had the worst QBR in the league last year.  Not much to see here, I think.

Jets made the right decision by moving on and then they can take another QB on a rookie deal.  I think the Panthers way overpaid here.

I can't imagine the Panthers having an offense that doesn't pepper CMC with targets. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, sSektor said:

Depends how deep your bench is. He's a very interesting flier because of the Panthers weapons and the post-Gase factor. 

I get that but he's still QB20+. I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do.

Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, CooL said:

He had the worst QBR in the league last year

I can't imagine why getting to throw to the likes of Breshad Perriman, Braxton Berrios and Chris Hogan! Not to mention handing the ball off to the ghost of Frank Gore.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, colorado2013 said:

Carolina has to be picking best available WR or Pitts at 8 now, right?  

Wanted to see him land in Denver, I'd have liked his chances a lot more there. 

OT more likely

Need someone on the opposite side from Moton

If Bengals go Chase, Dolphins Pitts, Lions Waddle or Smith (or trade down with the Pats trying to get whichever of Mac/Fields/Lance is left), then I think they take Sewell

Probably Slater if one of teams takes Sewell

Probably add a WR in the 2nd/3rd round though--still a very formidable supporting cast

Link to post
Share on other sites

If they go Sewell or Slater with their first pick. They can take Bateman or Marshall with their second pick

If they go Chase, Smith or Pitts with their first round pick. They can take Eichenberg, Cosmi or Jenkins with their second pick.

The Panthers offense has a lot of fantasy potential if they go that route.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, hankmurphy said:

Carolina could still end up drafting Trey Lance or Mac Jones too. This move probably doesn’t change much as far as what CAR does in the draft.

Not impossible but considering they gave up a decent amount of draft capital I would be surprised. I think they throw Darnold out there and see what happens.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, colorado2013 said:

If memory serves, when Flacco came in and replaced Darnold he was an actual improvement. Is that correct?

Eh... yes and no.

image.png.f54238a83f82200f64f248a7ba8c91de.png

As you can see, when Flacco replaced him in games 5/6, that was more or less the same; then Darnold came back for 2 games and suxx0red monkey balls, then Flacco took over and did really well; and then when Darnold came back he was again similar. The crucial bit is that Darnold in game 7/8 came back from a separated shoulder, and in game 7 he was absolutely destroyed by the Buffalo D-line: 6 sacks for 29 yds loss, a fumble and 2 INT. Especially towards the end of the game you can see he's completely lost.

Not making excuses for the guy; not a Jets fan, not a Darnold owner, just trying to be a bit objective.

Edited by Boudewijn
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/7/2021 at 6:04 PM, Boudewijn said:

Eh... yes and no.

image.png.f54238a83f82200f64f248a7ba8c91de.png

As you can see, when Flacco replaced him in games 5/6, that was more or less the same; then Darnold came back for 2 games and suxx0red monkey balls, then Flacco took over and did really well; and then when Darnold came back he was again similar. The crucial bit is that Darnold in game 7/8 came back from a separated shoulder, and in game 7 he was absolutely destroyed by the Buffalo D-line: 6 sacks for 29 yds loss, a fumble and 2 INT. Especially towards the end of the game you can see he's completely lost.

Not making excuses for the guy; not a Jets fan, not a Darnold owner, just trying to be a bit objective.

I scrolled kind of fast and skipped over the username but when I see the chart...I didn’t even need to look. 
 

Flacco vs. Darnold chart huh. You are something else buddy. 

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, ginocan said:

I scrolled kind of fast and skipped over the username but when I see the chart...I didn’t even need to look. 
 

Flacco vs. Darnold chart huh. You are something else buddy. 

these are just some of the charts @Boudewijn shows to us.

you should see the charts he has hanging on his walls.

source.gif

  • Haha 6
Link to post
Share on other sites

Ex-Jets C Ryan Kalil believes new Panthers QB Sam Darnold did not have enough freedom playing under ex-Jets coach Adam Gase. 

Kalil, who is now retired, was one of Darnold's centers in 2019. “It was a system that didn’t allow a lot of individual freedom. It was very, ‘You do it this way and that’s it,’” Kalil said. “A lot of the scheme was pre-determined (plays) based on what they thought they were seeing from the sideline. It didn’t give Sam a lot of room to grow, in my opinion, to make decisions on the fly. ... It wasn’t a system that allowed him to evolve and make decisions on his own. ... And I think that’s why ultimately the Jets made some (coaching) changes, too.” It's a charitable reading of Darnold's struggles in New York, as Gase was not the coach for Darnold's rough rookie year in 2018. Darnold showed modest improvement under Gase in 2019 before going off the rails in 2020. Something that is not up for debate is that Panthers OC Joe Brady will be by far the best coach to ever call plays for Darnold. The quarterback's supporting cast is also better than any he had in the Big Apple. 2021 is now or never for the former No. 3 overall pick.

Source: The Athletic
Apr 15, 2021, 5:59 PM ET
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...