NBC Sports Edge Forums

Wow 3 HRs in 2 days, the only thing stopping this guy are road games to the NL.  Imagine if he started all games!

This guy really needs a thread, out of respect if nothing else.

• Like 2

Doesn't Cruz have something like 400 homers after turning 30?  Probably cause he doesn't look like he skips leg day, or chest day, or shoulder day, or arm day, or any days in the gym.

His ability to enhance his performance year after year, at a stage of life when most guys are long out of the league, is truly amazing.  

The only offensive player on every single one of my teams this year. Always undervalued. Each and every year.

bUt He OnLy CaN pLaY uTiL iN mY lInEuP!!!!! 11!

You have to put someone in said UTIL slot, no? ✌️

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

Imagine not drafting one of the three best hitters in baseball because he's old or because you don't want to displace a backup outfielder in your UTIL spot.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Hanghow said:

Imagine not drafting one of the three best hitters in baseball because he's old or because you don't want to displace a backup outfielder in your UTIL spot.

i nEeD dA fLeXiBiLiTy 

• 1 month later...
On 4/21/2021 at 8:34 PM, Hanghow said:

I've owned Cruz in at least one of my leagues for 8 straight years going back to 2014.  In each of the past 7 years he's returned a profit for me, but I went back to the well one too many times this year.  Currently ranked well outside the top 100 and it looks like Father Time has finally caught up to him.

Posted (edited)

He was raking to start the year. Just in a slump right now along with most of the Twins lineup. That said I think I'll try and resist the urge to draft him next year

Edited by street sharks

Are old players allowed to slump? He had a bad month. He had an awesome April. Was there something significant about May 1 that finally put him over the hill?

• Haha 1

Why on Earth would he steal a base? Did he have a bet with someone in the dugout? Of course he's been out of the lineup with a sore knee since then. Stay in your lane, Nelson, let Nick Gordon steal your bases for you next time. Please please don't go on IL.

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...
1 minute ago, swingbatter said:

Looks like he’s going to the Rays.  Given Cash’s penchant to platoon, is he in danger of losing regular PT?

If this happens and Cash “platoons” Nelly, he should be fired on the spot 

4 minutes ago, swingbatter said:

Looks like he’s going to the Rays.  Given Cash’s penchant to platoon, is he in danger of losing regular PT?

Nah. But this will probably affect someone in the outfield since Meadows won't be DH anymore.

...but it is the Rays so all logic goes out the window.

Edited by disgruntledf

Making his debut for the Rays tonight. Hitting in the #3 spot and obviously DHing. Hitting behind Choi and in front of Meadows. I like it!

On 7/22/2021 at 3:51 PM, swingbatter said:

Again, good right handed hitters don't get platooned. Only lefties get platooned. Short side platoon guys (right handers) are generally guys that only start because there's a left handed hitter whose abysmal vs lefties.

Cruz has a 125 career WRC+ vs righties, which is well above average.

Edited by brockpapersizer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Maybe this goes in the V&R category, but why do they reset his stat line in printed box scores after a trade within the AL? Its one thing when someone moves across leagues, but what is the purpose beyond confusing the matter with his 2nd HR and .167 BA? He's at 21 HRs and I had to double check for no reason. I read the box scores less than I used to, admittedly not every single game like I did many years ago. Tim Kurkijian still reads them and saves them everyday, that's why he's Tim Kurkijian. Yet when Nelly hits his 11th or 12th TB HR if thats his 30th overall I'll be clueless. 

Anyway, I looked back at his numbers after the trade and wanted to discuss him at some length later, and recognize him as a future Hall of Famer. Particularly what he's done since leaving Texas, starting with the one year in Baltimore, he's been amazing. I'll look back at him later this year and probably have to compare him to Big Papi and other DHs, he's at 438 career HR and has a reasonable chance at 500 the way he's aging.  

Edited by Richard Kimble
Corrected HR total
2 hours ago, BMcP said:

Not sure how his PED history would affect his admission

This article can serve as my response to this. He deserves to be in. That was years ago and he's done nothing but hit since then. I would have argued for Robinson Cano to get a pass too, before he incurred the current 2nd (or is it 3rd?) suspension he is serving this year. But this country is partly based on the idea of giving people 2nd chances. 

https://www.twinkietown.com/2021/7/1/22557471/mlb-minnesota-twins-dh-steroids-should-not-be-synonymous-with-nelson-cruz