NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Nelson Cruz 2021 Outlook

11 minutes ago, Richard Kimble said:

This article can serve as my response to this. He deserves to be in. That was years ago and he's done nothing but hit since then. I would have argued for Robinson Cano to get a pass too, before he incurred the current 2nd (or is it 3rd?) suspension he is serving this year. But this country is partly based on the idea of giving people 2nd chances. 

https://www.twinkietown.com/2021/7/1/22557471/mlb-minnesota-twins-dh-steroids-should-not-be-synonymous-with-nelson-cruz

All true - but I assume you and I aren’t voters.  So I’m not so sure.

22 minutes ago, BMcP said:

All true - but I assume you and I aren’t voters.  So I’m not so sure.

Someone has to break the mold and beat the bias against steroid users eventually, and Cruz fits the bill nicely. Even "steroid user" isn't fair, he claims he was innocent, I prefer the way you worded it as "PED History" but it shows how bad indeed the guilt by association is. Also, if he manages to win a ring with the Rays this year, that would definitely help his case.

Edited by Richard Kimble
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, kmoore1521 said:

MLB App said he was, guess it was a typo on their end, nice, Choi at 1B

It does lead me to believe he will be there in the future though. Hopefully he can muster 5 starts.

• 4 weeks later...

COVID IL list for Cruz today, no info yet but hope its not a long absence and he's fine, health wise. I guess this week and next is when you prefer a COVID stint if you're going to get one, since you can at least expect a return before the end of the year. It could be a day or 10 for Nelly but its totally unpredictable. 

52 minutes ago, Richard Kimble said:

COVID IL list for Cruz today, no info yet but hope its not a long absence and he's fine, health wise. I guess this week and next is when you prefer a COVID stint if you're going to get one, since you can at least expect a return before the end of the year. It could be a day or 10 for Nelly but its totally unpredictable. 

The Rays only have 5 games next week, and 2 are in Philly without the DH.  

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, collucho said:

Do I smell a little 1B start? 

That's the rumor, would be the 1st of his illustrious career there. Nelly's long talked about playing the position and you wonder why it hasn't happened already to this point. Its pretty interesting, actually, and you wonder where this experiment is going next year. I'm glad he's getting to do something he's wanted to his entire career, I don't want him to play there regularly. Its doubtful any team would actually let him. Not that I question Nelly, he's an ageless wonder, but its a big leap. As Ron Washington famously said, and Kyle Schwarber is no doubt finding out, playing 1st base is extremely hard. I also think getting 1B for fantasy would be nice, but it would drive his price up, b/c he's always downgraded a couple rounds for being UTIL only. 

Edited by Richard Kimble

38 minutes ago, collucho said:

3 for 4 in his first start at 1B. Didn't hear about any errors. 5 starts is probably a long shot. Hopefully Ji-Man Choi gets Covid.

He made a few decent plays but also missed a couple routine plays, its an extreme long shot he gets to play 1B outside of the interleague series. They switched him for Diaz late in the game defensively, also. Nelly did have a big smile on his face and seemed to be enjoying himself, which is the main thing. I am going to chastise you for wishing Covid on someone, though I know you don't really mean it (or purely for fantasy purposes you could have just said you hope he gets a contact tracing absence) b/c its not good karma.