NBC Sports Edge Forums

Who?

former fringe prospect for the Mets, double digit pop, playing everyday in Pittsburgh. Was off to a red hot start last year then was injured in a collision and derailed. Now has homered in back to back games. 

what I find interesting is he’s the primary infield backup (so playing with kebryan out), but there are whispers in the organization that he could supplant polanco if the latter struggles. In fact, he started in RF over polanco tonight 

I see a deep NL only flier who is seizing an opportunity and available for free in most leagues ...  obviously mixed leaguers will want to look elsewhere

• tonycpsu changed the title to Philip Evans 2021 Outlook

He's 28 years old. So he's obviously not some phenom.

But his 2018 PCL slash was .256/.327/.493 over 510 PAs and then in 2019 it was .283/.371/.493 over 245 PAs. So he's not a guy who's just there for his glove.

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, Fiveohnine said:

But his 2018 PCL slash was .256/.327/.493 over 510 PAs and then in 2019 it was .283/.371/.493 over 245 PAs. So he's not a guy who's just there for his glove.

you’re definitely onto something. 2 more hits and an xbh today.

Saw an article today where the Mets one spring were giving him some run at 2b one spring before an injury derailed that season too. Then was organizationally blocked by the Cubs powerhouse. Seems like he’s a guy who’s been pretty good and around but has just missed over and over for various reasons. 

https://rumbunter.com/2020/12/30/pittsburgh-pirates-roles-phillip-evans-2021/

Edited by cyberer
  • Like 1
2 minutes ago, Goatstain3 said:

How long is Hayes out?  What happens to Philip, when he returns?

Possibly move to OF. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Goatstain3 said:

How long is Hayes out?  What happens to Philip, when he returns?

If he hits anything like he has, they will find a spot for him. This team has nobody.  He's certainly NL Only gold right now. The statcast stuff above is meaningless right now.  They are pretty meaningless for me from last year too.  He seems decent though.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

If he hits anything like he has, they will find a spot for him. This team has nobody.  He's certainly NL Only gold right now. The statcast stuff above is meaningless right now.  They are pretty meaningless for me from last year too.  He seems decent though.

The things that do matter on the statcast page are whiff % chase % k%.  His game has always been contact oriented in the minors and it’s translating to the majors.  On top of that his exit velos are passable as of now and he definitely has a chance for a little late career power breakout.  Could end up being a really nice piece of they move him around to get at bats and stack his eligibilities.

• Thanks 1

Hard to say anything definitive yet, but he is certainly trending in mostly all positive ways. I was quite happy to secure him as a CI/DH stopgap in my 20 teamer.

Batting 2nd today...and if he continues to hit he should get some fairly regular time when Hayes returns, but I also am starting to think Hayes might not return all that quick too?

• Like 1
22 hours ago, ST. STEVEN said:

Hard to say anything definitive yet, but he is certainly trending in mostly all positive ways. I was quite happy to secure him as a CI/DH stopgap in my 20 teamer.

Batting 2nd today...and if he continues to hit he should get some fairly regular time when Hayes returns, but I also am starting to think Hayes might not return all that quick too?

Think he could eventually play more OF, if/when Hayes returns? He seems pretty solid even if it has been vs my Cubbies 😂 & CIN. 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, DarinB300 said:

Think he could eventually play more OF, if/when Hayes returns? He seems pretty solid even if it has been vs my Cubbies 😂 & CIN. 

Might be his best path? Not sure if he is capable, though? Maybe 1B against lefties and then filling in with 1 start a week at 3B and 2-3 in the OF...

• Like 1

Yeah right now he’s essentially their backup CIF and COF. He’s started multiple games in OF during this hot streak. 

so I think Kebryans return won’t affect him much. I think the plan was to have him play anyway. It’s very telling they felt comfortable releasing Todd Frazier as a backup infielder

plus anyone and everyone on this team will get traded in July 

• Like 1
On 4/7/2021 at 8:05 PM, Fiveohnine said:

Not to be a downer, but that’s a pretty “meh” slash line for the PCL.

Pick the guy up for the hot streak, but I don’t expect a lot of lasting power.  If this my “bench heat” moment, so be it.

1 hour ago, ST. STEVEN said:

Might be his best path? Not sure if he is capable, though? Maybe 1B against lefties and then filling in with 1 start a week at 3B and 2-3 in the OF...

Outside of Hayes their line-up sucks so as long as Evans hits he should play full time.  After all they have to keep him showcased for when they dump him for three magic beans -- their usual return on their trades the last few years -- at the trade deadline.

2 more hits including an RBI double... When I posted this thread i thought I was gonna get laughed out of here, but we may be onto something 

SwStr% of 6.4%, O-Swing% of 20.7% 
Other players in that neighborhood are Mike Trout (7.8%, 15.2%) and Michael Brantley (5.5%, 40.6%) 
Evans' plate discipline combined with his statcast numbers as noted above make him someone to keep an eye on

23 minutes ago, chrisrfu said:

SwStr% of 6.4%, O-Swing% of 20.7% 
Other players in that neighborhood are Mike Trout (7.8%, 15.2%) and Michael Brantley (5.5%, 40.6%) 
Evans' plate discipline combined with his statcast numbers as noted above make him someone to keep an eye on

Yeah, it is still a smaller sample, but the numbers are still moving up yet (from last snapshot)

image.png.8f54101f7564a8172dd091d81a5d7bbb.png