NBC Sports Edge Forums

Already has hit three dongs on the season. I honestly don't know much about him other than he plays for the rockies and his last name makes me think of Vince McMahon.

Discuss

26 minutes ago, PanikAtTheDisco said:

Green light to start him if he's at home against a righty. All you need to know.

Would they still sit him against a lefty even after tonight?

13 minutes ago, pbjfb said:

Would they still sit him against a lefty even after tonight?

Happy to see the 3rd one come against a lefty. Would be nice to see them run him out there against lefties at home at least. Time will tell, but it is the Rockies after all.

10 hours ago, mannymachado said:

This guys goes to San Fran and Los Angeles next week on the road.

Angels Stadium plays well for Left Handed Power Hitters

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, whips02 said:

While this may be true for most, McMahon doesn't profile as a typical LH power hitter and usually gets his HR on balls to center and left.  I believe he only hit one or two HR to right all of last year?  Now with that said he may have made a change this year because he definitely did not have his typical approach last night.  Hopefully he has for the better.

Just be wary about projecting him in the typical LHB mold

• Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, Chase Money said:

Is he worth an aggressive FAAB bid?

If the bidding is done by Monday, I would watch how he does this weekend in SF

You guys expecting him to put up like in 2019 or think he'll take a bigger step forward this season ?

His 1/2/3B eligibility is really nice, especially with 1B being less deep than years past. And being able to slide around whichever position is needed. Like others I'm trying not to get too crazy over a nice start to his season and blow too much budget. My crystal ball is a bit foggy trying to figure him out ROS. 

18 minutes ago, tonywow said:

You guys expecting him to put up like in 2019 or think he'll take a bigger step forward this season ?

His 1/2/3B eligibility is really nice, especially with 1B being less deep than years past. And being able to slide around whichever position is needed. Like others I'm trying not to get too crazy over a nice start to his season and blow too much budget. My crystal ball is a bit foggy trying to figure him out ROS. 

Same, don't know what to make of him yet. Extremely small sample size. I wish there was info about a swing change or something.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, whips02 said:

Didn’t realize it was LAD next week, I had LAA on the brain

Starting against Bumgarner tonight.

McMahon's career OPS is .809 vs. LHP and .739 vs. RHP. If he gets platooned, it would be more about getting a right-handed hitter some PAs rather than hiding McMahon. When he was raking in the 2nd half of 2019, he played pretty much every day.

Edited by SpartyOn4
4 hours ago, Picard56 said:

I wish there was info about a swing change or something.

Here you go

Really good breakdown there, but TL;DR version: His swing mechanics were too complicated and he couldn't catch up to fastballs, so he's trying to simplify.

• Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I know it's still early and dude is red-hot right now, but they are definitely not hiding him against lefties. Batted third and took Urias deep on the road last night. Wish he walked more (taken 1 BB so far this year...) but the power is real. Who needs walks when you can just smack dingers. 

At the very least he's been doing a good job of putting the "only start him at home vs R hand pitching" narrative to bed.

Just now, '71 Bucks said:

I know it's still early and dude is red-hot right now, but they are definitely not hiding him against lefties. Batted third and took Urias deep on the road last night. Wish he walked more (taken 1 BB so far this year...) but the power is real. Who needs walks when you can just smack dingers. 

At the very least he's been doing a good job of putting the "only start him at home vs R hand pitching" narrative to bed.

I think that is the worry, he's in a hot stretch with just one walk. Probably gonna regress a little bit in the batting average and start striking out more. The power is legit, but he isn't this good.

1 minute ago, Picard56 said:

I think that is the worry, he's in a hot stretch with just one walk. Probably gonna regress a little bit in the batting average and start striking out more. The power is legit, but he isn't this good.

Agreed, absolutely he'll regress and the lack of walks is a big worry, but it's good to see he's not just doing it at Coors or against righties. 

I’m not worried about the lack of walks. Last year pitchers could just blow fastballs in the zone past him, so he’s getting to see lots of hittable stuff. The scouting reports will catch on to his improvements pretty quickly and they’ll start being more cautious.

Edited by SpartyOn4