NBC Sports Edge Forums

Season debut for the Rangers tonight and he performed well.

5 IP 3 H 1 ER 0 BB 6 K

He threw 70 pitches, 51 of them for strikes. The Rangers said the plan was to tandem Dunning with Wes Benjamin but Dunning was efficient enough tonight to not need the backup starter. Looking forward to seeing what the Rangers do moving forward because Dane definitely showed us what he's capable of tonight. 

• Like 1

I like Mr. DD, he's certainly not overpowering but he had good command of his pitches last night, and kept the Jays hitters off balance. 

The guys is only 26, and was a 1st round round pick of the Nats back in 2016. The White Sox had to part with him in order to land Lynn this off season. 

I think his future is bright, just not sure that this year will be his true breakout year due to likely IP limit on a rebuilding Rangers team...keep an eye on him though.

20 minutes ago, rrrich46 said:

I'm on board for his 2 start week...anyone watch his first start?

I wasn't able to watch it but here's the blurb from Nick at PL.

Dane Dunning vs TOR (W) – 5.0 IP, 1 ER, 3 Hits, 0 BBs, 6 Ks – 10 Whiffs, 34% CSW, 70 pitches.

I’m not sure if I’m impressed or not by Dunning in this outing. He has a sinker that reminds me of Chris Bassitt‘s in the way it steals called strikes despite being seemingly unimpressive (91.3 mph?!), and it kept the Jays at bay. There was a slider in there as well, though it didn’t do a whole lot — 3/10 CSW with three fouls — and the rest of the repertoire was just there for the free hors d’oeuvres. He gets the Rays and Orioles next and that could work too, so I guess it’s a hold. Not quite in love with a sub 92 mph sinker that relied on called strikes + a 2/10 whiff slider, though.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, SwayzeExpress said:

I wasn't able to watch it but here's the blurb from Nick at PL.

Dane Dunning vs TOR (W) – 5.0 IP, 1 ER, 3 Hits, 0 BBs, 6 Ks – 10 Whiffs, 34% CSW, 70 pitches.

I’m not sure if I’m impressed or not by Dunning in this outing. He has a sinker that reminds me of Chris Bassitt‘s in the way it steals called strikes despite being seemingly unimpressive (91.3 mph?!), and it kept the Jays at bay. There was a slider in there as well, though it didn’t do a whole lot — 3/10 CSW with three fouls — and the rest of the repertoire was just there for the free hors d’oeuvres. He gets the Rays and Orioles next and that could work too, so I guess it’s a hold. Not quite in love with a sub 92 mph sinker that relied on called strikes + a 2/10 whiff slider, though.

Nick is essential reading.

DD is my weekly streamer. I'll take some decent ratios.

I like Dunning going forward, though I doubt we see him go over5 innings unless he is throwing an absolute gen and keeping the pitch count down. Texas seems intent on keeping his innings down,and leaving him in the "opener" type role. If he keeps producing though, there is definitely still value here IMO. Good ratios, handful of Ks, and 5 innings could be good enough for some wins.

• Like 1

Another great start for DD. The kid looks to be the real deal. As I noted above, the Rangers are liked to baby him for a while...does it last another month, or two, or all season?

We’ll have to wait and see. My prediction is they let him hit 90-100 pitches sometime in early June. However, with the Rangers likely to be out of contention by the end of July(if not earlier) expect him to be shutdown around that time. 

Enjoy the starts til then!

I know he’s not going to make it though the entire season given the pitch/innings limitations he’ll likely have this year but ride him while hot ladies and gents! He’s been a solid addition to my roster in the wake of so many early injuries and covid related absences. 

• Like 1

I was holding him and riding the hot streak and just waiting for the league to catch up to him. Nick Pollack of PL did a good write up on him pointing out how he has been getting lucky so far and that his mediocre stuff would catch up to him. He doesn’t have swing and miss stuff and he’s throwing his sinker way too much. Last night he should have been a bench anyway but don’t worry about cutting bait if you’re on the fence. There are better options out there especially considering he might not be pitching late in the season. 

• Like 2