NBC Sports Edge Forums

So, Gio was just released by the Bengals on his own wish.

This doesn't sound like he wants to retire to me? So is he going to sign with another team and what would be the best landing spots?

I know he is rather uninteresting for most of the leagues, but he has been a nice PPR depth piece on my roster over the last years and I wouldn't want to miss that.

Any team that needs a receiving back and backup could find Gio useful.  But I suspect he asked for his release because Cincy asked him to take a pay cut. 

Not sure how many free agent dollars he will command.  And it seems pretty unlikely to me that any NFL team will make him their undisputed starter.

So his ceiling is likely committee back that will have stand-alone value only if there are injuries to the backs ahead of him on the depth chart.  And floor is waiting to get signed as are Gore, McCoy, Gurley, Le'Veon Bell, etc.

I believe Gio was one of the top 20 paid RB's in the league.

So Idk if that means whatever team picks him up has to pay him that big salary, or he's free to sign for whatever

I think the Bills could use him, seeing as he's better than the other 2 bums on that roster

Edited by Chippa
  • Like 1

Next to nobody, at any position, is signing deals above the league minimum.    He's not gonna break that trend.   He'll have to hope the 2-3 teams with a depth need that don't draft a back in a few weeks actually like him.  

23 hours ago, BrianM said:

Next to nobody, at any position, is signing deals above the league minimum.    He's not gonna break that trend.   He'll have to hope the 2-3 teams with a depth need that don't draft a back in a few weeks actually like him.  

I agree.  There is actually a pretty big list of experienced RBs who do not currently have a job.  Bernard may have been better off taking that paycut, insteading of demanding his release, and heading to the back of the line.

James White comparisons are a bit irrelevant. I don't think we've ever seen James White on an offense that has 3 great WRs, 2 (3?) reliable TEs, and 2 other serviceable RBs. How often do we expect the Bucs to be down multiple scores and opt for checkdowns over deep shots?

I'm avoiding this backfield like the plague.

Edited by sSektor
  • Like 2

Agree, it was one thing for White to get fed when it was him, Edelman, and maybe half a Gronk in his last few seasons there.   Gio's probably a league min guy there and is unlikely to be a big part of the game plan.   

Not gonna lie. Excited to see him head to Tampa bay just because it ensures he's added to a backfield I wanted no part of anyway. 

Gio was such an explosive guy back in the day, but he's not the same player anymore. 

I don't think he'll be fantasy relevant in this offense.  I think it's more validation of what a great teammate the GOAT is and how everybody wants to play with him.  Who wouldn't want to enjoy the twilight of his career playing on a loaded team that is the reigning Super Bowl champion?

• Like 1