NBC Sports Edge Forums

Saw no thread on him, and really not much anywhere. In the 20s on various Braves prospect lists. He hasn't been great, with suspect k rates and walk rates, but looked really good yesterday. 

5IP 1 BB, 5Ks 2 hits 0 ER

His fastball spin rate is up a bit, velo up a tick, and slider spin rate up a couple hundred rpm. 

Worth a shot? Any Braves fans have insight on him vs. Bryse? 

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Narrator: cutting bait was a biggie

It’s been pretty well established by people on this forum who know pitching better than me that by some definitions he actually has 4 pitches: FB, 2 sliders (one more like a curve) and a show me chang

One thing the announcers mentioned that I think is important is he actually throws 2 sliders, one that breaks horizontally and one that breaks vertically. So he kinda has 3 offerings without the chang

29 minutes ago, rrrich46 said:

10k ..who watched him? 

Watched whole game, he looked unbelievable. Good slider too and was throwing strikes all night. I’m very excited about him. Think he will stick in the rotation even when Soroka is back.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, rrrich46 said:

10k ..who watched him? 

On 4/8/2021 at 5:53 AM, Picard56 said:

He’s definitely up there with names I can’t even imagine how to pronounce. 

Just Call him HuasKKKKKKKKKKar! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
3 hours ago, 5catstud said:

Anyone have any background on what seems like a velocity increase and improved control (so far based on limited sample size)

Wondering the same.  All of his numbers including ST are god awful so what happened in these 2 starts? 

I watched, more like stared uncontrollably, at the wizardry that unfolded...man, if he's the breakout arm this year, he sure looked like it last night... the ball was dancin at 86-90 then scuds at like 99, 100, punchout pitches, whiffle ball stuff, houdinis, if his pitching was a🍔 it would be called The Swag with the Works....oooooweeeee, he was peacockin on the mound too...kid ...is....leeeeeeeeegit

Edited by dfstout
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

spacer.png AnAwakening...

4 hours ago, 5catstud said:

Anyone have any background on what seems like a velocity increase and improved control (so far based on limited sample size)

see above...

Edited by dfstout
22 minutes ago, knifeparty said:

Wondering the same.  All of his numbers including ST are god awful so what happened in these 2 starts? 

spacer.png An Awakening...

• Haha 1
15 minutes ago, rrrich46 said:

[...]

Chances of sticking ROS?

I'd say he has a chance of sticking. It comes down to Mike Soroka's health, and also Drew Smyly. Soroka obviously has a sure spot if healthy but he had a setback. Then with Smyly, he's always had a bit of trouble going through order third time, and I wonder if he'd be better used as long relief.... I don't think Braves are ready to go away from Smyly but Ynoa could force their hand. Fried, Anderson and Morton are obviously locked in.

• Like 1

per fangraphs

Huascar Ynoa – 15 strikeouts and two walks over two starts (11 IP) will raise the profile of any pitcher. When that pitcher doesn’t turn 23 until May and is pitching for an org that has gotten impressive seasons from Ian Anderson, Mike Soroka, Max Fried and Mike Foltynewicz in the last few seasons, that’s only going to boost the interest. Ynoa has always had the ability to get some K’s, but walks have been a major issue – until now. He had 14 walks in 24 MLB innings coming into 2021 and 45 walks in 97.1 IP across three minor league levels in 2019. Going into Monday night’s gem (6 IP, 10 K, 1 BB, 3 H and one ER on a solo shot), Ynoa has significantly changed his pitch mix, increase his sinker usage from 0.3% in 2020 to 25.6% in 2021. He was throwing 46% sliders and the rest roughly split between the sinker and a four-seam. Then Monday, per Baseball Savant, he continued to throw the slider, but threw only one sinker. There’s some real risk with Ynoa – if he’s a two-pitch pitcher with a 4-seam and slider, like he was Monday and in 2020, he will have trouble as a starting pitcher. If he has found a legit third pitch in the sinker, that could explain and sustain the results. He’s well worth a gamble right now and I would gladly bid $3-$5 on the possibility he has turned a corner. I would be cautious about how often I start him for a bit, and watch those walks.

• Like 1