NBC Sports Edge Forums

3 hours ago, PhilaFanBoy said:

I'd say he has a chance of sticking. It comes down to Mike Soroka's health, and also Drew Smyly. Soroka obviously has a sure spot if healthy but he had a setback. Then with Smyly, he's always had a bit of trouble going through order third time, and I wonder if he'd be better used as long relief.... I don't think Braves are ready to go away from Smyly but Ynoa could force their hand. Fried, Anderson and Morton are obviously locked in.

I can't imagine the Braves would demote Smyly to the bullpen...  Eleven million dollars for middle relief?  Not going to happen...

I could see them going to a six-man rotation before demoting Smyly...

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Narrator: cutting bait was a biggie

It’s been pretty well established by people on this forum who know pitching better than me that by some definitions he actually has 4 pitches: FB, 2 sliders (one more like a curve) and a show me chang

The timeline is less important than making sure he feels completely and utterly embarrassed by his idiocy the entire time he is out.  

3 minutes ago, posty said:

I can't imagine the Braves would demote Smyly to the bullpen...  Eleven million dollars for middle relief?  Not going to happen...

Posty!  

Wow they paid Smyly 11 mil?

1 minute ago, rrrich46 said:

Posty!  

Wow they paid Smyly 11 mil?

Yep, they sure did...  I thought it was a terrible signing when they did it and if they do demote him to the bullpen, it just makes it worse...  Luckily it is only a one-year deal...

1 minute ago, posty said:

I agree. That's why I said I don't think they're ready to go away from Smyly.

But it remains true that Smyly has proved to be fairly brittle over the years. The Braves signed Smyly after he was limited to 4-5 innings with the Giants. He performed well with those limitations and the Braves bullpen could certainly use more options.

Loving what I reading here,  and dfstout  has a great track record of early gems.  But that rotation spot/innings is a huge factor.   A lot of leagues won't let you simply scoop up a guy like this with no real cost associated.   The 100 mph and devastating sliders are fantastic and he might have more talent than spme of the starters.  But for THIS season, does he profile as a long releiver/spot starter, rather than a member of the 5 man? Can he sustain 170 innings or whatever?  Only threw 20 last year and 115, 100 the 2 before in the minors.  

5 minutes ago, Cesare13 said:

Loving what I reading here,  and dfstout  has a great track record of early gems.  But that rotation spot/innings is a huge factor.   A lot of leagues won't let you simply scoop up a guy like this with no real cost associated.   The 100 mph and devastating sliders are fantastic and he might have more talent than spme of the starters.  But for THIS season, does he profile as a long releiver/spot starter, rather than a member of the 5 man? Can he sustain 170 innings or whatever?  Only threw 20 last year and 115, 100 the 2 before in the minors.  

The Braves, when healthy, have Fried, Soroka, Morton, Anderson and Smyly.  Fried, Morton and Anderson have rotation spots locked up.  Soroka, while recovering from the achilies injury also experienced shoulder discomfort, so his short term health is a real question mark.  I think Ynoa's window is to either force a six man rotation when Soroka gets back (probably the best case scenario because then we could count on him longer into the year), fill the void in case Soroka is out for a longer period of time, or force Smyly into the pen somehow.

My philosophy this year is to avoid trying to count on innings and just get the guys who are dealing and have a window and let the chips fall where they may.  It feels unlikely given that no one pitched more than 84 innings last year that more than a handful of pitchers are great bets for 170 innings.  Kind of have to treat this like an NFL coach treats RBs and ride the hot hand until the break down IMO.

• Like 2

With Fried being deep fried (he gave up 8 runs BEFORE the hamstring, so he may be more banged up than we know) Ynoa's chances of sticking increase

• Like 2

If he produces on the mound, then he stays in the rotation. Its as simple as that. He really has only 2 pitches so he's gonna need to develop a 3rd at some point. 

Edited by OrangeCrush
  • Like 2

Well, unfortunately for Drew Smyly & the Braves, Ynoa is locked into their rotation now. Let's hope Smyly can return in a few weeks though. But like Paxton, not good to hear 'forearm'.

3 minutes ago, PhilaFanBoy said:

Well, unfortunately for Drew Smyly & the Braves, Ynoa is locked into their rotation now. Let's hope Smyly can return in a few weeks though. But like Paxton, not good to hear 'forearm'.

why is it unfortunate for the Braves that Ynoa is locked into a roster spot in the rotation?

9 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

why is it unfortunate for the Braves that Ynoa is locked into a roster spot in the rotation?

Because they lost Drew Smyly, potentially long-term. By my phrasing, I meant their rotation is now thinner, with less options.

• Thanks 1

48 degrees today in Chicago. Was constantly blowing into his hand for warmth. Probably couldn't get a good feel for his pitches.

I'm disappointed but he's got the Diamondbacks at home next.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
5 minutes ago, fawkes_mulder said:

If u can’t handle him at his worst, ynoa u don’t deserve him at his best

Feel like this guy is going to tease all season. Great raw stuff but if anything's off (eg. slider today), he's going to get blown up badly. That said, grabbed him as a lottery ticket & already cut bait. No biggie.

• Like 1

Weather could have played a role.  But he is a one pitch pitcher.  Heck of a pitch though.

• Like 1

Cubs have now put up 13 on the Braves, 3 more homers (6 total) after Ynoa left. It's still the 6th inning. Might have just be in the perfect disaster for Ynoa, with the cold, the wind carrying the ball, and the Cubs' bats coming alive.

3 minutes ago, PhilaFanBoy said:

Cubs have now put up 13 on the Braves, 3 more homers (6 total) after Ynoa left. It's still the 6th inning. Might have just be in the perfect disaster for Ynoa, with the cold, the wind carrying the ball, and the Cubs' bats coming alive.

It doesn’t matter I can’t wait till the rosters unlock so I can drop him... 

• Haha 2

Eno over at the Athletic was saying he's a "drop when he blows up" kind of guy. Claimed he only has 1 pitch above average in stuff or command (slider) and only uses 2 pitches (fastball/slider).

I'll hang on in my deeper 16 team league but would be a cut if someone else with upside came along.