NBC Sports Edge Forums

7 minutes ago, Picard56 said:

The sox tend to get people past their prime.... I'm looking at you James Shieldsūüėí

First James Shields mention of the year!

MediumNervousGermanspitz-max-1mb.gif

Edited by Overlord
  • Haha 2
  • Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The name Rotoworld apparently 

*Glances at Aaron Judge *Glances at the shotgun over the mantle

Didn't jay Bruce make this list 5 years ago?

4 minutes ago, Overlord said:

I'm actually an attorney, and the responsible answer is to say I need to review the contract and the union rules, but I would suspect that they would have had a case for voiding the deal.  The only way they wouldn't have is if the contract was drafted in such a way to render age an "immaterial" term ... which is a decided possibility, particularly if Pujols's agent/attorney were on the lookout for that sort of issue.  

Every time an announcer or a publication talks about Pujols's integrity, character, etc., I just have to laugh.  The guy is a stone-cold f***ing liar going all the way back to his high school days and has benefited enormously from continuing to maintain that lie even after he was financially set for life.  

I remember reading Opposing HS coaches doubted his age that they would intentional walk him every AB as a sign of protest.

Craig Kimberly... I was stunned he had any draft value.

Edit: autocorrect typo but I'm leaving it, it fits.

Edited by StevieStats
4 minutes ago, Picard56 said:

I remember reading Opposing HS coaches doubted his age that they would intentional walk him every AB as a sign of protest.

Yup, that's exactly what they did. 

I remember reading an article at some point that indicated that there wasn't an executive in baseball that believed Pujols's lies about how old he was.  While obviously Pujols went on to a Hall of Fame career, I have to think the 2.5-3 year discrepancy between his stated and his actual age really depressed his perceived value as a prospect.

Edited by Overlord
  • Like 1
6 minutes ago, Fbaseballgod said:

With his era jumping over 8, I think we can safely say Matt Harvey 

Matt Harvey is another guy who I can't understand why he hasn't been converted to a reliever yet.  He's down to one maybe slightly above league average pitch and his secondary offerings at this point in his career are garbage (I watched his first start and he has no offspeed pitches that look even league average).

Is it pride with these guys?  Would they rather retire than head out to the bullpen? Is there something mechanical about converting from a starter to a reliever I'm not aware of?  The track record of folks switching up and seeing a resurgence as a quality reliever is incredibly long (Blanton and Miller come to mind recently, but there are tons) so I just don't get why we don't see more of this. 

Edited by Overlord
3 minutes ago, Overlord said:

Matt Harvey is another guy who I can't understand why he hasn't been converted to a reliever yet.  He's down to one maybe slightly above league average pitch and his secondary offerings at this point in his career are garbage (I watched his first start and he has no offspeed pitches that look even league average).

Is it pride with these guys?  Would they rather retire than head out to the bullpen? Is there something mechanical about converting from a starter to a reliever I'm not aware of?  The track record of folks switching up and seeing a resurgence as a quality reliever is incredibly long (Blanton and Miller come to mind recently, but there are tons) so I just don't get why we don't see more of this. 

I bet the Mets are sure happy that Harvey bet on himself and declined that contract they offered to him years ago.

• Like 1
Just now, Picard56 said:

I bet the Mets are sure happy that Harvey bet on himself and declined that contract they offered to him years ago.

That's the example that Atlanta management repeatedly shoved into Albies's face to make him sign the worst contract in modern baseball history.

• Haha 2
14 minutes ago, Picard56 said:

Adam Wainwright?

Waino would grab that shotgun right out of your hand and point it back at you.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
3 hours ago, Overlord said:

I'm actually an attorney, and the responsible answer is to say I need to review the contract and the union rules, but I would suspect that they would have had a case for voiding the deal.  The only way they wouldn't have is if the contract was drafted in such a way to render age an "immaterial" term ... which is a decided possibility, particularly if Pujols's agent/attorney were on the lookout for that sort of issue.  

Every time an announcer or a publication talks about Pujols's integrity, character, etc., I just have to laugh.  The guy is a stone-cold f***ing liar going all the way back to his high school days and has benefited enormously from continuing to maintain that lie even after he was financially set for life.  

Are you just blaming Albert?  I blame the executives they are to blame not Albert. 
Just remember there has been rumors about his age since 1999 and the Angels give him a 10 year contract in 2011. 

1 hour ago, BMcP said:

Waino would grab that shotgun right out of your hand and point it back at you.  

He also had a great season in 2020, and a nice start today. Not quite his time yet. 

15 hours ago, shakestreet said:

Are you just blaming Albert?  I blame the executives they are to blame not Albert. 
Just remember there has been rumors about his age since 1999 and the Angels give him a 10 year contract in 2011. 

We're not going to blame a liar? (Assuming it's true that he lied).

19 hours ago, StevieStats said:

Craig Kimberly... I was stunned he had any draft value.

Edit: autocorrect typo but I'm leaving it, it fits.

I mean, the guy hasn't allowed a run yet, has 9 Ks over 4.2 and has 2 saves.  He's also throwing over 97.  I think we can let the old boy hang around a little longer

• Like 3
1 hour ago, 89Topps said:

I mean, the guy hasn't allowed a run yet, has 9 Ks over 4.2 and has 2 saves.  He's also throwing over 97.  I think we can let the old boy hang around a little longer

Wow, 4 innings, huh?

22 hours ago, Overlord said:

As a fellow attorney, I seriously doubt there is a chance the contract is voidable based on him lying about his age.  Unless the agreement itself contains representations or otherwise makes his age a material term, any lies he told about his age are going to be irrelevant and/or get wiped away by the likely integration clause in the agreement.  

Even if a court were going to entertain extrinsic evidence, it is likely Pujols would be able to show Angels management was on notice that there were good reasons not to rely on his prior statements about his age and use that as a defense against a fraud in the inducement claim.  

Doesn’t make Pujols honest but I think his case would be really strong if LA ever tried to void his deal on this basis.  As you say, we’d need to see the actual contract to get more specific.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, StevieStats said:

Wow, 4 innings, huh?

You can claim small sample size on a pitcher not allowing a run over 4.2 innings but when they've struck out 9 of the 14 batters they've faced it's more signal than noise. I believe Bill James calls this "signature significance". In other words, the performance is too good to be explained by just luck or randomness.