NBC Sports Edge Forums

28 minutes ago, sportsfreak2744 said:

You can claim small sample size on a pitcher not allowing a run over 4.2 innings but when they've struck out 9 of the 14 batters they've faced it's more signal than noise. I believe Bill James calls this "signature significance". In other words, the performance is too good to be explained by just luck or randomness.

He never had an issue with strikeouts though. His SO9 was 13 and 16 the last two years but his ERA was 6.53 and 5.28... quick look and his o-swing is through the roof, got some guys swimging at junk instead of taking the walks that have killed him. 

I already pulled the trigger. He's done. Maybe he comes back a zombie on me...

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The name Rotoworld apparently 

*Glances at Aaron Judge *Glances at the shotgun over the mantle

Didn't jay Bruce make this list 5 years ago?

2 hours ago, StevieStats said:

Wow, 4 innings, huh?

Well, he didn't allow a run in Sept last year either.

Just saying, he might not be cooked after all.

48 minutes ago, StevieStats said:

He never had an issue with strikeouts though. His SO9 was 13 and 16 the last two years but his ERA was 6.53 and 5.28... quick look and his o-swing is through the roof, got some guys swimging at junk instead of taking the walks that have killed him. 

And 2018 & 19 was just 36 innings combined.  So, we're both kind of playing in "Small Sample Theater" here.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, StevieStats said:

You both are just making gut calls right now. Which is fine, but that is all it is. Neither has data on their side for this. It's all very SSS.

Kimbrel being garbage in 2019 was a very predictable outcome since he sat out half the season, then got hurts weeks after. Otherwise you are hinging on a 15 IP 2020 sample. 

• Thanks 1
6 hours ago, Slatykamora said:

You both are just making gut calls right now. Which is fine, but that is all it is. Neither has data on their side for this. It's all very SSS.

Kimbrel being garbage in 2019 was a very predictable outcome since he sat out half the season, then got hurts weeks after. Otherwise you are hinging on a 15 IP 2020 sample. 

I mean he was in decline in Boston and had issues down the stretch.

Guy literally hasn't been good in 3 years. I just shot his dead body 2 more times, want me to keep going? 😆

The year is 2034...everyone who has posted in this thread has been wiped off the planet by Terminators...

In a bunker somewhere in an undisclosed location, Bobby Bonilla calmly cashes his $1M+ paycheck while privately laughing at the fate of humanity.

• Haha 6
8 hours ago, BMcP said:

The year is 2034...everyone who has posted in this thread has been wiped off the planet by Terminators...

In a bunker somewhere in an undisclosed location, Bobby Bonilla calmly cashes his $1M+ paycheck while privately laughing at the fate of humanity.

If people are annihilated by terminators and Bobby Bonilla collects his paycheck, do people still celebrate Bobby Bonilla Day?🤓

19 hours ago, AHF said:

As a fellow attorney, I seriously doubt there is a chance the contract is voidable based on him lying about his age.  Unless the agreement itself contains representations or otherwise makes his age a material term, any lies he told about his age are going to be irrelevant and/or get wiped away by the likely integration clause in the agreement.  

Even if a court were going to entertain extrinsic evidence, it is likely Pujols would be able to show Angels management was on notice that there were good reasons not to rely on his prior statements about his age and use that as a defense against a fraud in the inducement claim.  

Doesn’t make Pujols honest but I think his case would be really strong if LA ever tried to void his deal on this basis.  As you say, we’d need to see the actual contract to get more specific.

I seen some posts where they blame the players (Pedroia) who was injured thinking that the team should void that contract ... 

20 hours ago, Dark Kn19ht said:

Andrew McCutchen?

As a phillies fan I love the exuberance he brings to playing, but not anything else. It always feels like he is about to return to form, and then just disappointment.

11 hours ago, StevieStats said:

I mean he was in decline in Boston and had issues down the stretch.

Guy literally hasn't been good in 3 years. I just shot his dead body 2 more times, want me to keep going? 😆

https://www.mlb.com/cubs/news/craig-kimbrel-reaches-big-save-milestone

Terrific article by Jordan Bastain, of MLB dot com, detailing how Craig Kimbrel regained his mechanics resulting in his recent surge of performance with eyes on save number 350 on the horizon.

• Like 2
22 hours ago, Picard56 said:

Great first baseman of year's past. Joey Votto and Miggy.

I remember listening to like 2 podcasts with Derek Carty, who does the BAT and BAT X projections. And Votto was one of his most underrated players, I even tried to target him way way late as 1B/CI... I thankfully didn't get him

• Haha 2
On 4/8/2021 at 2:38 PM, meh2 said:

Joey Votto. Year 3 of Old Yeller Status.

Homers in back to back games. Hard contact rates elite levels, hitting into some tough luck. Hits third in what is apparently a really good lineup. Could have a pretty strong year. 

• Like 2
24 minutes ago, ryno1980 said:

Homers in back to back games. Hard contact rates elite levels, hitting into some tough luck. Hits third in what is apparently a really good lineup. Could have a pretty strong year. 

Seems like he's given up walking though, he wants to salvage his career by just hitting the ball hard

2 hours ago, Picard56 said:

Seems like he's given up walking though, he wants to salvage his career by just hitting the ball hard

I don’t mind this because his K% is still at 14.9% so he’s not striking out like crazy 

3 hours ago, ryno1980 said:

I'll bet he (Votto) doesn't.

4 hours ago, sportsfreak2744 said:

I'll bet he (Votto) doesn't.

I mean I wasn’t suggesting he’s a top 5 first baseman or something. Strong relative to the past couple years. And “I’ll bet he doesn’t” is awfully hard to argue with. I hadn’t looked at it that way. You changed my mind.