NBC Sports Edge Forums

1 hour ago, ThreadKiller said:

Why? He sucks and has been pretty horrendous for years now (most of his career actually aside from 1 outlier season)...What team should be tripping over themselves to get him signed? Man, I wouldn't want him in the rotation for a team I root for even if he played for free....

Lots of pitchers suck and they still get signed.

In thinking about it, I bet the most likely scenario is that his pride won't allow him to accept a bullpen role, and nobody wants to sign him on as a starter at the price he's asking for.  

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The name Rotoworld apparently 

Didn't jay Bruce make this list 5 years ago?

*Glances at Aaron Judge *Glances at the shotgun over the mantle

Welcome back, at least temporarily, a couple old school names in Neftali Feliz and Jesse Chavez. Chavez gave up 2 ER in 2.1 innings last night with 3ks, and figures to eat up some innings and pad some hitters' stats in his stay. Feliz is a wild card, hard to imagine him being healthy and productive, but who knows. Old Yeller thread followers should be on high alert about Matt Harvey's outing against the Blue Jays tonight. With the Orioles riding a 20 game road losing streak, they desperately need 5 innings of competitive baseball out of the former Dark Knight. If he gets blown up by that dangerous lineup, maybe he gets a pass, or a Red Tag in his locker after the game. 

Phillies purchased the contract of RHP Neftalí Feliz from Triple-A Lehigh Valley.

Advice: Feliz hasn't appeared in the major leagues since the 2017 campaign with the Royals. The 33-year-old righty was phenomenal at Triple-A Lehigh Valley, compiling a microscopic 1.26 ERA, 0.98 WHIP and 23/6 K/BB ratio across 14 1/3 innings to earn a promotion to the Phillies' major-league bullpen. He'll likely operate in a low-leverage relief role, but it's fantastic to see the former Rangers' stopper back in the big leagues again. 

Braves purchased the contract of RHP Jesse Chavez from Triple-A Gwinnett.

Advice: Chavez will serve as the opener for Atlanta on Thursday night against the Reds and figures to go only one or two innings. The well-traveled 37-year-old right-hander had registered a strong 2.25 ERA, 1.00 WHIP, and 27/8 K/BB ratio across 13 relief appearances (20 innings) this season at the Triple-A level.

Edited by Richard Kimble

Dellin Betances will undergo season-ending shoulder surgery according to Mets manager Luis Rojas.

The 33-year-old recently tossed a scoreless inning during a rehab assignment with Triple-A Syracuse, but things obviously took a negative turn since then. No further details are known at this time other than the veteran reliever is expected to miss the rest of the season.

• Like 1
Posted (edited)

Another name out of nowhere...welcome back former Royal great Alcides Escobar! This current iteration has gone 7-12 in 3 games with the Nationals (batted leadoff yesterday) after being deal from KC last weekend. He's probably going to get some run, so is worth a shot in NL-only leagues for AB needy owners. At least he's got more game than Cameron Maybin.

Edited by Richard Kimble
  • Like 1
On 6/30/2021 at 10:01 PM, CardiacDO said:

Jake Arrieta really deserves a mention in this thread. He's last year Jared Weaver bad right now. 

I concur, there's no way he takes another turn with Williams back. I had a laugh this morning, as I set the over/under at 9:30 a.m. for him to hit the wire in my NL only league, where a desperate enough owner had picked him up last week. He was dropped by 8:45, probably as they had their morning coffee and asked themselves why they even bothered.

Meanwhile, I've been calling for his head, but Matt Harvey has been solid his last few turns, but facing the Jays again today is a recipe for trouble.  Still seems the Orioles won't care if he does get blown up, and I'm rooting for him to keep proving me wrong.

Also, time to have a moment of silence for Adam Eaton-the Sox are "Eaton" a lot of dead money on this move 🙄

White Sox designated OF Adam Eaton for assignment. 

Well, that didn't work out. Eaton was signed to a one-year, $7 million contract with an $8.5 million club option for 2022, but he hit just just .201 with a .642 OPS in 58 games before the designation. The White Sox could possibly find a trade market for Eaton, but if not he'll likely be released before the end of next week. Adam Engel comes off the injured list to take his place on the roster. 

I feel like I need to bump this just to recognize how wrong I was on Kimbell 😂

While I'm at it let's bury Charlie Blackmon (maybe this will wake him up!!)

• Like 2

How about we Old Yeller Home run derby and the All star game.  I bet the ratings will be low. deGrom Altuve Correa already said they ain't playing in it. I am  sure a few others will also opt out.

Just now, mks said:

How about we Old Yeller Home run derby and the All star game.  I bet the ratings will be low. deGrom Altuve Correa already said they ain't playing in it. I am  sure a few others will also opt out.

Booooo

Altuve and Correa are punking out, don't like it. deGrom has injuries to deal with, he has an excuse sorta, but would prefer he show up.

All-Star game is an honor and great American tradition.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, StevieStats said:

While I'm at it let's bury Charlie Blackmon (maybe this will wake him up!!)

on that theme, it's time to Old Yeller Yoan Moncada!

3 minutes ago, Members_Only_76 said:

Booooo

Altuve and Correa are punking out, don't like it. deGrom has injuries to deal with, he has an excuse sorta, but would prefer he show up.

All-Star game is an honor and great American tradition.

I frankly got more respect for a player that tell MLB to stick it then I do for a player that shows up and plays in a meaningless game. Pray tell If a player gets hurt from a contending team and that team suffers missing the playoffs.  The ASG use to mean something when we had no interlg play. But its lost its luster since then.

Just now, mks said:

I frankly got more respect for a player that tell MLB to stick it then I do for a player that shows up and plays in a meaningless game. Pray tell If a player gets hurt from a contending team and that team suffers missing the playoffs.  The ASG use to mean something when we had no interlg play. But its lost its luster since then.

they're not sticking it to the MLB, they're sticking it to the fans.....AGAIN (cheaters, remember)

the ASG still means something to a lot of fans.

19 minutes ago, Members_Only_76 said:

they're not sticking it to the MLB, they're sticking it to the fans.....AGAIN (cheaters, remember)

the ASG still means something to a lot of fans.

I am a fan and I never watch the ASG anymore. Could care less about it since the tie game.

8 minutes ago, mks said:

I am a fan and I never watch the ASG anymore. Could care less about it since the tie game.

Any fan should be watching the ASG this year to watch Ohtani, which is why I suspect you are derailing the Old Yeller with a Vent and Rant post. You're not into Ohtani so you don't want to watch him shine, fine, your decision. As for the tie game...it was almost 20 years ago, so maybe get over it? The ASG is one of baseball's biggest stages next to the Fall Classic, you want it to go the route of the Pro Bowl or something meaningless like that?

• Like 6
6 minutes ago, Richard Kimble said:

Any fan should be watching the ASG this year to watch Ohtani, which is why I suspect you are derailing the Old Yeller with a Vent and Rant post. You're not into Ohtani so you don't want to watch him shine, fine, your decision. As for the tie game...it was almost 20 years ago, so maybe get over it? The ASG is one of baseball's biggest stages next to the Fall Classic, you want it to go the route of the Pro Bowl or something meaningless like that?

In fairness, dude did say he 'could care less' which indicates at least some level of interest?

• Thanks 5
2 hours ago, mks said:

Or, you're just not 12 years old anymore.

On 7/9/2021 at 5:31 AM, Richard Kimble said:

More and More players are opting out of the ASG due to its meaninglessness. Darvish Kershaw deGrom 3 top NL pitchers will not be there I expect a few more soon to follow their lead. The ASG did have meaning long time ago But its nothing now and has not been since the game was called in a tie. Also putting WS home field on this game was a Dumb gimmick to bring so sort of meaning to the game. Its meaningless its like the pro bowl in football the top Pitchers like the top  QBs will not show up. If they want to add meaning to the ASG give the winning team 1 million to each player and the losing team 0 then the players mighty play hard 

Edited by mks
1 minute ago, mks said:

More and More players are opting out of the ASG due to its meaninglessness. Darvish Kershaw deGrom 3 top NL pitchers will not be there I expect a few more soon to follow their lead. The ASG did have meaning long time ago But its nothing now and has not been since the game was called in a tie. Also putting WS home field on this game was a Dumb gimmick to bring so sort of meaning to the game. Its meaningless its like the pro bowl in football the top Pitchers like the top  QBs will not show up. If they want to add meaning to the ASG give the winning team 1 million to each player and the losing team 0 then the players mighty play hard 

OK but put it into the All Star game thread, not the Old Yeller thread.  I agree, my interest in the game has declined; I find the home run derby to be the premier, must-watch event, where players are trying their best. The ASG can be a little annoying when all the stars are gone after the 5th inning, and the key spot in the 8th inning will be decided by something like Gregory Soto v. Jake Cronenworth or Eduardo Escobar. 

I really dislike the new uniforms. I don't understand it, let them wear their regular jerseys, that's one of the things that fans tune in for, to see their guy. There are tons of legitimate criticisms against the ASG and MLB in general for letting things decline over the years, but the teams are pretty good this year, and the few controversies or sit-outs, those happen every year too. In general, being named an All-Star in MLB is a high honor, only the NBA All-Star team is a little more select due to fewer spots, more snubs, etc., but the chance to see FTJ, Acuna, Vlad, etc. on the same field is just as bring a draw as Shohei. But even you must admit you'll have to watch it this year for Ohtani-even if you want to root against him, its must see TV. 

22 hours ago, Fbaseballgod said:

Jake Arrieta and Matt Harvey are like zombie dogs that you need to put down again and again and again and again 

The ones in I Am Legend were pretty fierce, also recently some in Army of the Dead were pretty scary. Not as scary as the thought that Trevor Williams' likely 5.5 ERA represents a solid 1+ER improvement over Arrieta for the Cubs.

Jon Lester needs to join them too, but he's 5 Ws away from 200 total, so he's going to try like hell to get there. Whether the Nationals allow him to try in the rotation in the second half depends on the standings, but as for now they don't have much alternative.

• Like 1

Here's your daily Old Yeller update:

Free agent left-hander Cole Hamels will hold a showcase for teams on July 16 in Texas.

Advice: Hamels has indicated for several months that he intends to pitch this season, and he'll finally hold a showcase for interested teams later this month. The 37-year-old left-hander was limited to just one start during the pandemic-shortened 2020 campaign due to shoulder and triceps injuries. There should be plenty of interest from contending teams in need of starting rotation help.

Don't pick this man up, unless he signs with the Dodgers. 

On 7/10/2021 at 11:07 AM, Richard Kimble said:

OK but put it into the All Star game thread, not the Old Yeller thread.  I agree, my interest in the game has declined; I find the home run derby to be the premier, must-watch event, where players are trying their best. The ASG can be a little annoying when all the stars are gone after the 5th inning, and the key spot in the 8th inning will be decided by something like Gregory Soto v. Jake Cronenworth or Eduardo Escobar. 

I really dislike the new uniforms. I don't understand it, let them wear their regular jerseys, that's one of the things that fans tune in for, to see their guy. There are tons of legitimate criticisms against the ASG and MLB in general for letting things decline over the years, but the teams are pretty good this year, and the few controversies or sit-outs, those happen every year too. In general, being named an All-Star in MLB is a high honor, only the NBA All-Star team is a little more select due to fewer spots, more snubs, etc., but the chance to see FTJ, Acuna, Vlad, etc. on the same field is just as bring a draw as Shohei. But even you must admit you'll have to watch it this year for Ohtani-even if you want to root against him, its must see TV. 

I love Ohtani But I still won't be watching. who cares what he does in a exibition game vs middle relief pitchers. Or who cares how many meaningless Homers he hits in HRD vs cookie pitches. .  2nd some of the reason you state  ( changing the  unis, Game deciede by less then all star calabier  players ect ect is a reason to  Old yeller the game. I won;t watch BUT I think it be funny of Juan Soto beats Ohtani 1st rd in Home run derby. Ohtani is the only drawing card to the whole 2 day event. I just hope nobody get hurt playing this meaningless game